Can old power steering fluid cause buzzing noise?

My 2006 TDCi Ford Focus produces some buzzing noise. I searched on the entire internet, watched several videos on youtube but no one seems similar to mine. I asked a local mechanic and he said it's not produced by the belts or engine parts run by the belts. I discovered this little power steering electric motor, where the noise is definitely coming from. My question is, what if I change the fluid? (which is probably 17 years old) Could this solve the problem? Is it advised to change the power steering fluid? Thanks in advance!

Check the vacuum pump, when I start my car, the vacuum pump buzzes for 5-10 seconds. Not sure if it's supposed to, but it's always done that. This is what it looks like (different model, and mounted vertically) I think if the fluid is 17 years old, that could cause all kinds of problems on its own and should be replaced in my opinion.

Are you sure the motor is for the PS? I'm surprised to see an electric PS motor on older car, especially since you have hydraulic PS, it would only be an assist motor of some sort

Attachments

• 639923230_max.jpg
    639923230_max.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 4
Yes, but does this focus use an electrohydraulic powersteering system? I found those are rather rare, it's often hydraulic with engine driven pump or full electric

So I tried to locate the exact source of the noise and only one thing is there. That thing with reservoir. Yes, I'm sure it is for the power steering, there is a PS sign on the cap. You must be right it could be an assisant motor!? If I search for parts for my car, there are 2 results. Here they are. I will check it tomorrow and update this post.

*okay, learned a new thing. That belt driven thing on the pic is not for my car, but for gasoline versions.
Screenshot_2023-10-15-18-35-28-318_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-10-15-18-52-45-438_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-15-18-52-45-438_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Have a look at this video, this is literally my car except mine is 66kW.

Fords are known for a groan at low road speeds from the power-steering system as they age. Usually there's no problem, just the groan.
yeah, I defenitely hear some noise at low speed. I hope changing and cleaning will help.

Changed the fluid today. Noise remains. It's an electro hydraulic pump that makes the noise. Sadly I can't remove the pump from its place to clean it. It's too much work for me. I don't have the tools. Anyway, the steering is soft. There are two bearings in the pump. One is lubricated by the PS fluid itself, the other is not. I wonder if there is a filter or something in it, it would be good the clean it, but I can't see anything in the reservoir just the pump mechanism and dirt on it.

I found a video which describes my PS noise the best, but I can't paste the link. It's name on youtube is:

"2016 Nissan Pathfinder loud and noisy electric power steering"

Back