0w20 gf6 oil in older Honda ivtec engines

So I just picked up a 2011 Honda City that runs a naturally aspirated 1.5 liter ivtec. The Honda dealership I serviced it at filled a 0w20 (their oem for oil is Idemitsu) and then told me it is due for its next oil change in 3 months / 5000 kilometers.

My last Honda ivtec was over a decade back but I distinctly remember their recommended oil back then was a standard 5w40 acea a3b4 with a 10k kilometers / 1 year OCI.

I personally don’t see the harm in switching back to a 5w30 or 5w40, but how long can I stretch this 0w20? 5k kilometers strikes me as rather wasteful of a perfectly good oil, and I’ve run 4500 with the oil turning only a light brown so far and no perceptible decrease in engine smoothness. Yes I know I can get a used oil analysis, that gets really expensive to test a gallon of cheap group III synthetic.

Where I live gets quite hot (100F ++ in the summers and warm weather year round)

I would feel comfortable with 5,000 miles on a 1.5 Honda with 0W-20. Idemitsu 0W-20 is a decent oil. That would be about 8,000 kilometers.

4,500 kilometers is about 2,800 miles, and for us in the states that would be pretty quick for a lot of us even in southern states, Florida, Texas, Arizona, etc.

Maybe if you'd want to be conservative about it, change it at 6,500 kilometers which would be 4,000 miles. Either way, I don't think that would be bad for it.

Your 10,000-kilometer interval on a quality 5W-40 (synthetic?) would only be about 6,200 miles, which isn't a far stretch either.

Forgot to mention a lot of this usage is in bumper to bumper city traffic. 6000-8000 kilometres strikes me as optimal. Thanks!

Yeah 10k km on a decent group III synthetic from Mobil (super 3000) or similar.

Forgot to mention a lot of this usage is in bumper to bumper city traffic. 6000-8000 kilometres strikes me as optimal. Thanks!

Yeah 10k km on a decent group III synthetic from Mobil (super 3000) or similar.
5w-40 or 5w-30 should work great for in town commuting.

What does the owners manual say regarding oil recommendations and service intervals ?

Does it have the maintenance minder system that displays percentage left of oil life ?

Example below

oillife.jpg

What does the owners manual say regarding oil recommendations and service intervals ?

Does it have the maintenance minder system that displays percentage left of oil life ?

The manual has a year and 10k and suggests 5w40 (or 10w40 conventional). There isn’t any oil life indicator or anything much else other than a speedometer, rev counter and the standard informational / warning lights.

I am perfectly happy sticking to that recommendation- just wanted to figure out how long I can stretch this 0w20 fill without wasting it.

Ah forget it, I’ll probably just change it at the nearest 5k of miles run so that I don’t have to keep remembering when to schedule an oil change. :)

Back