white undershirts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: joaks
Just wanted to pass along something I learned recently to all you BITOGers saving up for amsoil and redline.

If you are like me and wear an undershirt most days you will notice they turn yellow over time. Apparently this is not from staining but because the fabric is off-white but is dyed to be white. So I hit my shirts with a box of Rit "white wash" ($1.70) and they look much better! They do not look new but pretty close. Will try another dose or two of the stuff. $1.70 won't even cover the tax on me replacing my old shirts.

I turned ALL of my whites pink one time (red shirt accidentally got in my wash load) and Rit White Wash made them sooooooooo white! That stuff ROCKS!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stanley Rockafeller
I notice sometimes when I buy a multi pack of brief underwear, that they usually contain a white pair in amongst the colored ones.

After washing them they all come out clean except for the white ones that have some staining in the front of them. I do not apply deodorant to my private parts so where is this yellowish staining coming from?

You gotta blot your hose with tissue paper before putting it away.

I just live with the idea that they need to be cycled out. In fact, it is about time for a refresh of my undershirt collection. I'm trying to figure out what to buy this round. I usually get the Stafford shirts from JC Penney, but seeing they don't do sales anymore, I am looking for another option. Cheap, comfortable, and don't fall apart are my criteria.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I notice sometimes when I buy a multi pack of brief underwear, that they usually contain a white pair in amongst the colored ones.

After washing them they all come out clean except for the white ones that have some staining in the front of them. I do not apply deodorant to my private parts so where is this yellowish staining coming from?

You gotta blot your hose with tissue paper before putting it away.

or he needs panty liners

Originally Posted By: joaks
Just wanted to pass along something I learned recently to all you BITOGers saving up for amsoil and redline.

If you are like me and wear an undershirt most days you will notice they turn yellow over time. Apparently this is not from staining but because the fabric is off-white but is dyed to be white. So I hit my shirts with a box of Rit "white wash" ($1.70) and they look much better! They do not look new but pretty close. Will try another dose or two of the stuff. $1.70 won't even cover the tax on me replacing my old shirts.

Which one? Our local grocery store has a blue packet and green packet. I tried blue packet but I am not terribly impressed. It was for $2.50

This is also TMI. But maybe a quick swipe down there as well with the clippers might help??? lol

In fact, I may have nightmares tonight solely because of this entire thread.

Last edited:
I dont recall the color of the packet. Was a small box. White with blue maybe. I used hot water to wash. I cant find the rit here anymore so have something called white bite which seems to be similar. It is a powder that comes in a plastic bottle.

Old people here may remember a product called 'bluing'.
It was added to the wash for white clothes - a blue dye.
The blue makes thing less yellow when in sunlight - a UV thing going on.
Modern detergents use other chemicals.

This is also why seasoned hunters wash their outer clothes in natural products, or not at all. Animals can see the UV effect a mile away like a neon sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back