Whip City Filter Friday: Fram Titanium FS10575 Oil Filter vs. Fram Ultra XG10575

What's the point of having two different filters if neither one of them is wire backed? ....
As opposed to the Fram Ultra, AAP Titanium has texture grip surface and gimmicky(imo) inlet holes. I thought once Ultra media changed, Titanium would follow. As noted, took a little longer than I expected.

We have no idea how close the EaO and Ultra are in efficiency, particularly now that the Ultra has been cheapened.

The EaO is produced, typically, by Champ, but some have been produced by Donaldson and WIX. Champion Labs produces a LOT of filters for different brands. So, while I agree that AMSOIL QC should be on-top of what they are receiving from Champ, particularly given the price of the EaO, this is ultimately a supplier issue, and AMSOIL isn't the only one we've seen affected by it.
Unfortunately they aren't always on top of the QC on oil filters.

There was a thread here about Amsoil branded oil filters with the center tube louvers, where a good chunk of the louvers upon visual inspection, was not stamped open enough.

So, eventually Amsoil came through and sent the OP a filter with correctly stamped louvers.

As opposed to the Fram Ultra, AAP Titanium has texture grip surface and gimmicky(imo) inlet holes. I thought once Ultra media changed, Titanium would follow. As noted, took a little longer than I expected.
Does Fram think they're going to get away with this without their customers caring? Soft synthetic media needs to be either wire backed or polymer backed. The Ultra was one of the best filters in the business at the time. The penny pinchers are going to drive the company into the ground.

The reason for the wire backing is to support the FULL SYNTHETIC media, just like the Purolator Boss/former Synthetic, Wix XP/NAPA Platinum, Royal Purple, etc. The “new & improved“ Ultra, & apparently some AAP Fram Titaniums, are NO LONGER full synthetic media. The new ones are only good at making First Brands more money, I wouldn’t trust them for over 7500 miles.
When you buy a european oil filter, like a Mann filter... guess what? Cellulose filter media, and good to 30,000 km, exceeding the OCI for fixed interval European cars (where specified).

t-980-01.png

I miss the days when a Fram Extraguard CH9911 was a reboxed Made-in-Germany Mahle filter

Does Fram think they're going to get away with this without their customers caring? Soft synthetic media needs to be either wire backed or polymer backed. The Ultra was one of the best filters in the business at the time. The penny pinchers are going to drive the company into the ground.
You didn't hear? Fram says the "sprayed on synthetic media" is BETTER than the old 2 layer synthetic! First Brands wouldn't lie about that, would they? /s (It's already been proven it's not as good by motorking/Jay Buckley's post on the original OG Ultra)

You didn't hear? Fram says the "sprayed on synthetic media" is BETTER than the old 2 layer synthetic! First Brands wouldn't lie about that, would they? /s (It's already been proven it's not as good by motorking/Jay Buckley's post on the original OG Ultra)
I don't think he tested filtering efficiency, just one of those OCOD "touch feely" opinions.

Soft synthetic media needs to be either wire backed or polymer backed.
If Fram would have went with a polymer/nylon mesh backing (like use on the Purolator Boss) on the new media, the change would make more sense and be better excepted. The pleats would hold up better over the rated 20K miles and help maintain the sense of quality.

Unfortunately they aren't always on top of the QC on oil filters.

There was a thread here about Amsoil branded oil filters with the center tube louvers, where a good chunk of the louvers upon visual inspection, was not stamped open enough.

So, eventually Amsoil came through and sent the OP a filter with correctly stamped louvers.
I was the OP in that thread...

I confirmed this finding yesterday when looking at four Titanium 7317 yesterday in local AAP yesterday. Went because of 25% off online code. Anyway, the two newest date code, no wire backing. Two older, but made this year, OG Ultra wire backed. Glad I brought a good flashlight to see down center tube, otherwise wouldn't have been able to tell. As I currently have a large stash of oil filters, didn't bite on the two OG for ~$9.40. Good price for the OG Ultra media.

So, the changeover to current Ultra media is underway for the AAP Titanium. :( OG media element lasted longer than I thought it would.
Did you notice if the Titanium boxes with the non-wire backed filters in them had changes to the box info that no longer shows the wire-backed media design?

I did not pay attention to the box info. Store is close, so I may stop by at some point to check it out
Could be if the change of the Titaniums is in transition you might see the new filters in the old boxes like some reported with the Ultra when it changed to the non-wire backed media.

I went all over town today trying to find a NAPA PFL-41040. I finally scored two old school Affinia made Platinums at a NAPA store nobody goes to. Full wire backed media with holes in the center core. Should be good for 20,000 miles each. An unsubstantiated rumor from a NAPA employee is that NAPA is eventually dropping the Platinum line and keeping the Gold.

Last edited:
Waiting for First Brands about the new and improved cellulose-reinforced synthetic, dual blended media. Which, of course, is a SUBSTANTIAL improvement over the OG XG media. And at only a minor cost increase of 11%, you lucky devils.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for Donaldson to take their position at top of the heap.

Could be if the change of the Titaniums is in transition you might see the new filters in the old boxes like some reported with the Ultra when it changed to the non-wire backed media.
Exactly what I found. Boxes have not changed (yet), still say wire backed even on new non wired backed media.

Not many days difference between old and new. Day 272 old, day 296 new, both this year.

Used the Fram Ultra XG3600 with the little bitty holes filter last change and engine starting ticking upon startup. Switched to the K&n so-2009 with the massive holes and tick went away.

Used the Fram Ultra XG3600 with the little bitty holes filter last change and engine starting ticking upon startup. Switched to the K&n so-2009 with the massive holes and tick went away.
If the Ultra was flow restrictive due to the holes, it wouldn't have one of the lowest delta-p vs flow as shown in the 3rd graph in this post. If your engine ticked upon start-up, it was due to something else, not the holes in the filter.

If the Ultra was flow restrictive due to the holes, it wouldn't have one of the lowest delta-p vs flow as shown in the 3rd graph in this post. If your engine ticked upon start-up, it was due to something else, not the holes in the filter.

Perhaps something was defective inside the filter? With the K&n filter there is no more tick, all I did was switch out the filters.

Perhaps something was defective inside the filter? With the K&n filter there is no more tick, all I did was switch out the filters.
Was the engine tick just right after a start-up, the went away in a very short time, or did it tick even after driving miles? If the former, then it was probably a defective ADBV in the filter.

Back