Can I drive with no power steering fluid ?

A month ago I had to park my winter ride in the driveway and drive my summer vehicle because the winter ride started leaking power steering fluid . Since the P.S. resevoir is empty...... can I drive it into the garage (which is about 30 ft away ) without damaging the PS pump ?

I suspect you’ll foam up what’s left in there. I know once I was flushing PSF in a car with an open reservoir, and I let it go a bit low. And it made a LOT of bubbles in just a fraction of a second.

I know that people run their suspension pumps dry on old Mercedes cars. And the pump is split between PS and rear suspension. FWIW.

I think you’ll just get a foamy mess.

A month ago I had to park my winter ride in the driveway and drive my summer vehicle because the winter ride started leaking power steering fluid .
Why park it, just remove the belt if it doesn't run the alternator or water pump. I drove a Saturn for a month without power assist and it had EPS. Talk about getting an upper body workout.

Remove the belt and drive it.

Fill it up and drive it. It can't leak that much in 30'.

A month ago I had to park my winter ride in the driveway and drive my summer vehicle because the winter ride started leaking power steering fluid . Since the P.S. resevoir is empty...... can I drive it into the garage (which is about 30 ft away ) without damaging the PS pump ?
Maybe 15 feet but not 30.

Back