Whip City Filter Friday: Fram Titanium FS10575 Oil Filter vs. Fram Ultra XG10575

I didn't see any other threads for this, so I thought I'd share. As always, I have no affiliation to WCW or his channel and nobody is obligated to to watch the video and give him ad revenue. That said, it was interesting to see that there are indeed very tangible differences between these filter, with a couple innocuous similarities. Take a look if you're curious to see what those are.

I emailed Fram directly and asked...

"Fram,
I have a 2019 Toyota Tacoma with the 3.5L V6 motor. What's the difference, either in the construction or the filtering ability, between the Fram Titanium filter (SKU FS9972) and the Fram Ultra Synthetic (SKU XG9972)?

Thank you."

and they replied...

"The Titanium is a exclusive line offered by Advance Auto Parts. The filter gets 99% of a 20 micron but the Titanium has oval drain back holes that gives the filter the ability to drain efficiently. The Ultra also has the same exact 99% of 20 microns but you cannot get this one from Advance and it has the standard drain back holes."

Ed

"Fram,
I have a 2019 Toyota Tacoma with the 3.5L V6 motor. What's the difference, either in the construction or the filtering ability, between the Fram Titanium filter (SKU FS9972) and the Fram Ultra Synthetic (SKU XG9972)?

Thank you."

and they replied...

"The Titanium is a exclusive line offered by Advance Auto Parts. The filter gets 99% of a 20 micron but the Titanium has oval drain back holes that gives the filter the ability to drain efficiently. The Ultra also has the same exact 99% of 20 microns but you cannot get this one from Advance and it has the standard drain back holes."

Ed

Wait what

"Fram,

Thank you."

and they replied...

Ed
Based on this response, I won't pass by the isle where FRAM filters are located as I might get infected by stupidity.

Assuming their response is related to some engineering "benefit"... It appears they (Fram) can't answer the question. Actually leaves more of a question about the "holes".

"Drain holes" ... only time they are "drain holes" is when the ADBV is leaking. 😄

Info on the Titanium ...

Thanks MPH for the new post by Whip City Wrencher . Shavings and waves included . 🪒🌊

Was curious about the waviness and this helps . Wonder if they get worse when in use and if longevity to be a concern . He only ran it for 4,120 miles and 6 months .

Last edited:
What's so bad by some wavy pleats after use? Oil filters aren't a museum piece for visual art presentation, lol.

When one pays more money for a top tier oil filter.... One would expect very straight and intact good looking filter pleats.

Like say.... I don't know but like on the Fram Titanium and or OG real Fram Ultra.

Sorry but OG Mobil 1 filters looked and most still do made by Champ do look great... Fram OG Ultra filters looked great... Fram Titanium filters look great.

There's a concept.

This new filter is a TG...

I got a Fram Titanium on the lady's 98 Camry. At least it is what it SHOULD be... A real legit high end filter.

When one pays more money for a top tier oil filter.... One would expect very straight and intact good looking filter pleats.

Like say.... I don't know but like on the Fram Titanium and or OG real Fram Ultra.
Would have to compare the used filter "pleat waviness factor" on the new Ultra to other non-wire backed filters. Of course a wire backed media will not have much or any tendency to have wavy pleats due to the wire backing. Lots of non-wire back media filters typically have some level of wavy pleats after use. Doesn't "look good", but if the pleats don't tear then it's not impacting performance.

"Fram,

Thank you."

and they replied...

Ed
They let @Motorking/Jay Buckley go for THIS?? Makes Mann & Hummel/Purolator tech support look like geniuses! Of course, my discussion with Fram "Tech" about the "black silicon" TG & EG ADBVs went just about as well. Our hedge fund overlords are NOT engineers!

Purolator needs to hire some members from here to get a decent Tech Line organization going. 😄

Back