Which oil from the stash '07 Pacifica winter use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a fairly non-scientific poll sort of thing on which oil to use on my '07 Pacifica for winter use. The OCI in this vehicle (5-6k) works out about perfect for seasonal use (winter/summer oil changes). Manufacturer recommends 10w-30 year round, but I've got a lot of xw-20 oils in the stash, which I'd like to use for the winter months in this car. My main concern would be cold weather flow/protection as this vehicle does do a fair amount of short trips. Our weather here does have a week or two that hovers around 0 or low single digits for a low, otherwise it's fairly mild with lots of 20-30 degree lows all winter long.

Here's the oil I have to choose from, all acquired at AZ year-end clearance a couple years ago:

Mobil1 Extended Protection 0w-20
Castrol Edge Extended Protection Titanium 5w-20
Mobil1 AFE 0w-30
Castrol ACEA A3 0w-30 European
Chevron Supreme 5w-20
Valvoline Durablend 5w-20
Philips Shield semi-syn 10w-30

Like mentioned, doesn't have to have a scientific basis (logic should be sound though), personal experience and even brand preference is welcome. This car has the Chrysler 4.0L SOHC V6 which is not known for being terribly hard on oil, it's a derivative of the 3.5L that was used for many many years. OCI should work out to about 5-6k if I change in mid-spring. Any suggestions or opinions welcome.

Heading into colder temps right now I'd use the M1 EP 0w20. In the spring/summer switch to a 30 wt and use up some of that stock.

Either 0w30. No way I'd use a 20 weight in an engine that doesn't allow for it. Save it for your Odyssey.

^^^^^ my thoughts too. run the 20s in cold and 30s in the summer.

Shame to waste EP on a 5K OCI but I guess you got a really good deal on it.

This Chrysler engine is unique in that it was never speced for 5w20 when nearly every other Chrysler engine was during the time. I'm still not sure why. That said, I'm fairly adventurous when it comes to trying new oils-- the amount of xw20 I have dwarfs that of the other grades, my Odyssey alone can't consume it all. So I'm all game tryng a 20 weight in a vehicle that primarily gets driven for short trips to the store and back (my older cars get commuter duty.)

Trying new oils is perfectly fine but a major grade change thing is not wise. Chrysler spec'd a 10w-30 because they wanted a thick 30. My mother-in-laws 2010 Journey specs 10w-30 and I never understood that. But I didn't question it either. MY 1997 Dodge van is spec'd for 10w-30 and was never back spec'd for 5w-30. Must be a good reason, I don't know. But it's your dime and your engine...

That is an rather old engine design (3.5L engine family seeing first use in 1993). I had the same engine in my Town and Country minivan. As stated, this engine always called for 10W30, even though every other engine in Chrysler's lineup used 5W20 or 0W20.

I really think you should stick with 10W30. I would use the Philips 10W30 you have.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Any oil the PentaStar isn't fussy and it's easy on oil.

Did the OP swap a Pentastar engine into his older model car that didn't come with Pentastar engines?

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Originally Posted by StevieC
Any oil the PentaStar isn't fussy and it's easy on oil.

Did the OP swap a Pentastar engine into his older model car that didn't come with Pentastar engines?

Sorry my brain saw Pacifica and immediately though it was the Mini-Van. Missed the '07 part making it the SUV. My bad.

My daughter's 07 Pacifica with 4.0 consumes noticeably more, when anything thinner than 10W30 is used. Oil of choice for it is either Formula Shell or Chevron Supreme.

I decided on the Chevron Supreme 5w-20.. Mostly because I want to do a UOA at the end of the run, and I have a few extra quarts for top-up if needed, so as not to skew the results by adding a different oil. The Mobil1 EP 0w-20 was my second choice, but I only have 6 quarts, and the car takes 5.5qt for oil and filter change- If I needed more the 0.5 qt for top-up, I'd have to add another brand. Will probably save that M1 EP for the Odyssey or Maxima which only takes 4.5qt to fill.

That's the only problem with an oil stash, is sometimes the number of quarts don't work out evenly across oil changes-- meaning often I'm left with 2-3 "orphan" quarts that I can't fill a sump with. Oh well, at $1-2 a quart, I'm not complaining!

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
I decided on the Chevron Supreme 5w-20.. Mostly because I want to do a UOA at the end of the run, and I have a few extra quarts for top-up if needed, so as not to skew the results by adding a different oil. The Mobil1 EP 0w-20 was my second choice, but I only have 6 quarts, and the car takes 5.5qt for oil and filter change- If I needed more the 0.5 qt for top-up, I'd have to add another brand. Will probably save that M1 EP for the Odyssey or Maxima which only takes 4.5qt to fill.

That's the only problem with an oil stash, is sometimes the number of quarts don't work out evenly across oil changes-- meaning often I'm left with 2-3 "orphan" quarts that I can't fill a sump with. Oh well, at $1-2 a quart, I'm not complaining!

Unless your vehicle requires a specific type of oil for things like turbos or direct inject, you can use five different single quart jugs - all different manufacturers and weights and no issues will develop.
Been doing it for 25-30 years. You can even mix conventional with synblend and full synthetic. It's all compatable and no need to shorten OCIs when doing it.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2

I put the left over oil in my garden equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back