Who actually still uses a synthetic blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
I don't understand why people here seem to dislike the blends so much. I was actually somewhat annoyed when I found that a local Walmart carries Pennzoil SynBlend because I had just changed my oil a week before that using PYB from a different Walmart that doesn't carry SynBlend. But I would have used the blend over PYB for less than two dollars more and potentially safer cold starts.

It's not that I don't have confidence in PYB, but for an extra dollar and change you have an oil that should offer better extreme temperature performance. I don't want to jump to a PP/PU or Edge type of product because I run my truck in a low mileage/frequent short trips severe driving style and I'd change the oil based on time way before I could ever hit 7,500 miles on PP anyway. Also I'd rather not go full-syn with my 21 year old truck and risk leaks.

I have no used a blends yet but they seem like a great bang for your buck product that's good for shorter OCIs such as my application.

In honesty, this was my reason to switch back to a blend myself...

put a synthetic blend Castrol 5w20 in my parents sonata a month ago.works just fine. I also use motorcraft 5w20 syn blend if I feel froggy at wally world in my optima

Originally Posted By: Richtrashman
put a synthetic blend Castrol 5w20 in my parents sonata a month ago.works just fine. I also use motorcraft 5w20 syn blend if I feel froggy at wally world in my optima

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
I don't understand why people here seem to dislike the blends so much.

I suspect the price and performance disparity between "conventional" and "synthetic" would have to be much greater than it is now to get people to jump on board. The only advertised blends I've really been interested are the HM ones, and that's for obviously different reasons. I wasn't looking for the cheapest bottle or the one with the most specs; I wanted to slow some leakage.

When it comes to the Pennzoil blend, I suspect some shops may start using it up here where dexos1 is required. It can be had at a pretty decent price.

I run maxlife 10W-40 happily in my BMW, which is a syn blend. Also running Maxlife in my 5.3l LS swapped Volvo.

Maxlife HM in mine. I drive not that much anymore and change twice a year. I only go 6k more or less a year. Did run 8 months on qusd and dropped a quart and oil was filthy. Maxlife gets dirty quickly as well and PP seems to stay the cleanest. I will stay with Maxlife since that is what Goodyear uses since I had surgery.

I just don't see a need for semi-syn blends anymore (which are specifically marketed as semi-syn blends).

To me, its all about price. I do extended drains and live in extreme climates. Therefore, i use full syn. Just bought a beater car for my daughter to drive to school. It will probably see conventional, or a blend, depending on price.

I'm about to switch to Maxlife syn-blend in my wife's Sienna due to minor oil consumption/leaks at 95K. I'd run conventional otherwise. I don't see the benefit in paying more for the Maxlife full synthetic in a normally aspirated V6.

Full synthetic in my Ford Fusion, due to turbo/DI.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Everyone is using a blend. Now if the oil you chose is marketed as much is a different story along with % of base oils used.

That's actually a good point.....

Actually, my next change on the beater car will be with Supet Tech full synthetic. It is as cheap as most conventionals or syn blends.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
Or are you just agreeing with him cause his name is Dave?

Lol...nope.
cool.gif

I don't buy any basic syn-blend oil. I do buy high mileage oil which happens to be a syn-blend, however, my reason for buying HM oil is for a viscosity boost and a stronger additive package.

I have worked at places that use Kendall bulk oil which is a syn-blend. Everyone I worked with treated it as a conventional oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back