this filter is the best

Hey dudes,

Relatively new to this, trying to find spec sheets and filtering or rather just do my best at giving myself the best for my application.

So far, as for my application I've found the carquest 84806 claiming to filter 99.5% at 20micron and is in the lead. Any help finding better would be greatly appreciated.

I've found a few useful articles that I'm trying to put into practice. ie: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/whats-in-your-filter-media-types-explained.345164/

For reference the Mann HU925/4Y claims 99% at 40 micron (ick).
This is for the purolator filter https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/l25692-purolator-classic-specification-sheet.375069/ and seems to be the same as the Mann for specs.

Hey dudes,

Relatively new to this, trying to find spec sheets and filtering or rather just do my best at giving myself the best for my application.

So far, as for my application I've found the carquest 84806 claiming to filter 99.5% at 20micron and is in the lead. Any help finding better would be greatly appreciated.

I've found a few useful articles that I'm trying to put into practice. ie: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/whats-in-your-filter-media-types-explained.345164/

This is for the purolator filter https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/l25692-purolator-classic-specification-sheet.375069/ and seems to be the same as the Mann for specs.
Yes, the Mann filter you referenced is the same as the Purolator version (Purolator is sourcing from Mann). Unfortunately, there are not many filter manufacturers that are willing to show you testing data like M+H does. My hunch is you won't get an ISO testing result for the filter you need to use from Carquest (Some are now Premium Guard made filters). I like sales claims but I like actual black & white ISO testing data even better. That will be the only true way to know which of your filters are "Better". Some will come along and restate what the sales brochures claim but like I said the testing results are the true answer. If your Carquest ends up being a Premium Guard made filter they've been excellent quality but could not tell you what the individual performance would be without seeing ISO test results. Great thing about that Spec Sheet you referenced is that it's the data us consumers actually need to make a buying decision.

Hey dudes,

If the Carquest is the best oil filter for your application, Great. I would look at 3 things:

1) Best Oil
2) Best Air Filter
3) Best Oil Filter

I think the oil and air filter are more important than the Oil Filter.

Yes, the Mann filter you referenced is the same as the Purolator version (Purolator is sourcing from Mann). Unfortunately, there are not many filter manufacturers that are willing to show you testing data like M+H does. My hunch is you won't get an ISO testing result for the filter you need to use from Carquest (Some are now Premium Guard made filters). I like sales claims but I like actual black & white ISO testing data even better. That will be the only true way to know which of your filters are "Better". Some will come along and restate what the sales brochures claim but like I said the testing results are the true answer. If your Carquest ends up being a Premium Guard made filter they've been excellent quality but could not tell you what the individual performance would be without seeing ISO test results. Great thing about that Spec Sheet you referenced is that it's the data us consumers actually need to make a buying decision.
The man himself. I looked up your profile and tried to search for if you'd posted other filters for my engine but I came up empty handed, unfortunately.
Thanks for the reply, legend!

If the Carquest is the best oil filter for your application, Great. I would look at 3 things:

1) Best Oil
2) Best Air Filter
3) Best Oil Filter

I think the oil and air filter are more important than the Oil Filter.
I'll soon be going to an un-oiled after market filter for my b6304t4 because I like the noise :p

As far as oil goes, I thought it inappropriate to hatch that discussion in the oil filter forum, but I've just been running A40 and VW 502 specced API SN Plus oils. Viscosity at 100c around 11.0-12.2. I'm needing more knowledge in this area as well, clearly.

I'll soon be going to an un-oiled after market filter for my b6304t4 because I like the noise :p

As far as oil goes, I thought it inappropriate to hatch that discussion in the oil filter forum, but I've just been running A40 and VW 502 specced API SN Plus oils. Viscosity at 100c around 11.0-12.2. I'm needing more knowledge in this area as well, clearly.

You drive a Volvo, forget about the aftermarket air filter, if you are looking for noise, put on a different Muffler. I know this is the Oil Filter Forum, but there are other filters on your car. You are already using a good oil that is going into your best oil filter, why not add the best Air Filter into the mix!

best filter you can buy would be an OG wire backed Fram Ultra or Titanium, next best is the fram endurance series (amsoil EAO, royal purple filters are the same) then probably the premium guards.

94010 Carquest premium works on later Pentastars and is also listed at 99.5% at 20 microns, for anyone interested. $11.?? at Advance Auto.

The man himself. I looked up your profile and tried to search for if you'd posted other filters for my engine but I came up empty handed, unfortunately.
Thanks for the reply, legend!
ha ha, thanks for the kind words
The data that's available from M+H is what I've stuck to posting on here. That has been my main complaint about other filter companies is the lack of actual testing data available to us but that's what they want. They want to make performance claims with little asterisks that reference a single filter that was tested lol. Doesn't help you & I when we don't run that specific filter. IMO the "Best Filter" is the one you have ISO filter testing data in front of you. It tends to cut through the sales pitches. However, there are many that are perfectly satisfied with the sales pitches. That being said the Carquest (Premium Guard) filters are excellent quality regardless of their efficiency claim so I don't think you can go wrong with either filter. Thanks!

When you look at the M+H Spec Sheets, it makes you realize that most are not that great in efficiency. And the filters models they reference on their website do not match the efficiency they show in the Spec Sheet for that same filter. M+H is all over the place.

If he is like most of us, he has been lurking in the background, visiting BITOG, but not joining, for some time now, and finally decided to take the plunge.
This is the truth!! I religiously lurked for almost 20 years before joining. Finally retired and pulled the trigger this year. I had already known the legends, the good ole boys, and the goon squad by that point. 😂

The "best filter" depends on each individuals definition as "best". What's your criteria of "best" ... Efficiency? ... Looks for the BITOG centerfold? ... Cost? ... Availability? ... Color of the can? ... The perception that if "flow better" ... Actual test data ... ???

The "best filter" depends on each individuals definition as "best". What's your criteria of "best" ... Efficiency? ... Looks for the BITOG centerfold? ... Cost? ... Availability? ... Color of the can? ... The perception that if "flow better" ... Actual test data ... ???
The mythical gold can fits all of that once upon a time, unfortunately First Brands ruined that. Maybe we're entering an era of good looking rock catchers that meet the centerfold and media that tears long before they meet their rated service life lol. Got a life time supply of the good stuff in my prepper stash but can't say for others here.

You just joined? How do you already know the Legends of Bitog?
That would be a great post to start! Who are the legends? Who are most helpful? Who are the most informed about certain topics - we got it all on BITOG and really a great group of well behaved people too!

The mythical gold can fits all of that once upon a time, unfortunately First Brands ruined that.
As the saying goes, "Nothing good lasts forever". The FB "ship steerers" didn't even realize they had a GOAT, and for some most likely money driven reason crashed the ship into the rocks ... at least in the "looks for the centerfold" department. As far as actual performance, well you'll have to trust their specs or spend lots of money to have it ISO tested to verify, like Ascent's testing did.

Last edited:
On top of the spec sheet data for any given brand, let's not forget the general overall perceived filter market downward quality trend. Pretty much every brand has been shown to have significant quality failures, regardless of price and reputation. That's not to say all filters are junk (they are not). And selecting good efficiency isn't important (it certainly is). But none of that means much when the filter you picked off the shelf fails in the field with a media void or separation of components.

The "best" filter on a spec sheet means diddly-squat if it doesn't hold up in application. I'd prefer to have a "good enough" filter that actually stayed intact over a super-great filter that fails.

Just sayin' ...

Last edited:
As the saying goes, "Nothing good lasts forever". The FB "ship steerers" didn't even realize they had a GOAT, and for some most likely money driven reason crashed the ship into the rocks ... at least in the "looks for the centerfold" department. As far as actual performance, well you'll have to trust their specs or spend lots of money to have it ISO tested to verify, like Ascent's testing did.
And, remember, even the best (OG Ultra) had an Achilles heel-thin can rust, usually under the Sure-Grip coating. So, nobody's perfect...:rolleyes:

Back