2004 Suburban 2500 6.0 with 200k Miles?

Been looking for a 2500 Suburban.
I looked at one locally today. The price caught my attention at 6k. but it has 200k miles on it.
Ideally I would look for the 6 speed transmission, but this one has the 4L80E, 6.0 L engine and the 4:10 gears.
I figured for 6k, I could dump some money into it and still be ahead of the game if these 6.0's are solid enough to get another 100k+ miles out of it.
Lots of little things wrong with it. It is not in perfect condition by any means. Fuel pump was replaced, so that saves one of the big $$$ things that goes wrong with these. Tires are good still.
Superficial rust on undercarriage, nothing serious. Been owned by one owner in Florida since 2008, so slight rust must be from previous owner or from travelling.
The good:
Solid 2500 Chassis
Decent only O.K condition
$6,000
6.0 L engine
New calipers, pads, lines and rotors (Cant speak to the quality of any of these parts)
Decent condition Michelin tires
Z82 and Z85 package

The bad:
200k miles
Brake pedal pulsates/vibrates when applying brakes when vehicle is in park.
Power mirrors don't work
Drivers seat up/down motor doesn't work
Rear hatch window hinge broken
Won't switch into 4L. Goes into 4H, but not 4L. I only tried switching while in park, not neutral.
Minor body damage
Paint is showing signs of ageing. Maybe good for a couple more years with some touchups
Dash board has skin over cracked dash and auto light sensor seems to be missing.
I imagine rear main seal will be due for replacement soon, although I didn't see signs of major leaks
Will need new seat covers for front seats.
Odometer reads "Error". I guess this means a new chip and new programming. Not sure what that entails or cost.

My biggest concerns here are 200k miles and the brakes.
I don't want to get into a problem car. I would much rather find one with lower miles, 6 speed in better condition for more money, but these things are hard to find at a reasonable cost.
I can wait, I am in no hurry.

I think it depends on how much of the work you intend to do yourself. If you like the vehicle and enjoy turning wrenches it might be okay for you. If you intend to hire it all out it will be a total money pit and you'll tie up way more $ than the vehicle is worth in it.

I enjoy turning wrenches and do most of my repair work myself if time allows. That's how I justify keeping older vehicles running vs a vehicle payment.

The 4wd complicates some front repairs. If you live in FL, there is little reason for 4wd, I personally wouldnt take a heavy vehicle like that on the beach either. My 2500 has what I would term as superficial rust from age and not necessarily driving in the north. A carfax would clear that up where it previously lived and service records. It does sound a little rough to me, use that as leverage and ask a little bit off.

If you do end up buying, assume all fluids need serviced. Coolant, brakes, oil, front, rear differentials, transfer case.

I'd be in at 4,000 bucks. the 6.0/4L80 is pretty solid, should have the 10.5 inch 14 bolt full floating read end. Make sure the transfers case isn't leaking rom pump rub.

It will probably need a cluster rebuild with the error. As I recall there is procedure to try and reset it by pulling fuses, but I don't remember for sure.

6,000 the way you describe it sounds pricey to me.

4k wouldn't be bad. Mileage on a LQ4 and 4L80 if appearing to be operationally sound doesn't scare me.

They are solid vehicles. Probably the best SUV ever made all around. I have two. Buy it, fix what is needed, and you will be getting a good truck with tremendous capability.

For $6K you really can't go wrong. Those big 2500 Subs are sought after just like the Ford Excursions. Kind of a cult following among campers, fishermen, and hunters as well as the off-road custom group. You really cannot expect much of a lower price. I always wish on these types of post people would post a couple pictures because it's so interesting to see what people are buying.

I'd be in at 4,000 bucks. the 6.0/4L80 is pretty solid, should have the 10.5 inch 14 bolt full floating read end. Make sure the transfers case isn't leaking rom pump rub.

It will probably need a cluster rebuild with the error. As I recall there is procedure to try and reset it by pulling fuses, but I don't remember for sure.

6,000 the way you describe it sounds pricey to me.
The 14 bolt full floating diff would be a bonus all right, but not likely.
It probably has a 44 front and 208 transfer case.

The 14 bolt full floating diff would be a bonus all right, but not likely.
It probably has a 44 front and 208 transfer case.
It is 3/4 ton GM the only other two rear ends put under GMT 800 platforms (non 1/2 ton) were the 9.5 inch semi floating read end in the 2500 and 1500HD trucks, the 10.5 inch full floater in the 6.0/4L80E powered 2500HD/3500HD or the 11.5 inch full floater in the 8.1/Duramax 2500HD/3500HD. So it is possible it got the 9.5 inch semi floater. I have seen them have one or the other. He has to look at RPO codes.

It is 3/4 ton GM the only other two rear ends put under GMT 800 platforms (non 1/2 ton) were the 9.5 inch semi floating read end in the 2500 and 1500HD trucks, the 10.5 inch full floater in the 6.0/4L80E powered 2500HD/3500HD or the 11.5 inch full floater in the 8.1/Duramax 2500HD/3500HD. So it is possible it got the 9.5 inch semi floater. I have seen them have one or the other. He has to look at RPO codes.
what rpo code would show which one? I did a search online, but couldn't isolate the code other than the 4:10 ratio?
2023-08-02 17.14.03.jpg

Does this help define which one?
2023-08-03 17.14.17.jpg

It's a 9.5" Semi Float 14-Bolt., Biggest disadvantage is it being Semi Float. I had one in a '85 C20 Suburban & all I ever had to do was Axles & Axle Bearings over 350,000 miles while exceeding payload anytime I towed ;)

Pretty sure a SRW GMT800 AAM 11.5" will fit, 8.1L trucks had 4.10's.....As will the SRW 10.5" diff with most having 4.10's.

Back