Can you leave the engine running the whole long trip? Even to gas up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not recommended to run vehicle when filling with gas . States so on or near the pumps . Stopped asking politely for people to shut off vehicle with car running when I get gas . Didn't get good responses . Just keep filling car while other(s) let them idle . Have seen someone smoke a cig and let car run when filling , so kept pumping and left . Quicker fills with smaller cars with tanks of 12 gallons or less .

I’ll tell you where you can’t leave it running. Costco. They must have a strict policy. The fuel station attendant will be all over you to shut it down immediately.

Last summer I was filling up and it was in the upper 90s. A woman at the pump to my right got out, left her car running and started fueling up. She had an elderly passenger in her front seat.

Lot attendant comes RUNNING over shouting for her to shut it down, woman snaps back says her mother is in the car and it’s too hot.

He didn’t care at all. Actually threatened to shut her pump off. But I guess she finished in time. And didn’t turn the car off either.

If it’s a diesel sure have at it, you can extinguish a cigarette with #2

Gasser best to shut it off, your dog shouldn’t fry in 5 minutes.

Turn it back on once your done fueling

I’ll tell you where you can’t leave it running. Costco. They must have a strict policy. The fuel station attendant will be all over you to shut it down immediately.

Last summer I was filling up and it was in the upper 90s. A woman at the pump to my right got out, left her car running and started fueling up. She had an elderly passenger in her front seat.

Lot attendant comes RUNNING over shouting for her to shut it down, woman snaps back says her mother is in the car and it’s too hot.

He didn’t care at all. Actually threatened to shut her pump off. But I guess she finished in time. And didn’t turn the car off either.
I was at BJs buying fuel and the attendant yelled at someone for using a cell phone! I will continue buying fuel there!

⛽️ Since we are a whole 7 days away from Manteno Illinois... and this thread could be for any car, any time... Can I leave the car running the whole time? Do I have to turn it off to gas up which I will probably have to do about 3 times, top up before leaving NJ because of lower fuel cost to save $$ then again in Ohio if possible and from there should be OK to somewhere in Illinois and that part of journey.. Is there really a need to turn the car off?

I estimate fill-ups take about 5 minutes at a time, usually in Ohio I use the restroom, MAYBE buy a snack, and then gas up the car, putting in about 14-15 gallons takes about a whopping 2 minutes, since most don't know the pump rate is supposed to be 7 gallons a minute. Some aren't but most are. (Some run slower some try to go super fast.)

I don't think I'll set an EVAP code but... Seriously. Is there a need to turn the car off? Or only when at destination . Any car, really..
The primary reason (other than saving fuel) why stations tell drivers to turn off the car, is because a running car, is not a UL compliant device.
I.e., a running car could conceivably ingite gasoline vapors coming from the pump.
BUT there is no recorded case of that ever happening, so the risk is nil.

Its called a "hot refuel" and you are free to do it as you wish. :)

Back in the day running 1960's jalopies of rather questionable mechanical reliability with my parents on long trips we did not turn off the car for any reason until we reached our destination. That is what you do when money is tight and do not want to get stranded somewhere. Nobody died or was even injured from this practice.

We travel with a Norwegian Elkhound dog and live in the South. Leaving the engine running is the only option.

I've had no issues with my F150's doing this. It is no problem to lock the doors and use the keypad to enter when ready.
I don´t give, about your pet. You are not above the law. You need to kill the engine while fueling here, it says that up on the unlawful sign. Can´t survive 5 minutes with the ac off in a truck to fuel up, then you are the irresponsible dog owner!!!!!!! Don´t go holier than thou with me, I have a few registered Pit Bulls, and no I don´t walk them down the isles of stores claiming they are service animals, or my children!!! Sick!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back