Which will be more reliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect the cheapest 4x4 to buy and run is either the 4 cyl 99-04 Tracker/Vitara or a CRV or RAV4. The Tracker will be cheaper up front but may need a few more small repairs than the Honda or Toyota. If you want a manual trans and do some off roading, only the Tracker has a 2 range transfer case.

Have you considered a used Range Rover or used Jaguar? For the same amount of headache, you would have lot more fun!

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I suspect the cheapest 4x4 to buy and run is either the 4 cyl 99-04 Tracker/Vitara or a CRV or RAV4. The Tracker will be cheaper up front but may need a few more small repairs than the Honda or Toyota. If you want a manual trans and do some off roading, only the Tracker has a 2 range transfer case.

Cherokee! Mile had 200,000+ miles and even had its original water pump.

If starting from scratch, I'd take the Jeep over the VW.

That being said, you aren't starting from scratch. If you think buying a 14 year old Jeep with an unknown maintenance history and 125k miles is going to get you a more reliable vehicle, I wish you luck. Parts will be cheaper, and repair work is generally pretty simple on these with tons of aftermarket support if you choose to tackle it yourself.

I say that as a former owner of a Cherokee. ( I was on my 3rd water pump at 135,00 miles). Fun for what it was, a tank in the snow, etc... but reliable was a touch of stretch - it was reliable so long as you kept up with the nickel and dime stuff and wrenched on it yourself. It would also run forever! No doubt the 4.0 is a decent engine - its all the stuff bolted to it that will get you!

A WJ Grand Cherokee is going to have it's issues for sure. I'm a bit more familiar with them so I'd pick that.

But if I had the option to pick something else, I'd pick something else over those two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back