Help me plan a strategy for a neglected Kia

So my lovely new bride has finally let me take over the maintenance on her Kia Forte. I was horrified to find her oil filter was dated 10/19. I asked her when the last time she had her oil changed, and she gave me a puzzled look. I tried not to get angry, and just took a walk. About 3 quarts came out when I drained it. I’m guessing that oil had 25-30k on it, looking at her title paperwork and when she bought it. I’m sure the thing has more sludge than I know what to do with. So I filled it with Supertech and a Fram synthetic filter. Plan on changing that oil again in about a month. I ordered HPL’s engine clean tonight. I think next month I’ll add that. Obviously I’ll be changing the filter too.

Anyone have any advice on what I should do to try and make the best of this situation? I would assume short intervals on filters is definitely called for. Once I put that HPL in it, I assume it’s best to run it a few thousand miles before replacing it. But filters I ASSume are going to get plugged up pretty quickly. I ordered a filter cutting tool tonight so I can visually inspect the filters to make sure I’m on the right track. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I’m not really in a position to replace her car at this point, because I just bought myself a new car last month. I guess if I absolutely have to, I can but I don’t like the idea of having two car payments.
maybe the sludge is holding that engine together.
With the reputation of these engines i'm really shocked that it hasn't failed !

Stage 1 - high detergent diesel oil with CK minimum rating and HTHS no viscosity improvers full synthetic oil at 3233 miles

Stage 2 - drain and refill with same oil as above but with 200ml of diesel fuel added. Drive for 300 miles at 166kmph or 4000rpm without stopping or slowing down, ever.

Stage 3 - use a heavy A3/B4 porsche spec oil for 2000 kms, not miles. 10w40 specifically.

Stage 4 - seafoam above oil after reaching 2000kms and then drain as oer seafoam instructions.

Stage 5 - fill with regular oil and keep at 5000 km oci.

This is known as the Toyota 5S system. It works for any engine though.

Stage 1 - high detergent diesel oil with CK minimum rating and HTHS no viscosity improvers full synthetic oil at 3233 miles

Stage 2 - drain and refill with same oil as above but with 200ml of diesel fuel added. Drive for 300 miles at 166kmph or 4000rpm without stopping or slowing down, ever.

Stage 3 - use a heavy A3/B4 porsche spec oil for 2000 kms, not miles. 10w40 specifically.

Stage 4 - seafoam above oil after reaching 2000kms and then drain as oer seafoam instructions.

Works for what? Emptying the owner's pocket while doing absolutely nothing to address the problem, and helping an already subpar engine meet an earlier demise? I'm hoping this was sarcasm, but it seems you're serious?🤯

1692058027700.jpg

This is not known as anything. It has nothing to do with Toyota. It is a bunch of steps that perhaps have some kind of appeal because of perceived complexity. A better name for this would be "The Jack and the Beanstalk Method."

The solution to not changing the oil in a long time is to plan a few more rapid oil changes and hope for the best.

1. Cheap oil and cheap filter for two shorter OCI. Even semi-synthetic if you can find it cheap enough.
2. Asses engine condition and sludge buildup.
3. Sell the car or continue with decent-quality oils and/or engine cleaners/flushes.

Putting in cleaners or expensive oils is not the first thing I would add to an engine with moderate to high amount of sludge.

Last edited:
Works for what? Emptying the owner's pocket while doing absolutely nothing to address the problem, and helping an already subpar engine meet an earlier demise? I'm hoping this was sarcasm, but it seems you're serious?🤯
Anyone not detecting sarcasm needs their sarcasm detectors recalibrated. 😂

Anyone not detecting sarcasm needs their sarcasm detectors recalibrated. 😂
Well, there have been members over the years who have done all of your 5S steps while sacrificing live chickens on their intake manifolds during the fourth full moon after the winter solstice while wearing the still-warm skin of a fresh Bigfoot kill, but their Toyota still had coked oil rings.

Wanted to save you a little time. 🤣

I actually believe that you're serious.

When you date someone, instead of asking if they like cats or dogs, you ask them how often they change their oil.... What if they change it "whenever the Jiffy Lube sticker says" ?
i am serious. how a prospective wife takes responsible care of herself and her stuff is important to note. we all know that love is blind but a car is a lifeline in america; if it is neglected then what else is neglected that should be more readily apparent? don’t we offer to check a car belonging to loved ones who aren’t car people. a 47yo female shouldn’t be a clueless 19 yr old girl, eh. o.p. did note some daddy issues.

anyway such thoughts aren’t completely germane to this pcmo subforum. how about pivoting to just consider, what is so terribly wrong with just going to jiffy lube every 3,000 miles? indeed not ideal according to bitog, but “perfect is the enemy of good enough” and jiffy lube sure would have beaten the alternative that befell o.p. to his dismay.

Remember this guy? Ha Ha Ha

Here is a recommendation of what NOT to do.

Watching this was a straight up horror show. He has another video where he hand cleans the top and bottom end of an engine. Thank you for sharing. I like horror shows but feel REALLY bad for anyone who goes to him for service.

I’d just change to the cheapest in spec conventional oil and a standard Fram or Wix filter, change all other stuff that needs changing (coolant, all filters, tires, brake fluid and pads, atf fluid if needed ..), get the aircon checked including cleaning caked dust off the condenser, take the car out for a longish road trip where you see if you can find a stretch with no lurking cops or speed cams to give it an “Italian tuneup”.

Then come back and change the oil once more .. to another reasonable conventional one and just use the car for say 3k miles before you change again.

If the car still runs fine and you don’t see any point in trading it in, go ahead and fill whatever favourite oil you have in mind Castrol Edge for me over Amsoil HPL or whatever else .. or head over heart decision, fill another conventional or syn blend and change every 3-5k miles.

Back