Which oil/filter combo would you chose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can get GC plus a STP filter at Autozone for $22.99 or I can get Mobil 1 and a Supertech filter at Wally world for $21.79. If this is going into a '99 Toyota Corolla 1.8L with app. 70k miles, which would you choose? Especially if you were looking a 6-7k OCIs. This car has been run on dino oil up till now and I was just informed that it's been 8k since it's last change
shocked.gif
. This is for a female friend of mine.

Now what if it were a Chevy S10 4.3L with 112k, but had been running Amsoil at 10k OCIs since 92k, which of the above would you chose? This is my truck, and though I've been happy with the Amsoil, it is a little on the expensive side, and I thought I might try one of the above.

[ March 24, 2004, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: simpleguy_68 ]

I would chose the Mobil 1 because of the history this oil has for protection. GC is probably a better oil but time will tell us for sure. UOA's say the GC is as good or better than the Mobil 1 but I am very conservative in selecting oils. I also try to buy products produced in America
patriot.gif

Without a doubt I'd choose the GC combo, but everyone knew I'd say that.
smile.gif

GC is a better oil than M1's 30wt oils for sure.

quote:

Originally posted by simpleguy_68:
I can get GC plus a STP filter at Autozone for $22.99 or I can get Mobil 1 and a Supertech filter at Wally world for $21.79. If this is going into a '99 Toyota Corolla 1.8L with app. 70k miles, which would you choose? Especially if you were looking a 6-7k OCIs. This car has been run on dino oil up till now and I was just informed that it's been 8k since it's last change
shocked.gif
. This is for a female friend of mine.

Now what if it were a Chevy S10 4.3L with 112k, but had been running Amsoil at 10k OCIs since 92k, which of the above would you chose? This is my truck, and though I've been happy with the Amsoil, it is a little on the expensive side, and I thought I might try one of the above.

Im going to run a Motorcraft FL-400S on my tercel on the next change. Its a whopping $.80 more than a Supertech, yet it holds an extra half quart of oil. Should be a good mate instead of those puny 4967 filters.

Oh, and can someone tell me what GC stands for?

GC - German Castrol ie. Castrol Syntec 0w30 and says made in Germany on bottle.

Girl friend? Hmmm, oil changes/social relationships. Knew it was going to happen soon. Recommend the best to show commitment. My wife nags me when I don't fill the gas tank. Says it shows my colors.
gr_stretch.gif

Hmmmm.... would of swore that I saw somewhere that the STP filters were better than the Supertechs. I just finished changing the oil a few minutes ago and we went with the GC/STP combo because the Autozone was closer than the WM.

Maybe next time I'll try the Motorcraft. Are you sure that the FL-400S fits the Toyota, especially the Corolla's 1.8L?

She's actually someone I've dated in the past, but now we're just good friends.

[ March 24, 2004, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: simpleguy_68 ]

quote:

Originally posted by simpleguy_68:

Maybe next time I'll try the Motorcraft. Are you sure that the FL-400S fits the Toyota, especially the Corolla's 1.8L?

All toyota small cars take the same filter. The FL-400S has the same threads (obviously I wouldnt suggest if it didnt) and same 8-11PSI bypass rating as the little 4967 toyota filters. THe only difference besides can size is the gasket. My 3EE 1994 tercel has a wide enough "gasket plate" around the filter nipple so that the wider gasket mates up just fine. I would assume that the corolla would have a bit extra room too, but thats one thing you definitely need to check. I know it aint easy to change filters on that generation corolla, since my parents have an '00. If you can see (literally with your eyes) how the FL-400S mates up when you screw it on, then you can tell if it will work. I doubt you would have a problem, but I dont want to suggest ruining the car either!
Motorcraft on my tercel
http://board.tercelonline.com/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=8552&pid=91241

But like you said, its not your car, I dont want you to mess it up, especially if it was yours. Im still in experimental phase, but it should be fine. You could try the Motorcraft, or just use the 4967, she'd never know the difference.
grin.gif

[ March 25, 2004, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: FL-400S ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back