Whip City Filter Friday: Fram Titanium FS10575 Oil Filter vs. Fram Ultra XG10575

Would have to compare the used filter "pleat waviness factor" on the new Ultra to other non-wire backed filters. Of course a wire backed media will not have much or any tendency to have wavy pleats due to the wire backing. Lots of non-wire back media filters typically have some level of wavy pleats after use. Doesn't "look good", but if the pleats don't tear then it's not impacting performance.

Doesn't matter....

Even OG Mobil 1 oil filters looked way better than the current phony Ultra...

And that M-1 filter media was not wired backed either.

M-1 filters looked like... Really high quality with drum roll please.... No waves on smaller filters like ever.... And long filters... Hardly any on them most of the time too.

Again... If I'm paying premium money for a filter....

It should look really, really good when cut open...

If I'm buying a 2nd tier or 3rd tier economy filter....

Then yeah... Some waviness in that would be all right and not unexpected.

A highest end top tier filter... Sorry... But I want one that looks like and is just that.

Last edited:
Yeah guess what...

Looks matter....

When paying for a supposed " premium" filter ...

2nd tier or economy aka 3rd tier... Expectation is definitely lower.

There's a real concept...

Look at all of the REAL legit high end filterrs on here... M-1, Real Fram Ultra, Amsoil filters....

Tell me that there's not a difference...

Ray Charles could see it.

And.... Those filters have premium performance too...

Again lower tier I get it.

Hell I cut open a Purolator Red and it was a bit wavy.... Not surprised... I wasn't expecting it to look like a high end filter.

Like a OG Fram Ultra or M-1.;

Some wavy pleats aren't really gonna make or break me from using a filter with high efficiency and holding capacity, and doesn't fail in use. If I couldn't get the Titanium for $2 more (still cheaper than RP, Amsoil, M1, etc) I'd have no problem using the new Ultra.

Amsoil can’t figure out how to make louvers or how many ADBVs belong in a filter; M1 has never been a top performer in efficiency. Fram Ultra dominates both.

Amsoil can’t figure out how to make louvers or how many ADBVs belong in a filter; M1 has never been a top performer in efficiency. Fram Ultra dominates both.
We have no idea how close the EaO and Ultra are in efficiency, particularly now that the Ultra has been cheapened.

The EaO is produced, typically, by Champ, but some have been produced by Donaldson and WIX. Champion Labs produces a LOT of filters for different brands. So, while I agree that AMSOIL QC should be on-top of what they are receiving from Champ, particularly given the price of the EaO, this is ultimately a supplier issue, and AMSOIL isn't the only one we've seen affected by it.

The TITANIUM has same innards as the original ULTRA . I think the only difference is the holes ( tear drop ) in the base plate . That's why I bought the TITANIUM .

New ULTRA w/ no screen . This NEW Ultra has shavings.

^^^ Yes, it's been covered many times. If you want the OG Ultra, go buy the Fram Titanium from AAP.

While watching the video, I could tell the Ultra needs the wire backing. The media is too soft and flexible without the wire backing. I think I'd buy the Titanium for that reason.

While watching the video, I could tell the Ultra needs the wire backing. The media is too soft and flexible without the wire backing. I think I'd buy the Titanium for that reason.
Double check the Titanium for the wire backing. Reports lately have said they saw some Titaniums without the wire backed media, so the media change may be hitting them now too. :sneaky:

The reason for the wire backing is to support the FULL SYNTHETIC media, just like the Purolator Boss/former Synthetic, Wix XP/NAPA Platinum, Royal Purple, etc. The “new & improved“ Ultra, & apparently some AAP Fram Titaniums, are NO LONGER full synthetic media. The new ones are only good at making First Brands more money, I wouldn’t trust them for over 7500 miles.

Double check the Titanium for the wire backing. Reports lately have said they saw some Titaniums without the wire backed media, so the media change may be hitting them now too. :sneaky:
I confirmed this finding yesterday when looking at four Titanium 7317 yesterday in local AAP yesterday. Went because of 25% off online code. Anyway, the two newest date code, no wire backing. Two older, but made this year, OG Ultra wire backed. Glad I brought a good flashlight to see down center tube, otherwise wouldn't have been able to tell. As I currently have a large stash of oil filters, didn't bite on the two OG for ~$9.40. Good price for the OG Ultra media.

So, the changeover to current Ultra media is underway for the AAP Titanium. :( OG media element lasted longer than I thought it would.

Last edited:
I confirmed this finding yesterday when looking at four Titanium 7317 yesterday in local AAP yesterday. Went because of 25% off online code. Anyway, the two newest date code, no wire backing. Two older, but made this year, OG Ultra wire backed. Glad I brought a good flashlight to see down center tube, otherwise wouldn't have been able to tell. As I currently have a large stash of oil filters, didn't bite on the two OG for ~$9.40. Good price for the OG Ultra media.

So, the changeover to current Ultra media is underway for the AAP Titanium. :( OG media element lasted longer than I thought it would.
What's the point of having two different filters if neither one of them is wire backed? They should drop both lines entirely and go back to making the orange can that collapses and shuts off the oil flow.

Back