What oil should I run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since there hasn't been a post in this forum in a while, I thought I'd pose a fun question...

I've got a 2003 Jetta GLI (24v VR6) that is approaching 100K. I try track (HPDE) it two days out of the month (8x 20-minutes sessions). Except for the first few thousand miles, it has been run on AMSOIL AFL oil. When it is on the track, it is run pretty hard, lots of time in the 5-7 RPM range. Sooooo, the question is, is this oil reasonable for the task or should I consider something else?

The "something else"'s I've been considering: M1 0w-40, RL 5w-40, Motul 8100 0w-30, Motul 300V 5w-40, an well, maybe that is the short list.

Probably I'll just stick with the AFL until the engine blows or gets replaced or rebuilt some day, but I'm curious what your thoughts are.

robert

Motul 8100 X-Lite 0w-30 is probably the best balance of everything. Not too thick, not too thin, hugely robust (based on 300V), and still able to run fairly long drains. Plus, it has a good list of OEM approvals. Definitely my top pick.

Motul 300V, Amsoil AFL, and Red Line 5w-40 are probably all tied, IMO. 300V is probably the best protection but the shortest drain intervals; Amsoil will run the longest drain intervals but AFAIK was designed mostly for street engines; Red Line will be somewhere in the middle. 300V has the additional benefit of being race-proven by high-end teams, but it also costs a lot more.

Mobil 1 0w-40 is probably the best bang-for-the-buck. I wouldn't feel bad running it.

d00df00d, that pretty much sums up my line of thinking. I did forget to mention AMSOIL SSO. It seems like more of a long drain oil than a "racing oil", OTOH, it seems like it is high quality with lots of addpack... and I'm running it in my Toyota already. Not sure how well it work work in the wife's 2008 Rabbit 2.5, but I'm betting it would be okay. Would be nice to stock only a single oil! OTOH, Motul x-Lite 0w-30 also fills that nitch, and is even on the VW list.

robert

My guess is that SSO will be fine in the Rabbit.

I also get the feeling SSO is more about long drains than taking abuse. I think it's probably a better oil than X-Lite for most passenger cars for that reason.

Stocking a single oil is definitely convenient, though. My brother is running X-Lite 0w-30 in his car and I'm thinking of switching to it for the same reason.

Plus, IMO, it's hard to put a price on a bona fide OEM certification.

One thing to consider is HT/HS. The basic VW oil spec for these engines is 502.00, which requires the HT/HS to be at least 3.5. I think SSO is lower than that.

Good point, Pete. I had thought about that aspect a week or two ago, but it then slipped my mind :)

robert

In all honesty, I don't know whether the HT/HS really matters though. I mean, VAG seems to be slapping this spec on practically everything that breathes, but whether it actually requires it or not, who knows...

I guess it can't hurt though, especially if you track the car.

I suspect it's just additional insurance against cheap engine oils. I have no way to know either way, though...

Try to run a ester based oil 8100 or Redline, as the VR6 is famous for high oil temps. Also these oils will help keep your timing chains in good condition, that is where the 3.5< HTHS comes in.

Also the 24V motors are seeing some guide failures.

Redline or Motul 5W-40. If I was running a VW engine hard, I wouldn't use anything less tha a 40-weight. A 50-weight wouldn't be out of place, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back