Who actually still uses a synthetic blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, not me anyways. Tried that route, and no sir, I did not like it. It's either dino and full syn anyways, as I can't see a blend doing any better than plain ol' dino anyways, unless most of the bottle is a syn anyways....

So, short of those who go to fiestone (kendall) or the local dealership (motorcraft, Delco Dexos), does anyone still use it in an oil change? Judging by reading the latest poll, I'm thinking not, but still curious anyways...

Most name brand HM oils are syn blend, and supposedly just about every SN "dino" has at least some group III content as well.

In addition, the Pennzoil dexos blend is semi-popular as well. It's only about $1 more for a 5qt jug than PYB and is at least 50% syn.

So you like the word anyways....But yea I used it two oil changes ago in the Uplander, Pennzoil Syn Blend 5w30, it was smooth and quiet compared to M1 0w30. Might use it again, might not.

I'd buy Pennzoil Gold over PYB for the extra buck IF i wanted a cheap oil change, but every time it ends up time to buy oil for one of my cars i always end up buying a synthetic and running it longer.

i use the pennzoil syn blend 5w30 and will continue to do so unless the price goes up then i go to super tech or i use my bulk oil at my shop
i sometimes use qsud also but the price is creeping up into the no buy zone.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Most name brand HM oils are syn blend, and supposedly just about every SN "dino" has at least some group III content as well.

In addition, the Pennzoil dexos blend is semi-popular as well. It's only about $1 more for a 5qt jug than PYB and is at least 50% syn.

True..and for another buck fifty, you can have warren's ST syn, or QSUD for just a few bucks higher than that.

Though for the right price, I might use the dexos blend...

I use Motorcraft semi synthetic 5w-20 in my Fords from time to time instead of M1 if I find it on sale. I run 8,000 to +10,000 mile OCI on it with no problem, just as if it was a full syn.

I use kendall/motorcraft/ trop artic over most conventionals because a local farm stores them cheaper than most stores do. For example, kendall 2.99/qt and trop artic 1.99/qt on sale. Mystik and citgo blends are also on sale here for .56/.69/qt with rebate pretty regularly.

You ask why use a blend? Because its cheaper than plain old conventional and has a shot of some group III in it.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i use the pennzoil syn blend 5w30 and will continue to do so unless the price goes up then i go to super tech or i use my bulk oil at my shop
i sometimes use qsud also but the price is creeping up into the no buy zone.

I thought you already switched to ST in the shop.

we buy super tech sometimes and we use bulk oil also but we are down to two tanks 5w20 and 5w30 when we run out in a pinch we use super tech with no problems or whatever oil is on sale with the sn gf-5 rating. We are using super tech for synthetic at this time.
It changes month to month sometimes its mobil sometimes its petro canada sometimes its whatever as long as the sn gf-5 is there and the price is rite its good.

I am currently running a fill of Pennzoil syn-blend Dexos in my 00 Durango 4.7L with no complaints. Previous fills have almost been exclusively Pennzoil products. I cant tell a difference from the Ultra that was in the past 3 oci's. I might stick with the syn blend, its at a great price point.

Check my sig for weights, but 3 of 4 engines are on TropArtic Synthetic Blend. $1.79 to $1.99 per quart from Orscheln's and they run just fine with clean old oil drains and old filters every 5,000 to 6,000 miles, with the occasional 7,000 mile change. I'm not running the Blend because of the small amount of synthetic, but rather it's just the best oil for the money.

Great oil, great price and sleeping great at night.

In Australia, almost all SN/GF-5 lubes are marketed as Syn Blend. You can even add 10w40 to that too. Conventional does not really exist in anything other than 15w40 or 20w50

Because of the demands of the SN rating,most oils had to go semi synthetic.You would be surprised how many people read that label and shy away,looking for the old oil (non synthetic)...because they think the semi stuff will damage their engine.
Wait until those uninformed buy a 2011-up GM,Subaru,Toyota.....wont they be shocked...

Have been using MC 5-20 in my F150 with MC filter for 3 years now. UOA are very good. I'll keep using it for now.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Because of the demands of the SN rating,most oils had to go semi synthetic.You would be surprised how many people read that label and shy away,looking for the old oil (non synthetic)...because they think the semi stuff will damage their engine.
Wait until those uninformed buy a 2011-up GM,Subaru,Toyota.....wont they be shocked...

I know a few people like that. "My brand new Honda doesn't need synthetic". And, that's true, but the warranty won't be happy.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
supposedly just about every SN "dino" has at least some group III content as well.

Group III is not synthetic. Group III is still a "dino" oil. Synthetics do not begin until groups IV and V.

I have Maxlife SB in two cars at the moment.
I've been pleased with this oil in any engine I've run it in.
So, yeah, I have no problems with using syn blend oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back