Which Oil should I go with?

Hello everyone! This is my first post.
I wanted some advice on oil and which one I should go with.

I have been using Motul Xcess 8100 (5w-40) , but am thinking about using pennzoil Platinum (0w-40). My car is a 2002 Porsche Boxster and has 125,000 miles and I live in NC.

Partially want to switch for the cost and easy of obtaining (available at Walmart). Which weight is better for my car with this many miles? is Pennzoil better?
I want to change my oil every 3000-4000 miles, but want to make sure I put good stuff in there. I do have the IMS upgrade.

Thank you!

Can't you use mobil 1 0w-40? That comes in 5qt jugs @ walmart

A40 approval

I have been using Motul Xcess 8100 (5w-40) , but am thinking about using pennzoil Platinum (0w-40). My car is a 2002 Porsche Boxster and has 125,000 miles and I live in NC.

Partially want to switch for the cost and easy of obtaining (available at Walmart). Which weight is better for my car with this many miles? is Pennzoil better?
I want to change my oil every 3000-4000 miles, but want to make sure I put good stuff in there. I do have the IMS upgrade.

Thank you!
Take into consideration that Motul recently change formula. Now X-Cess and X-Clean are called Gen2. They have really good HTHS.
That being said I would go for Mobil1 0W40 FS or Castrol Edge 0W40 available in Wal mart, or Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 available on sale with filter for $33 at Advance Auto Parts.

And as is always the case in these discussions, grade (“weight”) is nearly irrelevant. It’s completely irrelevant there in North Carolina, the approval is what matters.

Another vote for Mobil1 0W40 FS. Porsche A40 approved. Always available at Wal-Mart for good price, and is one stout oil, going from thousands of UOA (Used Oil Analysis) results posted on this website.

Mobil euro formula.
1. It is not as good as 0W40 FS.
and
2. WHere did you find it? That oil popped out some two years ago, and yet there is nowhere to be found.

1. It is not as good as 0W40 FS.
and
2. WHere did you find it? That oil popped out some two years ago, and yet there is nowhere to be found.
I’ve seen it available at local auto part stores and Walmart.. if you’re going to be using the car in -32 temps than go with a 0w40 otherwise 5w40 is fine.

I’ve seen it available at local auto part stores and Walmart.. if you’re going to be using the car in -32 temps than go with a 0w40 otherwise 5w40 is fine.
You are the first person on this site who saw Mobil Super Synthetic anywhere in the stores.
But, there are much better options. Why would anyone use Mobil SS 5W40 when 0W40 is readily available and much better product in every aspect?

Thank you!

Mobil 1 0w40, easy to find at any Walmart and inexpensive. I would use a Mann filter

MB229.5 does not indicate minimum TBN. It indicates minimum and maximum of certain "ingredients."
Isn't it based on ACEA A3/B4 (or is it A3/B3?), that requires a TBN of 10 minimum?

(since the Mobil in question has a TBN of 8, I guess the answer is no, but I'm still surprised)

Edit : A3/B3 has a minimum TBN of 8, A3/B4 a minimum of 10, apparently.

Last edited:
Using the pennzoil now. The 5w40 euro has MB 229.5, Porsche A40 and BMW LL01 approvals. Can't go wrong with that. M1 0w40 is also a fantastic choice as is Castrol. Pick your poison, I'd still go with a MANN fleece filter regardless of what oil you use.

Isn't it based on ACEA A3/B4 (or is it A3/B3?), that requires a TBN of 10 minimum?

(since the Mobil in question has a TBN of 8, I guess the answer is no, but I'm still surprised)

Edit : A3/B3 has a minimum TBN of 8, A3/B4 a minimum of 10, apparently.
A is gas, B is diesel (old) spec. Usually these oils are A3/B3 B4.
ACEA is not approval, it is specification that is not mandatory for these manufacturers, but it is starting point. These specifications have limits on things like phosphorous, ZDDP, sulfated ash, Noack, HTHS etc.

As several here have already posted: Mobil 1 0W-40 FS. I've been using it for years in my Boxster after having researched here and other sources beforehand. For what it's worth I've driven it pretty hard at times, once down (from PA) to the Tail of the Dragon, and once on a track. Several other people I know also use it in their Porsches.

Back