Who else has family that neglects their cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
that's ok if you can afford to, I suppose?

I know my sister is about 2 years into a 6 year long loan at TWENTY FIVE percent interest for the Sentra my OP was about.

So that's certainly not it... It's just a general lack of activity going on in her head I'm fairly certain. I love her but some of the stuff she does makes me want to
06.gif

Originally Posted By: Popsy
Citroen C3 Hdi engine, the poor thing run with the cheapest 10W40 oil she could find for very long OCI (factory recommend 18500 miles). I tried to educate her, quality of oil, reduces OCI, change filters...but she just doesn't care, as long as the car start and run. Pedal to the floor with cold engine, no time for turbo to cool when hot engine, tough car life.

I also dont get this 18,5k mile OCI Citroen blindly advocate since before 2000, in my case a 2001 C5, with semi-synthetic oils. The engine began to make some varnish, so I cut back to 10k miles... The varnish didnt go away. GRRŔRR!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
I think everybody has someone in their family who neglects their cars
crackmeup2.gif

Yep my wifes cousin. In the last 3 years he has destroyed 5 Pajero's (one wasn't even his) and is trying to do the same with the Sonata. Sonata needs a new radiator but he won't replace it. He has boiled it dry about 6 times, the last time that I know of he said it was singing by the time he drove 20 odd kilometres home with it boiled dry. He drives every car like he hates them and is officially known as the car killer. You never ever lend him your car nor buy one off him.

Originally Posted By: flatlander757
Note: this concerns a 2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0l.

So I get a call last night on my way home:

Sister: What does it mean when the red can dripping symbol light comes on? It was coming on and going off all week but now is on more often.

Me: It means you've neglected your car and can expect to be putting an engine in soon. Don't drive it.

Lol, you would have had me well before at the topping off stage. One could also pay a jiffy lube or any quick lube type shops to neglect your paid and agreed upon terms and orders. I remember I brought my own filter to a shop and they used their generic instead (or forgot to hence the need for that constant supervision)

Last edited:
Yes- my sisters. Despite growing up in mechanical environments they are terrible.

Oh they change oil- but thats it.

ATF, tires, valve check intervals, brakes work down to the rivets needing new rotors X4, CEL's, shocks, struts, Cv boots, Cv's, starters, clutches, brake fluid - you name it get completely ignored and worn to complete and utter failure.

I used to do all that [censored]-

Big brothers of the world unite.

UD

Originally Posted By: florida92
Sad thing is five years in the auto industry and it's a pretty common theme especially with certain places now charging $40 for a basic conventional oil change.

Jiffylube wanted $30 to change my oil when I had my own filter and oil. I said no way and went to a real garage. (Yeah, I know, save Jiffylube lecture. haha! I thought I pulled into another place next right door that shares the same driveway in a very cramped place. Since I was there I asked how much.)

I don't really have a good way to store an oil drain pan so I paid shops to do oil changes on my last car. On the car I got last month, I want to do them myself again. I didn't before because I didn't want to have to store an oil drain pan.

I may get one anyway now and store it in a trash bag on my balcony (which is a no-no, it's not patio furniture), except when I have annual inspections. I can bring it in and stash it someplace for the 5 minutes the apt is being inspected, then stick it back out there.
grin.gif

Hmmmm... I could get a small plastic deck box with a seat lid and store it inside of that, since that is acceptable "outdoor furniture".
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: pottymouth
If they are intelligent enough to get a driver's license, they are intelligent enough to read their owner's manual and follow the maintenance schedule.

That's not exactly a rigorous standard.
wink.gif

Makes me wonder, how could these people have survived in the era when spark plugs only lasted 25k miles, distributor cap/rotor 20k miles, shocks 30k miles, tranny fluid 30k, etc

Did their cars just run like garbage when it hit the 30k mile barrier?

My aunt is the worst I know. She has a 2004 Toyota Solara with a 2.4L 4cyl with almost 200,000 miles, she has owned the car since it had about 160,000. I checked the dipstick & it was 1.5 quarts low & the oil was nasty pitch black. She told me she got the oil changed at the local Valvoline place every 4,000-6,000 miles, so I was like okay that's not bad. At the time I checked the dipstick, she had over 8,000 miles on this change. I ran her plate number in Carfax & she has been going 10,000-12,000 miles on Valvoline bulk conventional & cheap Valvoline filters, she lied. I changed the oil with Mobil Super High Mileage SynBlend & a FRAM Extra Guard. I told her to bring it back to me in 3,000 miles, I put a sticker on the windshield. We will see if she does. The oil I drained out was nasty black & thick. Also, one time she said there was grinding when she braked after she got new tires put on. I looked & the brake pad was completely gone, caliper was grinding the rotor. So new brake pads & rotors.... the car still runs excellent & the transmission shifts smooth for the miles. I told her she needs to get on top of the oil changes or this car will be dead within 40,000 miles max.

the in laws so far have a history of disrespect for the vehicles i have given them. for the last 4 years i have maintained them, and i will be backing off for 2016 and watch the fireworks happen.

Originally Posted By: xfactor9
Makes me wonder, how could these people have survived in the era when spark plugs only lasted 25k miles, distributor cap/rotor 20k miles, shocks 30k miles, tranny fluid 30k, etc

Full service gas stations where people checked things for you when you bought gas, at least as far as fluids, hoses and belts.

It may also be why many people STILL consider 100k miles to the end of a car's life. 75k is considered "high mileage" on all the motor oils, despite some cars easily lasting 300k or more on the original engine & transmission with true proper maintenance.

The 93 Geo Metro I had, the transmission lasted almost 200k (not bad for a 3sp auto!) before it's (first gear, presumably) clutch material totally fell apart, causing it to clog up. It got a complete rebuilt by a trans shop.

The engine had overheated hard unexpectedly from a bad radiator/lack of coolant and had (at least) a blown head gasket, else it would have still been fine on the original 3cyl engine, at over 203k miles when I sold it. It still ran and drove ok in the city but it used large amounts of coolant and oil, even worse on the highway.

I love my family even though I didn't get to choose them except for my wife.

Decided long ago it's best to let them find their own way with regards to transportation.
I choose to not to live in a slovenly and neglectful manner.
They don't seem to care based upon appearances.

It's another "not my problem" scenario according to my therapist. I'm only in charge of me.

Mom has a '07 M-B with ~25,000 miles. I insist she have it serviced at the dealer.

Originally Posted By: splinter
It's another "not my problem" scenario according to my therapist.

Wow. Really? A licensed therapist is training people to be sociopaths? That explains a lot about why people act the way they do anymore, I suppose.

If you see someone you care about doing something that will negatively impact them, you shouldn't say "not my problem". There is FAR too much of that going on in society today.

Originally Posted By: Cubey
Wow. Really? A licensed therapist is training people to be sociopaths?..

Quite a coincidence. Are you a licensed psychotherapist and/or merely an expert on sociopaths?

I take care of my own and others through my church and other philanthropic causes.
I grew out of breast feeding and changing diapers years ago. Thanks, though.

I’ve got some weeds that need pulling next time you’re in town because I gave the maids and landscapers the week off.
Let me know when you’ll take care of it.

Wow. Really? A licensed therapist is training people to be sociopaths?..

Quite a coincidence. Are you a licensed psychotherapist and/or merely an expert on sociopaths?

Simply knowing the traits of sociopathic behavior is enough to identify it.

You can fix cars but you can't fix stupid car owners.

Looks like you qualify. Congratulations.

Originally Posted By: Kira

Next time we visited I offered to check the oil and the second s-i-l objected....as if I was inspecting her lingerie' drawer on a high school public access television station for all to see. She's truly psychologically off kilter.

Lol hilarious

You can fix cars but you can't fix stupid car owners.

Looks like you qualify. Congratulations.

Wow, talk about no understanding of the concept of humor; in regards to my sig comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back