Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend substitutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Ford recommends Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend for my 2016 Ford Explorer. I have used nothing but this since I've owned it, however my local Ford dealership is out of stock and Walmart is also out of stock and I was told they are no longer going to stock it. I can wait for the Ford dealership to get their shipment in, but I'd like to know what I can use in case the MC 5w20 synth blend is not available.

I did some searching, and I am more confused than I should be. My questions:

1) can I use ANY 5w20 synth blend? Walmart did have Quaker State 5w20 synth blend, but I was not sure if "synthetic blend" means the same thing for each brand of oil.

2) can I use a full synthetic 5w20, and go back to a 5w20 synth blend, or once I switch to full synth, I have to stay with full synth?

3) can I use any brand of 5w20 full synthetic?

4) are there any charts that indicate which oils are interchangeable with MC 5w20 synth blend? I want to maintain my warranty, so I am not interested in using something that doesn't meet the specs.

5) is AC/Delco oil a legitimate substitute for MC oil?

6) I did a Google search on the oil specs from the owners manual, and one of the "equivalent" oils was a Quaker State conventional oil. Not even blended. That didn't make sense to me, which is why I am here.

Thanks for any help.

welcome2.gif

Any 5w20 or even 0w20 synthetic blend or full synthetic can be used with no problems
smile.gif

I'd use the Quaker State blend listed in your #1 point. By industry standards, a synthetic blend motor oil must have a minimum of 10% synthetic base. This may be the wrong terminology, so others may split hairs with this point.

If you feel you must stick with Motorcraft and can't find it, try the Phillips 66 family of oils: Phillips 66, Kendall, Conoco and 76 Super. They are nearly identical to the Motorcraft formula. There should be a distributor near you.

To answer your specific questions:
1) Yes...all 5w20 contain a certain amount of GrIII and could be called semi-syn.
2) Yes...you can use full syn. and switch back and forth as you please
3) Yes...if it meets the Ford spec. WSS-M2C945-A....which virtually all do
4) No...I doubt there are 'charts' but if the oil meets the Ford spec. mentioned in #3, it's interchangeable...
5) Yes...but it probably wasn't tested for the Ford spec.
6) see # 1 and # 3....

I would just use whatever name brand 5w20 that's cheapest or even ST syn. 5w20 and change it every 5 or 6K or 6 months.....you could probably go by the OLM, especially if using a synthetic.

Buy an equal amount of synthetic and conventional oils - then blend your own concoction 50-50.
Any brand will do..... Pennzoil, QS, Valvoline (for example)...... even Supertech.

Synblends are a wallet rip-off.... just about all of them offering only 10-25% synthetic in that synblend jug.

Originally Posted By: Kura
6) I did a Google search on the oil specs from the owners manual, and one of the "equivalent" oils was a Quaker State conventional oil. Not even blended. That didn't make sense to me, which is why I am here.

Had a debate here with someone about the spec for the oil for our '14 Fusion and my research indicates that the "MCC xxx245" (don't remember it exactly right now) is NOT a synthetic nor even a synthetic blend. Conventional oils ARE ABLE to meet this particular spec. Sounds like the case for your truck as well.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Go back to Walmart buy Mobil 1. $22 currently. 5W20 or 0W20. A Motorcraft filter. Job done.

Right here.

You can run any brand of synthetic blend or full synthetic that meets Ford’s specs in that vehicle with no worries.

I use nothing but M1 0-20 in my last three Ford engines for the last 10 years at 10K OCI.

You can use any motor oil that meets the motorcraft spec. It does NOT have to be a synthetic blend. Ford only RECOMMENDS and does not REQUIRE a synthetic blend or even full synthetic for this vehicle. The only reason motorcraft has been a synblend for so long is because Phillips 66 blends the oil in the US. In Canada for example, exxon makes motorcraft and it was a "conventional" while in the USA it was a syn-blend. They source motorcraft from a blend to manufacture and bottle it for them.

95% of all readily available name brand and major store brand conventional, syn-blends and full synthetic meet the ford spec.

Super tech at walmart even meets the ford specs.

Originally Posted By: volk06
The only reason motorcraft has been a synblend for so long is because Phillips 66 blends the oil in the US. In Canada for example, exxon makes motorcraft and it was a "conventional" while in the USA it was a syn-blend. They source motorcraft from a blend to manufacture and bottle it for them.

That explains why the owner's manual I found for a Mustang differentiated between the oil 'type' and US vs Canada, while BOTH a blend and a conventional met their spec.

Thanks for all the fast replies, everyone!

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
You'll be getting an education on oil(s) as well as other lubricants now that you've become a member.

You aren't kidding. I had no idea how confusing things can be. Once upon a time, the only choice was the weight of the oil and the name brand. Now, with the synthetics and blends, everyone has their own opinions on which oil is the best. I like staying as close to what the manufacturer recommends.

I grew up with a guy who never did a full oil change. He only changed his filter and added a quart or so of new oil. He never had a problem. He would get tarred and feathered from this board!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back