this filter is the best

I do get that these are not lab ISO tests, my question is more along the lines of: where exactly are they going wrong with their testing? What is the flaw that makes their test put the Boss over the Ultra in efficiency?
Could be a number of things. If any of those filters are in any level of bypass when the testing is ran, it's going to skew the particle count data. If any of those filters have any kind of internal leakage, it's going to skew the results. The way they "clean-up" the system between tests could be suspect. It could even be that the samples got mixed up somewhere along the line between testing and then them being handled by the PC lab.

But the bottom line is when you look at the ranking of their "efficiency" tests compared to the ISO 4548-12 ranking of those filters, there's more than one filter that doesn't rank the same way based on the ISO efficiency specs, which says their results are suspicious and not to be taken as gospel like may do when they see YT videos like that. I will take an ISO 4548-12 spec rating over any home-made testers results on YT.

Hey dudes,

Relatively new to this, trying to find spec sheets and filtering or rather just do my best at giving myself the best for my application.

So far, as for my application I've found the carquest 84806 claiming to filter 99.5% at 20micron and is in the lead. Any help finding better would be greatly appreciated.

I've found a few useful articles that I'm trying to put into practice. ie: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/whats-in-your-filter-media-types-explained.345164/

For reference the Mann HU925/4Y claims 99% at 40 micron (ick).
This is for the purolator filter https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/l25692-purolator-classic-specification-sheet.375069/ and seems to be the same as the Mann for specs.

So uhhh

What should I use to get the oil to the right place at the right time with the most filtration efficiency possible? Seems to be between MANN/Purolator, Carquest, and a FRAM

FRAM XG10415 which claims 99% >20microns​

So uhhh

What should I use to get the oil to the right place at the right time with the most filtration efficiency possible? Seems to be between MANN/Purolator, Carquest, and a FRAM

FRAM XG10415 which claims 99% >20microns​

I think the pure ones are fine filters and highly efficient. Lota folks around here are liking the PG/carquest filters now.
The Boss is made like a tank, IMO probably one of the best out there now.
If it’s like a recent post of an xg that tore within 7k or so, an xg might might flow really well for you if it has an extra hole through the media lol?

PureOne efficiency spec sheets are all over the place. Many PureOnes are shown with ISO 4548-12 efficiency of 99% @ 30u or even more, the smaller sized ones are at 40u. Every Boss spec sheet shows 99% at >46u. Some PureOnes are 99% @ 25u, which is pretty decent. But Purolator can't even show the same efficiency of their referenced filter (30001) on their website to match what the official spec sheet shows - that goes for the PureOne and the Boss. Purolator and now M+H made filters (including Motorcrafts and Moble 1 fiters) have always led in the torn media department.

Last edited:
Hey dudes,

Relatively new to this, trying to find spec sheets and filtering or rather just do my best at giving myself the best for my application.

So far, as for my application I've found the carquest 84806 claiming to filter 99.5% at 20micron and is in the lead. Any help finding better would be greatly appreciated.

I've found a few useful articles that I'm trying to put into practice. ie: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/whats-in-your-filter-media-types-explained.345164/

For reference the Mann HU925/4Y claims 99% at 40 micron (ick).
This is for the purolator filter https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/l25692-purolator-classic-specification-sheet.375069/ and seems to be the same as the Mann for specs.
Good Afternoon Oilgeek,
I look at 3 performance criteria in an oil filter; the efficiency @ micron level and life rating and then look to pricing for value.
1. CarQuest 84806 claims 99.5% @ 20 microns @ 10K mile life for $14.79.
2. Fram Ultra Synthetic XG10415 is >99% @ 20 microns @ 20k mile life for $16.93 (Amazon)
3. Fram Tough Guard TG10415 is 99% @20 microns @15k mile life for $13.30 (Amazon)
4. Fram Extra Guard CH10415 is 95% @ 20 microns @ 10k mile life for $9.99 (Amazon)

IMHO the Tough Guard is the best for you because you'll get 50% more filter life and near identical filtration performance for $1.49 (10%) less . . . a good value for you also. If filter life is a high priority for you, the Ultra Synthetic would be your best filter.

I think the pure ones are fine filters and highly efficient. Lota folks around here are liking the PG/carquest filters now.
The Boss is made like a tank, IMO probably one of the best out there now.
If it’s like a recent post of an xg that tore within 7k or so, an xg might might flow really well for you if it has an extra hole through the media lol?
look up the application before replying.

Good Afternoon Oilgeek,
I look at 3 performance criteria in an oil filter; the efficiency @ micron level and life rating and then look to pricing for value.
1. CarQuest 84806 claims 99.5% @ 20 microns @ 10K mile life for $14.79.
2. Fram Ultra Synthetic XG10415 is >99% @ 20 microns @ 20k mile life for $16.93 (Amazon)
3. Fram Tough Guard TG10415 is 99% @20 microns @15k mile life for $13.30 (Amazon)
4. Fram Extra Guard CH10415 is 95% @ 20 microns @ 10k mile life for $9.99 (Amazon)

IMHO the Tough Guard is the best for you because you'll get 50% more filter life and near identical filtration performance for $1.49 (10%) less . . . a good value for you also. If filter life is a high priority for you, the Ultra Synthetic would be your best filter.
filtration efficiency is great, and appreciate your breakdown of the different options. I'm also concerned about flow as well though. My engine is no stranger to 6k RPM a few times a drive..

PureOne efficiency spec sheets are all over the place. Many PureOnes are shown with ISO 4548-12 efficiency of 99% @ 30u or even more, the smaller sized ones are at 40u. Every Boss spec sheet shows 99% at >46u. Some PureOnes are 99% @ 25u, which is pretty decent. But Purolator can't even show the same efficiency of their referenced filter (30001) on their website to match what the official spec sheet shows - that goes for the PureOne and the Boss. Purolator and now M+H made filters (including Motorcrafts and Moble 1 fiters) have always led in the torn media department.
carquest seems to have me currently just based on my not wanting my cartridge to ever suffer torn media.

I'm also concerned about flow as well though. My engine is no stranger to 6k RPM a few times a drive..
All major brand name filters will all have pretty low flow vs dP curves ... meaning that a +/- 1 or 2 difference in filter flow dP PSI really isn't going to matter at all.

Hard to believe that the premium is 99.5 at 20 when it’s the same filter as the Microgard select; and they’re rated for 99 at 25

Hard to believe that the premium is 99.5 at 20 when it’s the same filter as the Microgard select; and they’re rated for 99 at 25
Could be different media. Just because one company supposedly makes many brands doesn't mean the same exact media is used in them all.

For those that know from a different thread - I emailed Premium Guard 12 days ago asking some questions about their efficiency statements on their website, I have not seen any response yet. Doubt they will even reply if they haven't by now.

Could be different media. Just because one company supposedly makes many brands doesn't mean the same exact media is used in them all.

For those that know from a different thread - I emailed Premium Guard 12 days ago asking some questions about their efficiency statements on their website, I have not seen any response yet. Doubt they will even reply if they haven't by now.

I find it so sad that it's actually rare to get a response from a company when you email them for technical info. Over the past 22 years I bet only 10% of my emails have actually gotten an answer. What's the point of even giving out an email address for technical info if nobody is going to answer it? And even when they do, most of the time they don't give you the info you're looking for, and just give a canned response that sounds like it was written by someone in the marketing department instead of someone with technical knowledge.

I find it so sad that it's actually rare to get a response from a company when you email them for technical info. Over the past 22 years I bet only 10% of my emails have actually gotten an answer. What's the point of even giving out an email address for technical info if nobody is going to answer it? And even when they do, most of the time they don't give you the info you're looking for, and just give a canned response that sounds like it was written by someone in the marketing department instead of someone with technical knowledge.
I agree 100%.

I sent a second email to Premium Guard just now to see if they will respond this time.
Their marketing is all over the place. If you look at their motorcycle filters they say 99% at 5 microns while the Amazon store says 96% at 20 microns.

Im gonna say whoever did their website was a marketing intern of some cheap web coder hired from Fiver.

I'd probably would find it more practical to do a particle count in a used oil analysis to get a feel the effectiveness of their filters.

As I said before, PG is good at sourcing leveraging oversea partners while being one step above to a typical Alibaba contract manufactuerer.

If im feeling prejudice, leaning more to chineseium rock catchers until proven otherwise.

Back