Which Synthetic oil to use in my new Acura RDX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I did say MOST, not all. You guys can be soooooo technical ALL of the time...
smile.gif

My Rsx-Type S calls for 5W30.
I would just stick with what they are saying stay with M1 everything will be all good, and you wont void your warranty if something catastrophic happens to your engine.

Quote:

Quote:

Also, as a side note, interesting as well that they went back to a 5w30 with the turbo, as most every other Honda specifies 5w20 or 0w20 in the Hybrids.

The high-revving S2000 still calls for 5W-30.

Honda recommends 10W30 or 5W40 for the S2000.

Maybe that's because AMSOIL is more honest and open regarding their formulations...

And BTW, I still like Mobil1 and am currently using it...

I never said to use just Amsoil, all I stated was that if he so desired to use it, it would be just fine. I don't know why Honda decided to come up with a new spec for their oil with this vehicle, but I can guarantee there are definitely more than just Mobil OR Amsoil lubricants that will do this engine proud. Honda engines for the MOST part (notice I did say MOST, not ALL) are pretty easy on oil to begin with, so pick your favorite and go with it.

P.S. I rather read about Amsoil here than that darn GC anyday!!!

Quote:

This place is becoming s shill for AMSOIL. M1 meets the spec, AMSOIL does not. End of story.

I saw no shills in this thread. Even the guy selling the stuff wrote this:

Quote:

No Amsoil ASL is not "Honda HTO-06" certified. But it certainly is better than equivalent. It's an interesting way to avoid the MM act in the USA, by using "or equivalent" so boldly.

http://www.amsoil.com/magnuson_moss.aspx
Not at all related to your Honda, but some similarities

DON'T want to bog your thread with the usual battle just laying out Amsoil's position. If this bugs you, use the M1 or PP, but they are not superior oils.

Also, just stick with the max recommended OCI and you'll be fine.

People are free to look for better alternatives, just as you are free to express your opinions and displeasure with Amsoil. I'd like to think that is what BITOG is all about.

In this case even Honda assured alternatives with their own words.

Quote:

I saw no shills in this thread.

I did, but I am not only speaking about THIS thread. Then, let's pile on negatives about M1, even though it's largely speculation of what the formulation really is and why.
smirk.gif
Further, M1 still gives fine usage and the same great UOA it has done for 25+ years for me.

Quote:

Quote:

I saw no shills in this thread.

I did, but I am not only speaking about THIS thread. Then, let's pile on negatives about M1, even though it's largely speculation of what the formulation really is and why.
smirk.gif
Further, M1 still gives fine usage and the same great UOA it has done for 25+ years for me.

Don't go over to the UOA forum and compare Mobil 1 to other oils in the same engines.

It does not do as well. On a 2000 chevy 4.8l V8 it was not as good as Pennzoil conventional or Chevron (at TEN times the cost)

Or on a 3.0l Ford V6.

Or a Toyota 1.8l I4.

I've done those my self. Same engines, same driving styles, same OCI.

Better oils out there for the $$ IMO.

*If* I was going to spend the $$ ($4-6 a quart) Mobil 1 would be LAST on my list... (due to performance, marketing)

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

thanks guys, guess I'll probably go with the Amsoil and will definately do a test.

Will be posting back with results as I have no clue about the mumbo jumbo involved in a UOA.

Is Amsoil ASL good? or is there a better model of Amsoil oil out there?

I would use GC 0w30 but there isn't much information on this engine as its only a year old and its a turbo so I can't make the normal "Honda Assumption"

Do any of the Amsoil guys know why Amsoil hasn't badged their oils to meet with HTO-06 standard if two of the "cheaper" oils are doing so, I don't understand why amsoil's oils can't meet the standard.

If im asking too many dumb questions please don't flame me! Its a new quite expensive car and I just want the best for it.

ok I just searched around some more and Acura is saying they could void the warranty if I don't use an oil that meets their standard. Now I definitely don't want to loose my warranty.

So I guess im stuck between Mobil 1 and PP. I guess Mobil 1 is probably the one im gonna stick with simply because it comes in a 4L jug (easy to get rid of my old oil lol).

Good find. Correction, there are 3 approved oils in the US, not 2 - your choice, you see Honda's data.

Petro-Canada has a Turbo Synthetic 5W-30 that is designed to meet Honda HTO-06. Seems like somewhat of a fringe product so I don't know how many P-C places will carry it. You could try a bulk dealership -- they have the best prices compared to the gas stations.

PETRO-CANADA TURBO SYNTHETIC 5W-30
Petro-Canada Turbo Synthetic 5W-30 is a specially formulated motor oil
designed to meet the Honda HTO-06 specification for Honda turbocharged
gasoline engines. It also meets API SM and ILSAC GF-4 and is Energy
Conserving.

SAE Grade 5W-30
Viscosity cSt @ 40°C 63.4
cSt @ 100°C 11.3
SUS @ 100°F 321
SUS @ 210°F 64.4
Viscosity Index 175
Flash Point, °C / °F 227/441
Cold Crank Viscosity, cP @ -30°C 4,672
Borderline Pumping Viscosity, cP@ -35°C 12,917
Sulphated Ash, % Wt 1.10

Curious though Pablo, could you find out if Amsoil would say that they are compliant with this new spec?

After all of the discussion and reading the page you quoted, I think this is just one more way to
stirthepot.gif
as far as what you're allowed to use. Many of us use something other than the "gold standard" of the manual, with no wear issues whatsoever.
cheers.gif

Quote:

Curious though Pablo, could you find out if Amsoil would say that they are compliant with this new spec?

I asked Amsoil several months ago. Oct 2006 to be exact! I think I posted the answer...
Quote:

In response to your inquiry, we are in the process of development of a product meeting this new specification.

So I asked again today. No response yet.

Personally I would stick with an oil which is labeled as meeting the Honda/Acura specification. It just isn't worth messing around with. Personally I prefer Pennzoil Platinum to Mobil-1 and at least in the US I am able to find great deals on PP routinely, so for me that would be the end of the story. In fact, I have the next two oil changes of PP for my Acura TSX sitting on the shelf thanks to free-after-rebate and $.99/quart after rebate deals.

Amsoil's response that "... we are in the process of development of a product meeting this new specification." implies pretty clearly that their existing products probably do not meet the specification.

Now if only Honda would release details of what exactly this mystery test is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back