Who makes special trips for gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ekpolk
You guys don't have hurricanes in Saskatchewan, do you...?
wink.gif

Landlocked and proud of it!

having said I wouldn't do it, I just did it. Sunday mornings after the grocery store run, Miss Linda and I usually go out for coffee. She wasn't up to it, so I ran the two miles to my usual station and put in five bucks.

I had my car parked outside the compound and had to move it anyway; and I needed a couple of gallons at least to get me through to this next weekend.

But on the way back I scored some donuts, so it wasn't only for gas.

I did at least once. It was December 24, 1973. We planned to set off on a 700 mile trip after opening our Christmas presents the next morning.

Originally Posted By: labman
I did at least once. It was December 24, 1973. We planned to set off on a 700 mile trip after opening our Christmas presents the next morning.

1973?!? What a memory.

There's no gas station on my usual route so filling up may qualify as a 'special trip' - I fill up the wife's car on Sundays and mine every 4-5 weeks by taking a trip to the nearest Shell station about a mile from our house.

Originally Posted By: H2GURU
poker,
fact #1 In the Northeast prices are the same everywhere, varying state to state only by the amount of taxes applied. I know this because I get to look every day... every where here!

Was this in dispute at any point? As "grasshopperish" as it may sound, I really don't shop price, except very casually. There are two Shell stations, and the Citgo convenience store a mile from my house where I usually get gas. The prices are rarely "the same," but equally rarely are they ever more than a nickel off from one another. As alien as it may seem up there (and I'm not talking down to you all -- I grew up in NH), ensuring that I have supply on hand the next time we get 'caned is my top priority, not price.

fact #2 The one rogue station thats busy with the lower price is ripping off everyone as once I managed to put 20 gallons in my 18.5 gallon tank that wasn't empty. I'm sure you can do that math.
And the guy that owns the place is still alive, why??? J/K of course, but you have to admit, it's still a satisfying fantasy...

fact #3 All gas is the same due to EPA regs... slight additives for injector cleaning, probably more like consumer cleaning.

So what your're really saying is that they're -- ummm -- different, because the additives different companies add, slight or not, to comply with EPA regs, are different. If that's what you're saying, I would partially agree with you on that. There isn't much difference, but it's still there nevertheless. EPA sets the "floor". Oil companies are free to go above if they wish, so long as they stay within all the regs. What I find intriguing about the TT standard is that the initiative came from the car makers, not gasoline marketers. When car makers as diverse as BMW, Toyota, Honda, Audi, GM, and VW actually agree on something (that their cars are having problems with EPA min spec fuels), it's pretty remarkable. Anyway, since the prices are very nearly the same, I see no reason NOT to use the fuels made by companies that adhere to the TT specs. Do you?

I would say that more is wasted looking for cheap prices than is ever saved. It was more of a factor 20 years ago but the big boys are in charge now and everyone is going to PAY.
No problem with that at all. About the best you can do to counter it is buy oil company stock... I haven't wasted a nanosecond in the last ten years looking for less expensive fuel. Now, I may waste a bit of time, and even some fuel, executing my "fuel plan," but come the next hurricane, we'll have a cold 'fridge, a hot coffee maker, a window AC unit that's ON, lights, and communications. Heck, I even have a secondary stock of a few extra tanks of gas for the grill. I'm not a fully rabid survivalist, but my family and I will endure a minimum of suffering after the next hurricane blows through.
cheers3.gif

The only time I'd do this is if I plan to leave on a long road trip the next morning. The road I take to get on the highway is in the opposite direction that I go to get gas, so I can just drive out of my driveway, make a right, a left and jump on Central Expressway instead of making all those detours to get to the gas station.

Otherwise, I fill up on the way home from work the day that the fuel light comes on.

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
. . .
Otherwise, I fill up on the way home from work the day that the fuel light comes on.

Having spent almost a decade flying jets in the Marines, I just simply can't do that! Nevermind the hurricane threat. One of my little rituals back in those days was reminding myself every time we started engines that, one way or the other, in three hours, thirty minutes, we were going to be back on the ground. It was up to us to make sure that we got there "gracefully." It's now been almost 20 years since I last strapped on a jet, and to this day, I absolutely can't be that cavalier about fuel!

I consider half a tank my reserve. I know on the new mexico side I can get gas about 20 cents cheaper and if I am going to be down here I will top off in NM if I am in Colorado and need fuel (half a tank) I fill up there. The only time I get into my reserve is on long 4 wheeling trips and on highway trips.

Same reason I pack 3 days of food and water and a sleeping bag on a "day" trip. Old habits die hard.

Occasionally, although since I usually fill up at either the Meijer or Wal-Mart/Murphy in the next county, technically, all of my trips to fill-up are special.
LOL.gif

But I count a "special" trip as being one where I leave the house to go get gas without stopping at the respective store and coming right back home, and I occasionally do that; usually if I need to make an early start the next morning.

Well i am not sure this exactly fits your thread, but if i need gas and i see that the gas truck is there resupplying the station, i will head somewhere else for a fillup. i don't want the stirred up debris that may be floating in their tanks from getting into my car.

I always keep my tank over 1/2 full so as to never have to make a fuel run. But the wife is a different story. I do keep a 5 gal can in the garage for those days when she says she may not make it to the gas station in the morning
frown.gif

So my 5 gal stash is just my own time/trouble saving device.

Originally Posted By: PT1
I always keep my tank over 1/2 full so as to never have to make a fuel run. But the wife is a different story. I do keep a 5 gal can in the garage for those days when she says she may not make it to the gas station in the morning
frown.gif

So my 5 gal stash is just my own time/trouble saving device.

Considering your context, your five gallons is probably worth every bit as much as my fifty!
wink.gif

In my DD, I fill up when I'm in the area of the stations that sell E85. There are 2, one in my home town, and one station I pass regularly throughout the workweek. The truck gets filled up before the travel trailer is hooked up.. that one gets trips for fuel only. My wifes Envoy gets fuel every weekend when we are out running errands. I was surprised to see that Mobil is not TT fuel. That is usually what we run in the truck and Envoy. Mobil and Amoco are right next to each other, we usually pick Mobil. javacontour and I must be close to each other. The trip to Missouri is about 5 miles, and fuel is usually about 15 cents a gallon cheaper because of their lower state tax.

Speaking of trips for gas... I made one this morning while out.

I pull up to the pump, get out, start pumping... except the pump is not working. I read all over the machine... when I finally notice the note taped to it that says "Pay by cash inside before pumping or use the credit card slot".

I always pay by cash. Ok, so I run inside the hand the guy $40. This is a bit of an annoyance since I have always filled at the same station for the last 2 years.

Finish pumping, head back in... guy looks at me and says "how will you be paying?"

"Uh, hello? I just gave you $40.00... my change please?"

He says "oh sorry, I don't remember everyone."

The annoyance factor was pretty high this morning or maybe I'm easily annoyed.
LOL.gif

ekpolk,

I know what you mean by gas and hurricanes.
I went 6 weeks with no electricity after Hurricane Andrew in 1992.
frown.gif

I was soooo bad with the heat, humidity and all the mosquitos...

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Paul56
Speaking of trips for gas... I made one this morning while out.

I pull up to the pump, get out, start pumping... except the pump is not working. I read all over the machine... when I finally notice the note taped to it that says "Pay by cash inside before pumping or use the credit card slot".

I always pay by cash. Ok, so I run inside the hand the guy $40. This is a bit of an annoyance since I have always filled at the same station for the last 2 years.

Finish pumping, head back in... guy looks at me and says "how will you be paying?"

"Uh, hello? I just gave you $40.00... my change please?"

He says "oh sorry, I don't remember everyone."

The annoyance factor was pretty high this morning or maybe I'm easily annoyed.
LOL.gif

I loath prepay gas stations as well, went to this one place where I slapped my credit card down on the counter, "fill on three please", then as I head for the door some yahoo opposite the island starts pumping 3. Imagine the old school mechanical number pumps you can get at from either side. (and no onboard credit card readers
mad.gif
)

Tell the clerk, he cuts the guy off at two bucks. Try again with another pump, repeat.
mad.gif

Wound up putting MY nozzle in MY tank then going inside a third time to get the pump activated.

There seems to be some compulsion to test pumps that read "prepay" just to see if that memo is still in effect.

Never have I gone out just to buy gas. I try as hard as possible to buy all the essentials like groceries, gas, etc. on my lunch breaks (we get a full hour and almost everything needed is within a 5 min drive) so I don't have to stop after work nevermind going out of my way for them once I'm home. Special trips are reserved for things I enjoy buying, like tools, video games, electronic gadgets or maybe something extra special like motor oil :)

Originally Posted By: pidster
Never have I gone out just to buy gas. I try as hard as possible to buy all the essentials like groceries, gas, etc. on my lunch breaks (we get a full hour and almost everything needed is within a 5 min drive) so I don't have to stop after work nevermind going out of my way for them once I'm home. Special trips are reserved for things I enjoy buying, like tools, video games, electronic gadgets or maybe something extra special like motor oil :)

So the ice cream and other perishables sit in the car all afternoon wilting and otherwise melting?
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: pidster
. . . Special trips are reserved for things I enjoy buying, like tools, video games, electronic gadgets or maybe something extra special like motor oil :)

And since we're on it, my other cover is this: at any given time, I represent at least a dozen guys (mostly guys, occasional gals too) who decided to make a "special trip" from Escambia County over to Santa Rosa County to get their crack. Or vice versa. Yes, I have a very OCD fuel plan (that will pay off after the next 'cane). What can my clients say? They're willing to drive 30 miles for the area's freshest, best crack???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back