2016 Volvo XC90 is consuming oil

Hey all,

My wife drives a 2016 Volvo XC90 with 75K miles on the odometer. It has been dealer serviced with 10K OCI using 5W-30 (Castrol as I have been told, I have never confirmed).

Many XC90 owners cite oil consumption after about ~65K. Sure enough, we're seeing ours consume about 3/5 of a quart in 5K. Driving habits have run the gamut over the years: 20K a year in highway commuting, to under 5K with mostly short trips.

The vehicle is really fantastic and looks brand new. We don't want to get rid of it unless it makes sense to. I have a feeling I'll be adding about a quart between changes for as long as we have this car.

Is there anything y'all would recommend to mitigate the consumption? Are those oil treatments all snake oil?

I'm considering doing the next oil change myself with Liqui Moly 5W-30 to see if that is any better than the dealer fill.

Originally Posted by DrivinWest
Hey all,

My wife drives a 2016 Volvo XC90 with 75K miles on the odometer. It has been dealer serviced with 10K OCI using 5W-30 (Castrol as I have been told, I have never confirmed).

Many XC90 owners cite oil consumption after about ~65K. Sure enough, we're seeing ours consume about 3/5 of a quart in 5K. Driving habits have run the gamut over the years: 20K a year in highway commuting, to under 5K with mostly short trips.

The vehicle is really fantastic and looks brand new. We don't want to get rid of it unless it makes sense to. I have a feeling I'll be adding about a quart between changes for as long as we have this car.

Is there anything y'all would recommend to mitigate the consumption? Are those oil treatments all snake oil?

I'm considering doing the next oil change myself with Liqui Moly 5W-30 to see if that is any better than the dealer fill.

That range of odometer miles is why they produce HM oils (75k). It's the same odometer range that my Colorado, S10, Caravan, Pontiac Grand Am and Pontiac 6000 started consumption. The little bit that you are losing is not something to be alarmed at. You can treat it in numerous ways.
Tear into the engine
Move up in viscosity
Buy HM oils
Buy engine oil additives / supplements
Change more often
etc.....etc...etc.

When all of my vehicles first started using a little oil, I got a little ticked-off too. It happens... part of normal engine wear progression.

My daughter's Volvo (the 2002 V70 T5) uses less than half a quart in a 7,500 mile OCI.

That car is short tripped, then driven in the mountains, so, it leads a hard life. It has over 200,000 miles on it.

But uses almost no oil.

Because I cleaned out the PCV system.

Last edited:
As Astro stated, start with PCV.

I'd also cut back on the 10k OCI, especially with Castrol.

Has anyone else been able to pinpoint the cause of the oil consumption in these engines? Interesting that it occurs after 65k. Makes me think it is PCV related, or the rings are gunked up.

You could always use Red Line for a few OCI's and see if it helps clean anything up a bit.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

When all of my vehicles first started using a little oil, I got a little ticked-off too. It happens... part of normal engine wear progression.

Depends on the vehicles I suppose.
Neither of my relics below use or drip any fluids.
If they did, i wouldn't own them anymore.

Originally Posted by buster
As Astro stated, start with PCV.

I'd also cut back on the 10k OCI, especially with Castrol.
Has anyone else been able to pinpoint the cause of the oil consumption in these engines? Interesting that it occurs after 65k.

I'd be willing to bet that it's an over-stressed engine, with OCI's that are too long (despite what the manufacturer states).

Reminds me of my dad's old Volvo's from the late 70s that were avail. with SU carbs on the base models for the Canadian market.
Thanks to the massive fuel dilution caused by the SU's being out of tune, as well as the start of PCV's meant those engines didn't last a fraction of the time their FI predecessors did.
Of course, it didn't help that he'd constantly have to rev it out to get any power out of them.
After about 160kms (100k miles) those engines consumed 10w30 like it was free.

Hopefully it's just the PCV system.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Are Volvo's made in China now?

Some new models are like S90 but not sure about its wagon version.

Some cars use oil, some don't. About half a quart in 5k isn't a big deal at all. But, as others have said, it might be as simple as PCV or something a little leaky, or...? So, you could address it, or just check your oil every couple weeks and add as needed until it gets worse...or it may never get worse 🤷â€â™‚ï¸

Last edited:
1 quart in 10k is much better than average, I wouldnt worry about it. Maybe step up to a high mileage if it bothers you.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. As suggested, I took a look at the PCV system. The PCV valve had a little bit of crud on it, but not much. The check valve works as designed. I cleaned it and put it back together.

Volvo recommends either 0W30 or 5W30 per the manual. It also states: "Volvo oil VCC RBS0-2AE/SAE 0W20 is recommended for extreme driving conditions."

I assume "extreme" in this case means extreme cold. Any reason to try 0W20? My thought is that will only exacerbate the problems.

I'm going to change the oil myself before the gauge reads low. Any suggestions on what to try?

Thanks again!

I have a 2006 XC90 with the 5-cylinder turbo , nothing but synthetic oil in it, at this point is Pennzoil Platinum 530 ,it was mobile one in the earlier days car, right now it's just showing 71000 miles so is a short trip yes, but I go by time not miles, oil just changed every 6 months. Car does not consume any oil and I do the changes oil and filter myself, sixquarts 530 Pennzoil Platinum and the PVC system has never been checked changed whatever I feel it synthetic oil compared to conventional oil is the reason that I'm not having any issues with oil consumption
TOMB
Convert

I have a 2006 XC90 with the 5-cylinder turbo , nothing but synthetic oil in it, at this point is Pennzoil Platinum 530 ,it was mobile one in the earlier days car, right now it's just showing 71000 miles so is a short trip yes, but I go by time not miles, oil just changed every 6 months. Car does not consume any oil and I do the changes oil and filter myself, sixquarts 530 Pennzoil Platinum and the PVC system has never been checked changed whatever I feel it synthetic oil compared to conventional oil is the reason that I'm not having any issues with oil consumption
TOMB
Convert

There is an issue with the rings in the 2016 and earlier 2.0L engines. If I remember correctly it was fixed late ‘16 or early ‘17. I think there was even a campaign to fix some of them a while back.

As long as it meets their spec run it. I believe the dealer uses castrol professional if I remember correctly when I looked in my buddies book.

Originally Posted by K20FA5
There is an issue with the rings in the 2016 and earlier 2.0L engines. If I remember correctly it was fixed late ‘16 or early ‘17. I think there was even a campaign to fix some of them a while back.

This.

How did we all survive when cars all used a quart every 3,000 mi.

If the rings are stuck something like Valvoline Premium Blue Restore 10W-30 from the local Cummins Dealer might help.

As an experiment you might try a 15W-40 HDEO. If the consumption improves it's likely valve seals and other than running 15W-40 Summer and 5W-40 Winter I can't think of anything that will help.

Back