Which oil do you think is better?

BMW updated their LL-01 approval for added the needs of 2019+ engines and, to my knowledge and research, there are no 0w-XX oils that carry it anymore. Any 0w-XX oils that held that approval until that change, I wouldn't hesitate to use in an older model BMW. As others have mentioned, Castrol 0w-40, Mobil 1 0w-40, QS Euro 5w-40 are all great choices. Castrol and Mobil would be the overall cheapest with the rebates available now. QS Euro is probably the best bang for the buck LL-01 approved oil right now. Some Walmart's have it on clearance, I snagged some 5L jugs over the weekend for as low as $8. So it may not be sticking around for long.

I don't disagree with you, and I'm set on changing out the bearing once the car gets to a certain mileage (currently at 36k, will probably do it once it's around 80-90k if i start driving it more often)

But I choose to not use 10w-60 also because it does not suit my oil change interval (once every 8-12 month)

I really think 10w-60 is overkill for this engine especially for my driving style.

if 40-grade is good enough for superbikes and ferraris, GTRs, i think it's good enough for s85

Trusted mechanic has claimed he had positive experience on customer's M car vanos system when switching to 40-grade oil

No one has ever found anything in the engine that require 60-grade oil (ie, old school Porsche cam lobe clearance )

My wallet loves it.

But since my wallet has no opinion on which euro 40wt oil it prefers, I'm open to yours, thank you.

Most euro 0w40 and 5w40 oils are light, barely in the 40 wt range with an HTHS viscosity of 3.6-3.7 which rivals a 10w30 or even some 5w30. 40 wt is very broad depending on oil composition.

A euro 5w40/0w40 can have a HTHS of 3.6 cP while an HD 5w40 can have an HTHS of 4.3+ cP. A 15w40 HD oil can have an HTHS up to 5.2 cP which matches Castrol Edge TWS 10w60.

Basically I’d be more concerned with the HTHS than the oil weight because it’s more relevant to the discussion on an engine which is prone to bearing failure.

Most euro 0w40 and 5w40 oils are light, barely in the 40 wt range with an HTHS viscosity of 3.6-3.7 which rivals a 10w30 or even some 5w30. 40 wt is very broad depending on oil composition.

A euro 5w40/0w40 can have a HTHS of 3.6 cP while an HD 5w40 can have an HTHS of 4.3+ cP. A 15w40 HD oil can have an HTHS up to 5.2 cP which matches Castrol Edge TWS 10w60.

Basically I’d be more concerned with the HTHS than the oil weight because it’s more relevant to the discussion on an engine which is prone to bearing failure.
So higher HTHS is what you're recommending? and that requires higher grade oil "like" Edge TWS which is what many other people believe is too thick for tight bearing clearance....

do you happen yo know what the base stock for TWS is?

So higher HTHS is what you're recommending? and that requires higher grade oil "like" Edge TWS which is what many other people believe is too thick for tight bearing clearance....

HTHS is the viscosity at the bearings, is more critical than the “actual viscosity” which is influenced by other factors like VI and density.

As I was saying, Redline 5w30 has the same HTHS as a euro 0w40 or 5w40 oil. RLI 15w40 has the same HTHS as Castrol TWS 10w60.

The base oil of TWS 10w60 is irrelevant. You can check the SDS to see what it lists.

Figure out what HTHS you want and then decide which oil will meet the price and performance goals you’re aiming for.

HTHS is the viscosity at the bearings, is more critical than the “actual viscosity” which is influenced by other factors like VI and density.

As I was saying, Redline 5w30 has the same HTHS as a euro 0w40 or 5w40 oil. RLI 15w40 has the same HTHS as Castrol TWS 10w60.

The base oil of TWS 10w60 is irrelevant. You can check the SDS to see what it lists.

Figure out what HTHS you want and then decide which oil will meet the price and performance goals you’re aiming for.
Well, the viscosity is probably zero if it's not flowing there during cold starts.

But mostly... I have no idea what HTHS I want. Because I'm not knowledgeable enough to come up with a preference. Higher than TWS definitely seems counter intuitive

I was asking about the base stock out of curiosity. It's just so mysterious...

Anyways, thank you. Feel free to share your choice of oil if you were in my situation.

Well, the viscosity is probably zero if it's not flowing there during cold starts.

But mostly... I have no idea what HTHS I want. Because I'm not knowledgeable enough to come up with a preference. Higher than TWS definitely seems counter intuitive

I was asking about the base stock out of curiosity. It's just so mysterious...

Anyways, thank you. Feel free to share your choice of oil if you were in my situation.

There is an oil film left on parts after shutdown. It’s not “dry” unless the oil film is removed.

from what I understand, TWS 10w60 was a band-aid due to an engineering failure with this engine. If that’s the case, then I would use a heavier oil than the original specification. If you think 10w60 or HTHS of 5.2 cP is too heavy for your use and ambient temperature than try something in between. Redline HP 5w40 and 0w40 are both heavy 40 wt oils. Another option is Rowe 0w40 which is also a heavy Euro 0w40. These all have an HTHS 4.0+ cP.

Once you choose an oil you can monitor the bearing metals with oil analysis to see if it’s working for you.

Oil film is what keeps parts separated, if there is metal-to-metal contact then wear occurs. It's really not possible to have too high of a MOFT. But of course in this case you're only trying to sweep a much bigger problem under the rug by using a certain oil. On the other hand it's not going to hurt no matter what you consider counter intuitive.

And unless you are starting well below 0F then an oil with a 10W winter rating will pump. It's not about flow it's about pumpability. You're really stuck on misconceptions about oil "flow" and viscosity in this thread, if you're not starting at pretty cold temperatures then there is zero concern about a 10W-60 oil. None.

My engine is the s85 V10 originally speced for 10w-60 (Castrol TWS), which I don't want to use due to tight rod bearing tolerances.

Throughout my 10 years of ownership I've used liqui moly' 10w-60 for the first couple of years, then switched to Mobil1 0w-40 when the bearing issue was know and bmw released a document adding oils with LL-01 (which castrol TWS is NOT) to the approved list of recommended oils

After Mobil 1 removed the LL-01 approval on the bottle I switched to Castrol Euro 0w-40( when they still had ll-01 up until last year), and most recently the edge 5w-40 for it's LL-01.

The car seems the smoothest with the 2 Castrols. oils consumption is also about the same at 1qt per 1000 mile of spirited driving, seems a little less with the edge 5w-40 but that could be due to how I drive now that I'm older

The car is driven less than 1k a year as I have another daily ( that car just gets a rotation of PP, Mobil1, Valvoline AFS or , Castrol edge that I stock up on during rebate season... )

Is there a medical term for the condition where the things you own end up owning you? Yeah, I have that..
Stunning engine. There was a coupe for sale near me at Audi of Stratham with that engine and a 6 speed.
I was tempted - but concerned.
So, I passed on this opportunity. Now I will ne'r hear those glorious v10 sounds.

Stunning engine. There was a coupe for sale near me at Audi of Stratham with that engine and a 6 speed.
I was tempted - but concerned.
So, I passed on this opportunity. Now I will ne'r hear those glorious v10 sounds.
I have the coupe! In SMG

You never know with these cars. My particular one seems no more troublesome than your average bmw but my mileage is low

I love my but I'm biased...

And i only get 12mpg so don't feel too bad

I would say SuperTech is a house brand. Like NAPA brand. Still very good oil. But not quite equal to Mobil 1 for example.
Do you base that on perception or do you have any facts to show that Mobil 1 is somehow superior? I like Mobil 1 EP their 10w30 high mileage and their euro FS formulation And I have used that last one quite alot.
What exactly makes Mobil 1 a tier above?

What about HT/FS in tight clearance regions? I think HT/HS is irrelevant in these area. Unless you use a monograde.

Do you base that on perception or do you have any facts to show that Mobil 1 is somehow superior? I like Mobil 1 EP their 10w30 high mileage and their euro FS formulation And I have used that last one quite alot.
What exactly makes Mobil 1 a tier above?
It uses better base oils? Mobil makes tiers of oils for a reason. They do make less expensive Group III based offerings with a similar approach as Supertech/Amazon Basics, and these are sold at a lower price.

Pick the one that explicitly state LL approval. Other jibberish doesn't count especially as far as warranty and lawyers exist.

Back