5.0L Lamborghini Gallardo oil comsumption Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check the pcv system. Consider a piston soak if the rings are carboned. Kano Labs Kreen works very good on carbon, even an idle flush with it might help. For valve seals try Mobil 1 high mileage 10w 40. Nice car, good luck.

Originally Posted By: EricWalls
I'm strongly considering adding 1-quart lucas oil stabilizer to the car with my next oil change.

LUCAS: JUST SAY NO!

I'm running Redline 10w60 in both of my V10's. One is a high revving NA motor, the other is lower revving, but a lot more power, with Forced Induction. No noticeable oil burning.

I wouldn't recommend the Redline Nitro 70 mentioned. That is used in the vehicles I consult on. Not a good choice for a street car, even one sans cats.

Originally Posted By: robertcope
Time to hit the track and give that motor a good workout.

I agree.
First thing I'd do is warm it up gently, then open it up for some extended high speed runs.
These cars were not built to sit and idle in traffic or "grannied" for extended periods.
Many underestimate the value of a vigorous mechanical workout.
19.gif

Mobil Oz recommend 0W40 M1, or 10W40 Super X2.

So the 10W40 HM recommended a few posts ago is sound IMO.

I'd possibly try some AutoRx in it...I didn't have much success with varnish, but have read some happy people on rubbers/seals, and potentially rings.

Very nice sounding engine. You can tell she just wants to go fast.

What does the manual recommend oil wise?

Originally Posted By: deven
How much does a 2004 Lambo cost in 2018?
Looking at CarGurus, all of them are still north of 80K.

There's an 05 Gallardo in the Auto Trader here with only 10,000 miles on it for $99,000 CDN (about $74k US) Most of the others are priced in the $110 to $120k CDN range though. You won't find many exotics priced in this range, and Gallardos are fun as heck to drive! (I drove one about 5 years ago)

If that is you in the video then you look like you are tickled to death to get this car. Regardless of oil consumption it's still a dream car to own.

People used to say that the VW 2.5 liter I-5 was just half of this V-10 engine. I don't know what DNA they would share but I bet you would see some improvement by using Mobil-1 10W-40 HM oil. It carries ACEA A3/B4 approvals and has many glowing reviews.

I think that car is gorgeous!

Originally Posted By: EricWalls
I'll try an throw up some pic's of the car if I can figure that out. The early model 5 liter Gallardo's are Horribly bad for oil consumption issue's. Lamborghini themselves even state that on 2004-2008 Gallardo's 1 Liter of oil per 1,000 miles driven is an "acceptable" amount. That is unbelievable to me.

I'm strongly considering adding 1-quart lucas oil stabilizer to the car with my next oil change. Any reason's not to? The prior owner had filled the car with Royal Purple (Soo bad) 5w-30 for winter driving in the state of Maine, I emptied that Royal Purple as soon as possible.

Really? Now this is sounding silly.

I have always heard straight piping without proper tuning can lead to premature engine failure. Knew a guy that did it to his Chevy Truck and around 25,000 miles engine was shot. Don't understand why but I know others have said the same.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

I wouldn't recommend the Redline Nitro 70 mentioned.

There are also 70wt motorcycle oils that may be more appropriate.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: robertcope
Time to hit the track and give that motor a good workout.

I agree.
First thing I'd do is warm it up gently, then open it up for some extended high speed runs.
These cars were not built to sit and idle in traffic or "grannied" for extended periods.
Many underestimate the value of a vigorous mechanical workout.
19.gif

Anecdotal evidence has repeatedly shown us that high-strung motors are actually more predictable (dare I say reliable?) if they're run hard, almost as if the engineers knew that they'd spend a lot of time being driven that way, and engineered things as such.

Perhaps run Castrol "TWS" 10w-60? It's the product BMW used to help alleviate their oil consumption issues and it is generally an excellent oil.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Perhaps run Castrol "TWS" 10w-60? It's the product BMW used to help alleviate their oil consumption issues and it is generally an excellent oil.

It's been relabeled as Castrol Edge 10w60. Not available in most retail locations.

You could use the new BMW TwinPower 10w60 oil, which is basically just relabeled Shell/Pennzoil. Any dealer parts counter keeps it in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back