18 years of 0w20 motor oil at Honda

Time to take a look back at Honda engines using 0w20 motor oil. It’s been recommended by Honda for 18 years. Perhaps some Honda owners would like to post the mileage on their vehicles. What prompted it was this promotional material I saw from Idemitsu. Enjoy.

01C9CFEC-EB9C-4DFE-9CEA-685B67E7A7DF.png

Yes, and please post stories of all these engines that have worn out or blown up because of that water thin 0w20 oil! I can't imagine one of them made it even a mile beyond 100k.

I honestly have no clue how my 08 Jeep made it past 180k on such thin 20w oil. It is a miracle!

Yes, and please post stories of all these engines that have worn out or blown up because of that water thin 0w20 oil! I can't imagine one of them made it even a mile beyond 100k.

I honestly have no clue how my 08 Jeep made it past 180k on such thin 20w oil. It is a miracle!
Plenty of Honda Insights with 300,000 and over 400,000 miles.

1616639168532-jpeg.89930

It was for sure the oil that got you there.

Have 140K on my Acura TL in signature -- ran nothing but 0W20 & 5W20 since ownership at 63,xxx miles. Second owner since 2012 -- next change coming up soon -- Chevron Synthetic Blend 5W30 when it was less then 8 bucks the other year for a 5 quart jug. First time using a 5W30 in it.

I've had one or more Hondas and/or Acuras at a time since 2000, and I never fed them 0w-20. It's always been 5w-20 for me living between NC and FL, not in a colder climate. It's just my personal preference. I can appreciate the pioneering done by Idemitsu and Honda back then, but that extra one or two tenths of an MPG matters not to me. I only keep a 0w-20 stash for the newer Lexus and Toyota vehicles I maintain for friends.

Last edited:
33% difference 30 to 20.

Numerically yes but in regards to oil grade I don’t think that applies. Each grade has a range of viscosity so that might be a better way to determine it.

Bobs Viscosity Chart.

I think one of the things that’s brought this debate to the surface again is the advent of DI/TGDI engines and the consequent fuel dilution. A lot of 0-20s are effectively 0w-16s based on UOAs here while a 30-weight would turn into a 20. Such a conundrum…

I never realized it was around this long haha. Guess I’m too young to know lol. I thought it came along about 2006 or 07 because that’s about when Toyota put on their caps 5W-20 or 0W-20.

I've had one or more Hondas and/or Acuras at a time since 2000, and I never fed them 0w-20. It's always been 5w-20 for me living between NC and FL, not in a colder climate. It's just my personal preference. I can appreciate the pioneering done by Idemitsu and Honda back then, but that extra one or two tenths of an MPG matters not to me. I only keep a 0w-20 stash for the newer Lexus and Toyota vehicles I maintain for friends.
My dealer charged $10 more for 0w over 5w... In the day

I never realized it was around this long haha. Guess I’m too young to know lol. I thought it came along about 2006 or 07 because that’s about when Toyota put on their caps 5W-20 or 0W-20.
It must have been a mind altering event for you when Toyota came out with a 0w-20 oil cap and a push button start all on one vehicle...

Back