Which P.S oil additive and sealer for Volvo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strangely , my Volvo S60 2001 leaks a bit of power steering fluid by very cold weather.....
Which additive/sealer can I use with the green Volvo P.S fluid?
Thanks a lot

Cant you find the leak and correct it?

The power steering is extremely sensitive so i think adding something else then Volvos fluid could be a risk.

You say its leaking by very cold wether. Maybe you should do a flush and see if it helps. It could maybe be sludge somewhere in the system that cause excessive pressure and make it to leak?

Thank you JBL ,I greatly appreciated your assistance...but I think the leak come from the rack and pinion !!
You say do a flush.....how would you do that on the S60 please?
In fact ,my wife is using the car and she maybe a bit rough with the steering .....
Waiting for your comments....Thanks again

Most PS fluid brands have a stop leak product. Any should work well enough for the top offs.
Another option is the high mileage ATFs from Valvoline or Pennzoil.

Get the flush 1st and use a PSF/ATF with stop leak in it.

Since you're up north, I won't recommend the Lucas 'cause its too thick for that weather.

Have heard that auto-rx.com works great in power steering systems. Since your leak is small, it should work fine without tainting your fluid by adding some cheap PS fluid. If you try it let us know how it works.

Last edited:
The flush is easy done by removing the return line to the reservoire. The return line is the smaller tubing in top of the reservoire.

Then return line is removed put it in a bottle that can handle 1-liter of fluid. Turn the engine on for roughly 30 seconds or less.
Add new fluid in to the reservoir and repeat above procedure.

Do this procedure until clear fluid is coming out.

You need to buy some liters to be able to get your system clean.

A leak in the rack and pinion is expensive to correct. If the flush didnt help use undummys advice to see if its help you out.

Unfortenatly i know some people who needed to replace the rack here in Sweden. But lets hope the advice from here shold be enough to correct the leak.

Thanks to all of you for the advises...
I am going to do a flush first ! Do I really need to do it with the $25/liter Volvo PSF ?
I have a Kleen-Flow PSF (sold by an independant Volvo garage repair)...Good enough?

Are you sure the leak is at the rack, and not leaking onto the rack from a defective hose, fitting, washer, or clamp?

Volvo's PSF spec is similar to Pentosin. Since you're up north, having that wide temp range flowing PSF, or an equivalent, is the best choice.

You should search online for the OEM PN(which is?). You'll find it a lot cheaper than the Volvo dealer.

I don't see how a flush will help with the leak. In fact, it could make it worse.

The fluid is the CHF-11S. FCPGroton has a good price on it. Last I checked $14.50/liter. Personally, I would not add any cheap PSF. I would try the Auto-RX and flush it afterward.

Agreed. Try the ARX and then refill with 11S. If you want to toss in 1/2 oz of LC with the fresh fill for some added fluid durability, ok. But I wouldn't deviate any more than that from fluid spec.

It's best to fix the leaks on these P2s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back