Can you leave the engine running the whole long trip? Even to gas up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm shocked folks think that fuelling a gasoline vehicle "hot" is safe. This isn't a controversial safety topic. I have a buddy that was trying to do this at Costco and they would get him to turn it off. In the mining industry you can't fuel diesel equipment/vehicles while they are running and there the risk is v. low vs. a gas vehicle. Turn your vehicle off, follow the rules, don't put everyone else at the gas station at risk. I don't know many safety rules/regs/polices that aren't "written in blood"...people don't just make this crap up.
I’m pretty sure it’s 100% safe with modern cars and pumps. If it wasn’t, I’d be hearing about it on the news considering that most of New Jersey ignores the sticker on the pump.

Why wouldn’t it be safe? If your car regularly creates arcs near the gas filler or tank you’ve got other issues. People talk about hot exhaust etc. but guess what? It’s super hot for like an hour after you turn the engine off anyway and certainly just about at operating temperature 30 seconds after you cut the ignition.

I don’t see them turn off race cars in pit stops…

Last edited:
But tire material are dissipative not conductive. Likely with an impedance over 100Kohms/sq. There exist an ASTM and an ISO measurement procedure. I have not read if there is a max impedance requirement.

A car fuselage travelling at speed in a low humidity environment will generate a charge on the surface. Waxing the paint will likely increase this propensity
- Ken
Spotted the EE :).

All those leaving the car on should pay a surcharge for the added global climate damage they are doing. Rude and thoughtless.
We do...

The name calling might be a bit much thou?

Not everyone's situation is the same as yours and this might require them to use their vehicle differently than you.

This thread reminds me of engineer20 getting banned from the Toyota dealer because he didn't want them to turn the car off and cause excess wear on the starter by having to restart it. A BITOG classic!

I took the liberty to rewrite that post as a comedy skit. I hope it entertains at least some reading this thread. 🤞

Car Trouble at Page Toyota: A Comedy of Errors

(Enter SAM, an average car owner, visibly flustered. Walks into the extravagant PAGE TOYOTA SOUTHFIELD showroom.)

SAM: (To the receptionist, in a theatrical whisper) Is the special oil change still $14.95?

RECEPTIONIST: (Shakes her head, nonchalantly) No, sir, it's now $29.95.

SAM: (Clutches heart dramatically) The discount... gone? Just like that?

RECEPTIONIST: (Shrugs) I guess so.

(SAM takes a deep breath, then, like a general rallying his troops, decides to go for it. He approaches the SERVICE MANAGER.)

SAM: Alright, I'll do it. But, I have a special request.

SERVICE MANAGER: (Rolls his eyes) What is it now, Sam?

SAM: After you finish with the service, leave the car running.

SERVICE MANAGER: (Laughs as if he's just heard the funniest joke) You want us to leave your car... running?

SAM: Yes! You start and stop my car, it wears out the starter! Last time my starter died, it was like living through a horror movie!

SERVICE MANAGER: (With faux horror) Oh no, not the 'Attack of the Dead Starter' again!

(SAM, frustrated, mimics the SERVICE MANAGER's horror.)

SAM: "Oh no, we can't leave the car running, what if it gets stolen?" Listen, I don't want to put unnecessary wear and tear on my starter.

SERVICE MANAGER: (Laughs even harder) Sam, you seriously think we're going to replace your starter for free?

SAM: (Frustrated) No, that's not what I meant!

SERVICE MANAGER: (With a dramatic flourish) Well, it doesn't matter now. You are banned from Page Toyota Southfield! If you dare to return, we will summon... the authorities!

(SAM mimics falling backward, clutching his heart again.)

SAM: (In mock horror) Oh, the authorities!

(He stands up straight, dusts off his clothes, and exits the showroom with a sarcastic wave.)

SAM: (To himself, chuckling) It's just a darned starter issue. What a bunch of comedians!

If I were to sum up the OP's post in a joke, it would be something like this:

Why did the guy driving from New Jersey to Illinois ask his car if it wanted to be turned off during their seven-day journey?

Because he was tired of it running its engine off at every pit stop! He said, "I mean, I stop in Ohio for a bathroom break and a snack, and you guzzle 15 gallons of gas in two minutes! That's faster than a teenager with a bag of chips! And don't get me started on the EVAP code... the last time we had that conversation, you gave me the silent treatment all the way to Manteno!"

⛽️ Since we are a whole 7 days away from Manteno Illinois... and this thread could be for any car, any time... Can I leave the car running the whole time? Do I have to turn it off to gas up which I will probably have to do about 3 times, top up before leaving NJ because of lower fuel cost to save $$ then again in Ohio if possible and from there should be OK to somewhere in Illinois and that part of journey.. Is there really a need to turn the car off?

I estimate fill-ups take about 5 minutes at a time, usually in Ohio I use the restroom, MAYBE buy a snack, and then gas up the car, putting in about 14-15 gallons takes about a whopping 2 minutes, since most don't know the pump rate is supposed to be 7 gallons a minute. Some aren't but most are. (Some run slower some try to go super fast.)

I don't think I'll set an EVAP code but... Seriously. Is there a need to turn the car off? Or only when at destination . Any car, really..

The fuel gauge isn't likely to work properly if you refuel with the engine running. They are designed to ignore rising fuel levels when turned on. Depends on the age of the car and likely the model aswell. I've seen it happen multiple times.

The fuel gauge isn't likely to work properly if you refuel with the engine running. They are designed to ignore rising fuel levels when turned on. Depends on the age of the car and likely the model aswell. I've seen it happen multiple times.
This is not true. Mine have all proven to work just fine when refueling engine running...the only difference is how often they update on the needle during the process.

New Jersey is the only state where it is illegal to pump your own gas. An attendant will fill up your car just like in the old days. I doubt seriously that the pump jockey is going to allow you to leave the engine running during the fill-up
You cannot pump your own gasoline in Oregon either.

I regularly fill up with the engine running. Actually more often than not and I've never had weird gauge readings. Often watch the gauge go up as I fill up, it's quite satisfying. :ROFLMAO:
I read that, didn't work on peugeot or Hyundai when I worked for them. I also worked for mitsubishi but noboidy tried it there

Here in WNY when its 10pm and I'm filling up in the middle of January with 10-15mph winds and -10 F windchill.

You bet I let that small-block LS idle. While the heated seat stays on and the heat running.

Always keep them running in the winter.

I wish I had loads of money to waste literally burning it up while I fill my vehicle. I guess on the plus side I've saved loads of money having enough sense to turn my car off. Yay, a win after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back