High quality oil for a 2003 Jetta IV GLI VR6 24V?

I'm posting this question on behalf of my brother who just bought himself a mint low mileage VW Jetta IV GLI with a VR6 24V engine and 6-Speed Transmission. This is a guy who likes to pamper and put nothing but the best in his cars so he wanted to know what would be a good quality synthetic oil to run in this engine all year round? We live in eastern Canada so its hot summers and cold winters. -Castrol Syntec 5w-40 -Lucas 5w-40 -Motul 8100 X-CESS 5W40 -Amsoil European 5w-40 -Total Quartz 9000 5w-40 What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Mr_Accord

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Add M1 0w-40 and PU 5w-40 to your list. But the ones you mentioned will work, too.
I would definitely add those oils, but they aren't available at any of the big box stores or autoparts stores in my area, and if they are I have never seen them on the shelf's. I have only seen M1, PU, and PP in 10w or 5w-30. The oils I listed above are pretty much the only European 5w-40's that are regularly available to me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr_Accord
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Add M1 0w-40 and PU 5w-40 to your list. But the ones you mentioned will work, too.
I would definitely add those oils, but they aren't available at any of the big box stores or autoparts stores in my area, and if they are I have never seen them on the shelf's.
Do you have Canadian Tire near you? IIRC, they carry M1 0w-40. Maybe some other Canadian (OVERKILL?) can confirm? It's a very popular oil.

Mr_Accord

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
Don't forget GC. Does vr6 call for 40 weight?
yes. Vw calls for 5w-40 Actually add Royal Purple to that list as well

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Might consider lubromoly 40w oils, german oil for a german car!
LiquiMoly (LubroMoly) is not the most popular german oil inside Germany. Castrol/BP has about 50% PCMO market share incl. Factory fill business I would reccomend 5W-30 oil with VW 504/507 formal approval. It is very robust technology. HTHS more than 3,5 - similar as 5W-40, typically 40-45% of PAO inside. Low Noack - 6-8%.

Last edited:

Mr_Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted By: avss1
Originally Posted By: spasm3
LiquiMoly (LubroMoly) is not the most popular german oil inside Germany. Castrol/BP has about 50% PCMO market share incl. Factory fill business I would reccomend 5W-30 oil with VW 504/507 formal approval. It is very robust technology. HTHS more than 3,5 - similar as 5W-40, typically 40-45% of PAO inside. Low Noack - 6-8%.
I have been looking around Vw forums and it appears to be a decent oil, but from what I have read it used to be a Group IV PAO oil, but after a few years being imported into NA they cut it down to a group III like Castrol but still call it a Full synthetic (Which is illegal in Europe so they change the name when it comes here) Has any one tried another boutique oil called Pentosynth?

Last edited:

JAG

I would not use any mid or low SAPS oil which includes Amsoil 5W-40 and VW 504/507 and MB 229.31 and 229.51 oils. Their detergency is too compromised and there is no reason to accept that in that engine. I also would not use Lucas (irreputable brand, in my opinion). Castrol Syntec 5W-40 has nothing going for it compared to oils that meet VW 502 AND MB 229.5, such as M1 0W-40 and Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40. Those two as well as the Motul and Total oils you mentioned are great choices.

Mobil 1 0W-40 will work well for you and is widely available. I ran AMSOIL 5W-40 in my 2003 GLI for the first 100K miles at 10K mile intervals. At 110K miles I pulled the rod caps to check the bearings and they looked perfect. And for many of those miles, I was taking the car to the track at least once a month...! robert

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mongo161
Valvoline SynPower 5w-40, European Blend, you could also add to your list of high quality base stock oils.
This is again a mid-SAPs oil. There are better choices out there with more robust additive packs for the same money. The only time I'd consider SynPower 5w-40 in the US is if I owned a modern diesel engine.