which oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Chevrolet 01' 2500 HD pickup, a 6.0 motor, It has 70,000 miles on it. I just bought the truck. Was thinking of using mobile 1 and a wix filter. Will the synthetics clean too much and cause problems? I have heard that the synthetics can worsen the gaskets...any truth?

What are your recommendations on oil and filter for the motor and miles?

Thanks for the replies.

Jim

The problem with synthetics is actually the fault of the previous oil...why, you ask?

Well, if a PCEO mineral oil was previously used, and did not protect properly, the seals can now be basically encased in varnish, thus causing them to dry out and no longer perform their one function in life. Now, when you switch to a synthetic oil that cleans away the old varnish, the seals are now being asked to function properly, but no longer can.

Anyways, if you've sticked to half-way decent drain intervals with that truck of yours, you'll have no problems switching over to a synthetic.

In regards to an oil choice, at least when talking about this particular engine, I'm a big fan of running a thicker than O.E. recommended viscosity. Several people have tried M1 15w-50 in these style engines and have been very, very impressed. Gives great protection, but also makes the engine much quieter and smoother. Don't be put off by the viscosity printed on the label...give it a try.

Wix filter will be absolutely fine unless you're doing a lot of heavy pulling or something (read - high rpm) whereas you'd want a high-flow filter such as a K&N.

[ April 28, 2004, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

I live in north okc. I have been around shawnee it is a nice town.

The truck was purchased a mo ago, it was a lease vehicle, so my guess the oil was changed at the dealership every 3000 miles?

What about the M1 truck and suv oil? I will sometime haul a horse trailer or boat.

quote:

Originally posted by 1BADHD:

The truck was purchased a mo ago, it was a lease vehicle, so my guess the oil was changed at the dealership every 3000 miles?

Don't count on it...have you popped the 710 cap off and taken a look? Is it clean or is there a buildup?

M1 T/S would also be a very good choice if it is available to you.

Wix filter will be fine for the horses and boat. I was talking about something like pulling a good size 5'er cross-country.

[ April 28, 2004, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back