Which oil is considered to be less consumed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YTK

Hi, I am not in the US but I am trying to understand by others experience which is a oil that is considered to be less consumed by the engine.
I have a 96 toyota 2.4L diesel non turbo with 290000 miles.
When I used unknown cheap brands oil consumption was about 2 quarts for every 6000 miles. When I moved to use Castrol tection extra oil consumption increased to 3 quarts. Perhaps because the higher detergent content that removed some deposits in the rings area?

My options for branded oils 15W40 are:

Castrol tection global CI-4 PDS

Castrol tection extra CJ-4- pds

Valvoline all fleet plus CJ-4 - pds

Liqui moly Touring high tech CH-4 - pds

Any comments?

Thanks!

YTK

Maxlife or equivalent should be consumed less than a non HM oil. Going up or down with viscosity could also reduce consumption depending on where its going..

See above also, I would go back to the unknown cheap oils. I'm a thick oil guy, with a caveat that thin oil is better for gunked up rings. Once, de-gunked I would go to 10w30. Oil users generally do better on thicker oils if the bore /rings is wearing out.

Thanks for that!, all the oils mentioned are 15W40 isn't that thicker than 10W30?

My factory rebuilt 12.7L Series 60 at over 500,000 miles on the reman doesn't consume any more oil using 10w30 than it did using 15w40 for the first 400,000 miles. UOA's look as good also. Made the change after a lot of prodding by my oil rep to give it a try.

iv swapped to a thinner oil from a different brand and noticed less consumption. so i dont thing oil thickness effects consumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back