18 years of 0w20 motor oil at Honda

7kvnwh.jpg

Have a 2005 Pilot we purchased new. Currently 203k miles and up until 3 yrs ago all oil changes were at dealer (always had a discount coupon so wasnt getting raped on price). Since then, have been doing it at home with either 10-30, 10-40, or 0-40 M1. Have always changed at a 3500-5000 mile interval. No internal work and the engine does not really require any topoff since going to M1.

What about recent GDI engines (especially Turbo) introduction that dilutes oil with gas like crazy with big viscosity drops? These engines are in its own category and prior experience with 0w-20 is not relevant for them

What about recent GDI engines (especially Turbo) introduction that dilutes oil with gas like crazy with big viscosity drops? These engines are in its own category and prior experience with 0w-20 is not relevant for them
I have a 2013 Ford Focus that I bought new. It's 10 years old last month. 125K miles. GDI (non-turbo). Ran 5W20 it's whole existance. Zero issues or concerns, runs strong, no consumption or indications that 20W has caused any problems. Lots of VW MK7 GTIs running around nearing 100K miles on VW508 00 0W20. You jsut don't hear about drama. It's all online spookery. Would I track my GTI with 20W? No. But for most folks just driving around...it's fine....

I have a 2013 Ford Focus that I bought new. It's 10 years old last month. 125K miles. GDI (non-turbo). Ran 5W20 it's whole existance. Zero issues or concerns, runs strong, no consumption or indications that 20W has caused any problems. Lots of VW MK7 GTIs running around nearing 100K miles on VW508 00 0W20. You jsut don't hear about drama. It's all online spookery. Would I track my GTI with 20W? No. But for most folks just driving around...it's fine....

Unfortunately Honda GDI turbo dilutes oil with gas very significantly to the point that 0w30 viscosity drops to 0w20 or even lower. I am not comfortable with such drastic viscosity drop in my Honda engine and use higher viscosity

Unfortunately Honda GDI turbo dilutes oil with gas very significantly to the point that 0w30 viscosity drops to 0w20 or even lower. I am not comfortable with such drastic viscosity drop in my Honda engine and use higher viscosity
And in that case, sure, use the 30 or 40W or just change it more frequently. Even then...nobody is showing me that the 20W with fuel is causing blown up engines here....

And in that case, sure, use the 30 or 40W or just change it more frequently. Even then...nobody is showing me that the 20W with fuel is causing blown up engines here....
Not all engines are the same, Toyota/Lexus GDI turbo are less of a fuel diluter as an example. Honda GDI turbo been around since 2017, so it got 5 years of history and not too many people are 200k or more miles. We will have more data later.

Not all engines are the same, Toyota/Lexus GDI turbo are less of a fuel diluter as an example. Honda GDI turbo been around since 2017, so it got 5 years of history and not too many people are 200k or more miles. We will have more data later.
To me the fuel dilution issue is mitigated by shorter/more frequent OCIs, not necessarily thicker oil even though again...whatever floats folks' boats here.

To me the fuel dilution issue is mitigated by shorter/more frequent OCIs, not necessarily thicker oil even though again...whatever floats folks' boats here.
Shorter OCI did not work. I cut my OCI from 7k miles to 4k miles, and fuel dilution was the same(5%) And its mostly highway driving also.

I have a friend that has that kind of mileage con her Honda. She gets the oil changed when the monitor tells her. Seems to be running fine.

Shorter OCI did not work. I cut my OCI from 7k miles to 4k miles, and fuel dilution was the same(5%) And its mostly highway driving also.
Is this the 1.5L? Yeah, so use the 30 or 40 to get some room on it. Won't hurt it. What does the ending viscosity on the 20 come out at?

Is this the 1.5L? Yeah, so use the 30 or 40 to get some room on it. Won't hurt it. What does the ending viscosity on the 20 come out at?
Its 2.0 Turbo. My viscosity was 6.6 with 0w20 after just 3500 miles

Back