Virgin Fram FS8A Titanium oil filter cut open vs Fram XG8A oil filter

Whipcitywrencher

Site Donor 2024
Fram FS8A Titanium Oil Filter Cut Open on the left, compared to an XG8A Ultra on the right.

A comparison to it's older brother the Fram XG Ultra
smile.gif

What look's the same:
Silicone Anti drain back valve
Filter media
Bypass valve
Overall size

What's not the same:
Base plate has larger pear shaped holes
Black rough coating over the entire filter
To Me it's basically the same filter with larger base plate holes, and a black coating that probably retains more heat.
$14.99 AAP vs $8.97 WM, By the way did Walmart go up on there filters recently? I thought the Ultras were closer to 8 bucks
crazy2.gif

Enjoy the Pic's
Below is also a video of the comparison.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Video of the Fram Titanium and Ultra Click Here

Thank you for for cutting these apart. Just like I was thinking, not hardly a difference in how they are manufactured.

Originally Posted by rollinpete

To Me it's basically the same filter with larger base plate holes, and a black coating that probably retains more heat.

Um, since when is it been an oil filters job to dissipate heat?

Thanks for sharing with us, Pete.

The pear shaped holes ain't doin' much for me. As has been much discussed recently, positive displacement engine oil pumps produce the same oil flow rate (at given rpm) regardless of system backpressure, up to the pressure relief valve setting. Providing a lower backpressure filter allows it to hold "x" more contaminants due to the lower flow restriction when new. That is all.

The only possible advantage I see is engines so dirty they clog filters before OCI light comes on, thereby sending unfiltered oil through the engine. But filters can't filter out small soot particulates (<20 micron dia.) anyway, so what's the point, really, for nearly 2x the price? I usually get my Fram Ultra XG's from Rock Auto during seasonal large maintenance buys, for less than Wally World - including shipping cost.

Thanks for the comparison cut and post.

Those pear shaped holes are pretty ragged. We saw a similar example in another thread about the Titanium.

Still no new gasket on the Titanium! Would it be possible to cut some media off both of them & see if there's any difference? Just watch your fingers, the steel mesh is pretty sharp.

Fram FS8A Titanium Oil Filter Cut Open on the left, compared to an XG8A Ultra on the right.

smile.gif

What look's the same:
Filter media
Bypass valve
Overall size

What's not the same:
$14.99 AAP vs $8.97 WM, By the way did Walmart go up on there filters recently? I thought the Ultras were closer to 8 bucks
crazy2.gif

Enjoy the Pic's

It's apparent that Fram Titanium and Fram Force are just rebranded Fram Ultra and Fram Tough Guard, respectively, for Advance Auto Parts.

The holes have probably been updated on Fram Ultra as well.

Note that matte black will dissipate (not retain) more heat than shiny light-colored metal. For that reason HVAC ducts are covered with reflective aluminum so that they retain heat. That's because the heat radiation is in invisible infrared and black to the human eye. If a surface is reflective, it's emitting more visible light and less heat (less infrared).

Originally Posted by Gokhan

smile.gif

What look's the same:
Filter media
Bypass valve
Overall size

What's not the same:
crazy2.gif

Enjoy the Pic's

It's apparent that Fram Titanium and Fram Force are just rebranded Fram Ultra and Fram Tough Guard, respectively, for Advance Auto Parts.

The holes have probably been updated on Fram Ultra as well.

They are not just "rebadged" Frams, there are differences. And Fram is not going to make the same changes to the Fram brand line. Read the thread I started about Fram vs AAP, which has a chat discussion with Fram.

rollinpete - thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
But filters can't filter out small soot particulates (div>

A filter rated at 99% @ 20μ filters out more particles below 20μ than a filter rated at 50% @ 20μ. Motorking posted many times that the Ultra is 80% @ 5μ.

Thanks for the C&P. Agreed - Nice photos.

I've got a FS8A to use because XG8A has been out of stock for some time at WM. I was afraid i was going to have to put a shorty on it...

Thanks for posting the pics. Good to see there really is no difference.

Guess I will be sticking with the Ultra for top quality.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Still no new gasket on the Titanium!

I am curious, how do you know that to the Titanium gasket IS NOT different from what is on say the Ultra? I think we have covered the notion as to the Titanium gasket not being orange in another thread or two.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Do these new Frams still use their ultra thin cans?

Define "ultra thin" please. I have a theory I am working on about why other filter cans need to be thicker and it has much to do with pressure buildup due to things like bypass springs and/or flow restrictive filters/media.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Those louvers are gosh-darn small.
I do like the larger base plate holes.

Those are holes, not louvers.

Back