Kendall GT-1 Synthetic Blend vs Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, everyone. Looking for some info here on the Kendall GT-1 Synthetic Blend vs Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20. The F-150 in my signature has been running Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20 since 2012. The issue I have ran into recently is my local Wally World doesn't keep their stock up well on Motorcraft oil. It could be any day that they have it or don't have it and I am not going to keep running back and forth when they finally stock up with it.

My local O'Reilly store has it, but with the price they sell it at, I'll pay over $50 for it at that price, each oil change, which is absurd to me. I might as well take it to a pit, at that price. I have found Kendall GT-1 Synthetic Blend 5W-20 on Amazon in big 12 quart bulk boxes that, per oil change, only comes out to about $33, nearly saving me 20 bucks over O'Reilly's price.

My question is: Is this oil pretty much the same as Motorcraft? This truck has always ran the quietest on Motorcraft. Almost no cam phaser noise at 162k miles. Just an extremely light phaser tick which it's had since I've owned it (bought it with 40k miles). Some people have told me Kendall is garbage and nowhere even close to as good as Motorcraft. Their basis is nothing more than "I heard from so-and-so".

I'm the kind of person with the mindset of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", and I want to stay as close to the Motorcraft formulation as possible, given my good experience with it and also how sensitive these Ford 5.4 3v engines are. i drop the oil early because the truck sees short tripping, so I just buy Synthetic Blend instead of Full Synthetic since I am not doing the extended drain intervals. I have seen that Kendall and Motorcraft are both made by Conoco Phillips. How close is the formulation of the GT-1 Synthetic Blend vs the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend? Does it perform equally as good as Motorcraft? Does anyone here use Kendall (specifically in the 5.4 3v) and how has your experience been with it? Thanks, in advance!

Originally Posted by tiger862
Why don't you order Motorcraft from Walmart.com and have it shipped to store for free?

I could do that, but honestly would just rather have the convenience of having it shipped to my doorstep. I know, I'm lazy, lol. Would rather go through Amazon, if I could. I already order a bunch of stuff through them now as it is. Air filters, spark plugs, fuel filters, etc.

Last edited:
I too hear they are both made by Conoco Phillips, or whatever their new corporate name is. Last time I looked, a few years ago, the Kendall carried 100 ppm Titanium add that the MC did not. To me this makes the Kendall GT-1 a better product.

Originally Posted by MParr
The Kendall and Motorcraft are very close in formulation. Just compare the data sheets side by side. Another option is Havoline in the 6qt. box. You can find it at your local Walmart.

ðŸ‘.. and have it shipped right to your front door.

A lot of shops use the GT-1 bulk Kendall syn blend. If I'm not mistaken even the syn blend gets the "liquid titanium" add pak. It's good oil...

Originally Posted by BigD1
Kendall is Phillip's 66 top tier. It has titanium in the add pack.

http://pqiadata.org/Kendall_GT1_5W30.html

http://pqiadata.org/Motorcraft_5W30.html

Thanks BigD1, two up to date VOAs from PQIA from MotorCraft and Kendall, they match very well in both physical parameters and chemical add packs, with the exception of the extra 100 ppm of titanium in the Kendall. They are both SN Plus and GF-5 (Kendall web site confirmed SN-Plus even though not listed on PQIA)

Go the Kendall any day of the week.

This is good oil. Can be purchased at Kendall's website. For my 5K OCIs on the GDI Hyundai, I'd run the syn-blend. If you like the brand a-lot, you will pay a little extra for it.
4WD just did the synblend route with Pennzoil Gold. It's good oil and a dollar more here or there pays for itself with these two brands. You can't get a bad deal on something that works well.

Kendall is a hard working-man's oil. They specialize in the race car oils and know how to minimize wear and offer good protection.
If I had to choose between this and Motorcraft, I'd go Kendall. I went thru many green-oil Kendall GT 20W50 oils in my younger days.

I bookmarked the website for future reference and maybe even a purchase someday. Thanks for this thread.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
This is good oil. Can be purchased at Kendall's website. For my 5K OCIs on the GDI Hyundai, I'd run the syn-blend. If you like the brand a-lot, you will pay a little extra for it.
4WD just did the synblend route with Pennzoil Gold. It's good oil and a dollar more here or there pays for itself with these two brands. You can't get a bad deal on something that works well.

Kendall is a hard working-man's oil. They specialize in the race car oils and know how to minimize wear and offer good protection.
If I had to choose between this and Motorcraft, I'd go Kendall. I went thru many green-oil Kendall GT 20W50 oils in my younger days.

I bookmarked the website for future reference and maybe even a purchase someday. Thanks for this thread.

Big Daddy!

[Linked Image]

Havoline Pro DS synthetic is available from Walmart in 6 quart boxes for $19.... that's a really good deal!

On an older engine, a HM oil can't hurt, but not necessary.

If it burns or leaks oil, it might help slow it down.

Originally Posted by addyguy

Gotcha. Thanks!
smile.gif

My old Honda dealer used Kendall syn-blend and it was a smooth & quiet oil. Really scientific, I know.

Kendall is a really good product, and it gets its moments in the sun on bitog from time to time. If you're happy with cost and packaging size, that's really all that matters. Motorcraft is also good oil, and honestly I don't think you'd ever know one from the other without looking at the bottle.

Originally Posted by addyguy

There's more to a HiMi formula than [just] seal conditioners, which in and of itself is important. Mfgs also bump up/down their anti wear additives like moly, boron cal/mag to achieve the optimal (synergistic) performance characteristics of their HiMi formula.

Which one is "best" is beyond me. If you look at the numbers for comparison purposes you'll see stuff like brand X using high amounts of moly but low boron. Well, from my understanding boron is a nice to have AW additive because it also helps the retain it's TBN. Then you might have brand A going another direction with a modest amount of moly but more boron and more calcium. Then you have something like SuperTech full syn HiMi that has modest amounts of everything and is also D1G2 SN+ full syn priced at just
$3.2/qt in the 5qt jug.

It's all enough to drive you crazy IMO, where the best approach is to probably just pick one and go with it!...‚

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back