Oil filter gasket.....Oh no you didn't!

I've always used the old oil, never once had an issue. I literally don't even smear it with my finger, I just "kiss" the new filter to the old filter to get a little oil onto the o-ring then screw it on. I don't pre-fill filters either unless they are very large. If your engine blows up from a few seconds of the car building oil pressure (which happens if you have a failed ADBV anyway) the engine wasn't long for this world to begin with.

I will say that on a brand new engine, or one that has been sitting for years, I'll crank it over for a few seconds to build oil pressure before starting just because the oil film isn't on the internal parts yet.

*GRAPHIC CONTENT WARNING*

I don’t wipe off the dirty oil from the flange and simply install the new filter dry since there is lots of oil on the flange already. By the time the filter is tight the gasket will be well lubricated.

I’ve done more than 100 like this and have not had one issue. I don’t prefill either. I also use the same filter for two OCI often as well. I’m sure all my engines are on the brink of failure because of my reckless ways …

Yep, absolutely, do what works for you. Quicklube shops around the country don't even go this far and the engines still outlast the rest of the vehicle.

IMO, the main reason I would suggest wiping down the mating surface is to verify (double-check) the gasket or a piece of the gasket isn't stuck on and preventing a good seal. So long as that isn't the case, I don't even think it's necessary.

I found out if you take a filter off and then reuse it the '3/4 turn past contact' goes out the window as the gasket is already compressed.

I found out if you take a filter off and then reuse it the '3/4 turn past contact' goes out the window as the gasket is already compressed.

Yeah.. can of worms talking about this, but if I take a spin-off filter off it's going in the trash. Not worth the risk of hoping the gasket properly seals after being recompressed the second time.

Yep, absolutely, do what works for you. Quicklube shops around the country don't even go this far and the engines still outlast the rest of the vehicle.

IMO, the main reason I would suggest wiping down the mating surface is to verify (double-check) the gasket or a piece of the gasket isn't stuck on and preventing a good seal. So long as that isn't the case, I don't even think it's necessary.
Good practice for sure. I do always look to make sure the gasket isn’t there and even with the residual “dirty” oil left on the flange it’s clear to see it’s free from debris.

So, I'm SUCH a hypocrite. Changed sons oil last weekend and was thinking about this thread. So, cracked open the new jug of oil and spread it on the new filter gasket.........maybe even added some oil to it. That's all I'm saying.....

:)

Back