2016 Volvo XC90 is consuming oil

I would cut the OCIs to 5k miles, use higher cSt 100c viscosity, and check dipstick weekly or biweekly.

Update: I’ve consumed about 1.8 quarts in the last 6000 miles. This is B.S.
I get your frustration, but that is, quite honestly, not bad consumption. Most manufacturers won’t consider doing a warranty repair until you get to 1qt/1,000 miles...

More than three times your consumption rate.

I'm telling you BG EPR.......will clean those ring packs out.....dump in some cheap ST 5w-30 and can. Let it idle for 15-30mins...drain. Bob's your uncle....or website.
We had an audi that drank 1 liter every 1000 kms....yup kms.
It really helped reduce the oil through the rings. Those audi rings were also a known issue in their 2.0s for 2009.
Too bad it was a wonderful car otherwise.

I'm telling you BG EPR...
I’ve decided to give this a shot after reading a LOT about this stuff. Thanks for the recommendation.

My plan is to use the BG EPR, then drain and replace the oil with Castrol EDGE High Mileage, or something else that y’all recommend.

Like a few others have said, I’d change the oil at 5,000 miles from here on out.

I’m finding that most newer cars/trucks/suvs with direct injection engines use oil between changes. Some more than others. I see Audi’s and BMWs come in for 7,000 mile oil changes and they’re low. I see (2014-2018) Chevy Silverados come in for 7,000 mile oil changes and most of them don’t even have anything registering on the dipstick. I see it in Honda’s too.

I think oil consumption is pretty common nowadays across the board. Of course some will say “mine never uses a drop” and maybe for some that is true, but I think using a quart over 5,000-7,000 miles is pretty “normal” now. I also think it’s pretty normal to have it kind of go through phases, based on time of year/weather temp, driving conditions/changes in commutes, changes in oil brand, etc.

It’s official. I’ve run BG EPR in the engine for ~20 minutes and drained the oil. I know oil color doesn’t mean much, but boy was that oil black. I spilled a little on the white and gray epoxy floors and it was still pitch black. Maybe it doesn’t mean anything, but pouring in fresh, golden oil sure felt good.

Speaking of which, I decided to use Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30 based on its (supposedly) high ester content. It’s A5/B5 so it meets the original 2016 specs, if not the current. I’ll drive it 500 miles home, monitor any consumption, and will probably do another change shortly thereafter.

Thanks to all for the advice. I’ll report back with my results.

How did BG EPR end up working for you? Is your oil consumption gone or greatly diminished? I'm in a similar situation to you and am wondering if I should do the EPR flush.

Like a few others have said, I’d change the oil at 5,000 miles from here on out.

I’m finding that most newer cars/trucks/suvs with direct injection engines use oil between changes. Some more than others. I see Audi’s and BMWs come in for 7,000 mile oil changes and they’re low. I see (2014-2018) Chevy Silverados come in for 7,000 mile oil changes and most of them don’t even have anything registering on the dipstick. I see it in Honda’s too.

I think oil consumption is pretty common nowadays across the board. Of course some will say “mine never uses a drop” and maybe for some that is true, but I think using a quart over 5,000-7,000 miles is pretty “normal” now. I also think it’s pretty normal to have it kind of go through phases, based on time of year/weather temp, driving conditions/changes in commutes, changes in oil brand, etc.

My 3.5 Ecoboost never moves on the stick. I think Ford has it perfectly calibrated to add fuel at the same rate it consumes oil. ;)

How did we all survive when cars all used a quart every 3,000 mi.
I noticed in the manual for my '20 Blazer they recommend checking oil every fuel fill or 400 miles. Which is good advice because the similar 3.6 in my Cadillac uses a quart per thousand miles

An update: as stated above, I used BG EPR, changed to Mobil 1 High Mileage, and drove about 3K miles. It seems that the oil was consumed at a lower rate, but these things are really hard to measure accurately given variability in the digital dipstick readings.

I just had the dealer do the 80K service, I ran another can of BG EPR through the engine beforehand. I plan to change the oil and filter in 5K myself.

The experiment continues.

An update: as stated above, I used BG EPR, changed to Mobil 1 High Mileage, and drove about 3K miles. It seems that the oil was consumed at a lower rate, but these things are really hard to measure accurately given variability in the digital dipstick readings. ...
I plan to change the oil and filter in 5K myself.

The experiment continues.
I do not know the service interval on MHI volvo turbos, but the turbo seals/ bearings may be worn. But if your ring cleaning treatment produces results, then the turbo may be, in fact still serviceable.

Is it as quiet as new ?

Good thing, the turbos are not too pricey.

Volvo Turbo

New cars are though

- Ken

Ooh, good call. Is that generally a good idea or is there’s something specific to these engines?
I think it's generally a good idea. As I understand it, it's basically a catch can. I did it on our '99 S70 the second time I had the timing belt done, at the mechanic's suggestion. He said it was a mess, but we were well over 200k by then of course.

Hey all,

My wife drives a 2016 Volvo XC90 with 75K miles on the odometer. It has been dealer serviced with 10K OCI using 5W-30 (Castrol as I have been told, I have never confirmed).

Many XC90 owners cite oil consumption after about ~65K. Sure enough, we're seeing ours consume about 3/5 of a quart in 5K. Driving habits have run the gamut over the years: 20K a year in highway commuting, to under 5K with mostly short trips.

The vehicle is really fantastic and looks brand new. We don't want to get rid of it unless it makes sense to. I have a feeling I'll be adding about a quart between changes for as long as we have this car.

Is there anything y'all would recommend to mitigate the consumption? Are those oil treatments all snake oil?

I'm considering doing the next oil change myself with Liqui Moly 5W-30 to see if that is any better than the dealer fill.
3/5 of a court in 5k miles lots of guy on here would be thrilled if they were doing that well.

Back