Can you leave the engine running the whole long trip? Even to gas up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
⛽️ Since we are a whole 7 days away from Manteno Illinois... and this thread could be for any car, any time... Can I leave the car running the whole time? Do I have to turn it off to gas up which I will probably have to do about 3 times, top up before leaving NJ because of lower fuel cost to save $$ then again in Ohio if possible and from there should be OK to somewhere in Illinois and that part of journey.. Is there really a need to turn the car off?

I estimate fill-ups take about 5 minutes at a time, usually in Ohio I use the restroom, MAYBE buy a snack, and then gas up the car, putting in about 14-15 gallons takes about a whopping 2 minutes, since most don't know the pump rate is supposed to be 7 gallons a minute. Some aren't but most are. (Some run slower some try to go super fast.)

I don't think I'll set an EVAP code but... Seriously. Is there a need to turn the car off? Or only when at destination . Any car, really..

🤷‍♂️ It is very possible that leaving the engine running during refueling could set off an EVAP code but mostly it is about State/Local Law that you need to shut off the engine when refueling. Years ago, I often left my engine running when refueling before OBD II but I don't do this any longer as there are signs at the pumps asking to turn off the engine when refueling.
Try it and let us know how you make out. :)

Last edited:
I can’t believe that you are asking these questions.
Common sense tells me to shut off the engine while fueling.
Leave your vehicle running during a rest stop? Good idea. Car thieves love that idea.
@MParr Bravo! But. Right. Early a.m. Ohio with nobody around. I can see people looking at it, common sense says I wouldn't do so if I thought that a possibility.. should have clarified, perhaps. Thank you..

@CharBaby Though good points, I'm really not concerned with those.. I should add, I used to do this. Had no ill effects. One of my older cars I just referenced in another thread. It would run fine.. as long as you didn't turn it off, literally. That's how I first started doing this, @TCL (you'll have to call the cops to report me for not shutting off a car though.) .. Framed another way, is it possible to somehow do "damage" to a vehicle by letting it run while fueling? People seem to do this when it is cold and need to keep warm, or HOT and need the AC as well..

Is there some sort of very specific way it could make a fuel pump fail?

Any ill effects of starting it back up when you have that heat soak from hours of highway driving?

Also thought EVAP would set at another point in the drive cycle. Minor concern. Mine never has, I know leaking gas caps can set EVAP what about actual fueling..

I can almost guarantee that by law you must shut your gasoline vehicle off while refueling.
What is the reasoning behind not shutting the car off?
We travel with a Norwegian Elkhound dog and live in the South. Leaving the engine running is the only option.

I've had no issues with my F150's doing this. It is no problem to lock the doors and use the keypad to enter when ready.

Vj3aRdD.jpg

Engine running while refueling is both dangerous, and illegal in many places.

Why even ask?

Are you going to shut off the car while you use the bathroom?

Because you will visit the bathroom on your twelve hour drive…right?

Yeah, I sometimes go in there for about 5 minutes. Probably. My main concern is if you can do damage to the car somehow fueling it while it is running? ( You'd have to convince me that someone is going to run across an empty parking lot in an empty store at about 3 AM at a truck stop to jump in a car with the nozzle fueling to speed off to nowhere with the cops probably sitting at the light, or at least closeby. Same deal with Ohio Turnpike rest stops... Possible, perhaps, but implausible.)

I'd like to know as well.
@Quattro Pete that's fair and. Couple of reasons to be asking..

1. The whole question about isn't there more wear to the starter/engine to stop and restart it than to just let it run? Minor fuel savings perhaps, what about a hot restart on the hot soak?

2. This began when I had a car that probably would not restart once shut off, no matter what. So I've done this a few times, one summer at least. Question is about if it's a viable option to continue doing...

3. Why is it dangerous?

I realize people might think this is not a serious question but I'm asking because I really want to know. I'm taking a 12 plus hour trip in about 7 days and I'm asking if I would be doing more where to the car by shutting it off each time versus letting it run. Instances such as shutting it off to keep it from being stolen well if I thought there was anyone that would steal it I would see them as I drive into the parking lot and I would act accordingly and probably not let it run in that instance. It's not an invalid point however I'm sharing that I'm aware of that possibility. I also don't want my fuel pump to die because one time I was told that there may be a certain specific instance where a car might not restart after being shut off or I'm not a 100% on the details of what was mentioned but I want to have an incident free trip this time and this knowledge about whether to do it or not can be applied to all cars.

I want to take a moment to appreciate the post that point out that sometimes letting a car run an extreme weather is "the only way." And maybe I will just shut the car off to get gas. They could possibly carjack me upon restart.. again, not impossible, just implausible. I'm very very good at situational awareness and I'm asking the question as to if you can do any damage to the car. I just hope my clarifications have been well received, @Astro14 and all posters.

12 hour plus trip

If the car is so unreliable that you worry about it restarting, then it’s the wrong car for the trip.

Glad it is not the J30 then lol.

If your point is, can it handle a stop and restart then... yes, it can.. I've been using it normally extensively to ensure road worthiness.

I was hoping to gather if there was a way to save wear.. people seem to be saying to just treat it normal and don't leave it running..

Last edited:
Not meant to disparage but man, this is off the wall and defies logic. Saving wear and tear of a few startups of an already warm engine with what should be mild ambient temps just no logic there. Bizarre unless I'm missing a reason to keep it running?????????

Warm startup won’t cause wear. The oil is already there on the cams, bearings, etc.

It is cold startup, when the oil has drained a bit, that might cause wear.

You are overthinking the heck out of this.

Shut the car off. Refuel, buy your coffee/drink, visit the rest room, whatever.

Then drive on.

New Jersey is the only state where it is illegal to pump your own gas. An attendant will fill up your car just like in the old days. I doubt seriously that the pump jockey is going to allow you to leave the engine running during the fill-up

Isn't it illegal in some states to gas up with an engine running? Isn't it possible to occasionally trigger a CEL with the engine running while fueling? It begs the question, why tempt fate? The wear caused by turning off the engine and restarting during fueling I doubt can be accurately measured.

I had a car which for a little while I had to leave it running while refueling due to a fuel pressure issue. It would take a LONG time cranking to re-start the engine! Replacing the fuel pressure regulator fixed the problem. The car wasn't OBDII so there were no codes.

Last edited:
⛽️ Since we are a whole 7 days away from Manteno Illinois... and this thread could be for any car, any time... Can I leave the car running the whole time? Do I have to turn it off to gas up which I will probably have to do about 3 times, top up before leaving NJ because of lower fuel cost to save $$ then again in Ohio if possible and from there should be OK to somewhere in Illinois and that part of journey.. Is there really a need to turn the car off?

I estimate fill-ups take about 5 minutes at a time, usually in Ohio I use the restroom, MAYBE buy a snack, and then gas up the car, putting in about 14-15 gallons takes about a whopping 2 minutes, since most don't know the pump rate is supposed to be 7 gallons a minute. Some aren't but most are. (Some run slower some try to go super fast.)

I don't think I'll set an EVAP code but... Seriously. Is there a need to turn the car off? Or only when at destination . Any car, really..
Cant believe that there are this many replies to a totally stupid and dangerous question to ask...IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back