Which new car for my sister

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think we need a bit more info on what your sister's preferences are. Otherwise there are hundreds of different types of cars that would work just fine for her.

Personally I don't think I will ever be without a prius. It is the most versatile and reliable car I have ever owned (my last one went 245k before getting in an accident and then selling to someone who is using it as a taxi).

Also the prius does pretty good in the snow for what it is. I had a gen 2 and those are known to just be okay, now I have a gen 3 that are known to do great but I havent had the chance to try it yet.

If not a prius then I would go with just about anything in the Subaru line. I drive my friends 2016 outback all the time and it is a really great car. Including the CVT. This all applies to the other subaru cars as well. I like the crosstrek hybrid a lot.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
I really think we need a bit more info on what your sister's preferences are. Otherwise there are hundreds of different types of cars that would work just fine for her.

Personally I don't think I will ever be without a prius. It is the most versatile and reliable car I have ever owned (my last one went 245k before getting in an accident and then selling to someone who is using it as a taxi).

Also the prius does pretty good in the snow for what it is. I had a gen 2 and those are known to just be okay, now I have a gen 3 that are known to do great but I havent had the chance to try it yet.

If not a prius then I would go with just about anything in the Subaru line. I drive my friends 2016 outback all the time and it is a really great car. Including the CVT. This all applies to the other subaru cars as well. I like the crosstrek hybrid a lot.

While I agree with you....here on BITOG conventional wisdom says CVTs are evil and from the devil.

I'd stay with the Camry 4 cyl & a set of 4 snow tire on separate wheels for the winter. I'll run for the next 23 years just like the '94 did!

Last edited:
My dad is wanting to surprise her.
I'm leaning towards a a Subaru Impreza 2.0I Premium 5 door. The fuel economy is really good despite having AWD.
I don't think todays 2017 Camry is a 94' Camry in terms of 200K+ reliability.

Both of my nephews had Subaru's. One was a 2008 Outback the other 2006 Impreza. They both took them to the dealer for service for oil changes and anything else needed. What surprised me is they both had to have their engines replaced. Not sure why, I don't keep up with them and I don't get along well with my brother-inlaw. Just seems odd that they both had to have engine work. I thought the boxer engine was pretty reliable.

Also the local alignment shop that I went to that was family run for 50yrs and just closed because they retired, said that Subaru is the one vehicle to stay away from. Pain to work on and expensive parts. Now that could be because the closest dealer is 70 miles away.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
Both of my nephews had Subaru's. One was a 2008 Outback the other 2006 Impreza. They both took them to the dealer for service for oil changes and anything else needed. What surprised me is they both had to have their engines replaced. Not sure why, I don't keep up with them and I don't get along well with my brother-inlaw. Just seems odd that they both had to have engine work. I thought the boxer engine was pretty reliable.

Also the local alignment shop that I went to that was family run for 50yrs and just closed because they retired, said that Subaru is the one vehicle to stay away from. Pain to work on and expensive parts. Now that could be because the closest dealer is 70 miles away.

For some reason Subaru has almost a cult following. I never understood it. I like the AWD part and they do it well, but the rest of the package is bleh.

The 4 wheel drive of a Subaru would be nice for getting through snow. She does not need anything as large as a Forester. An Impreza would be a good choice.

You are going to have to school her on the fact that if one tire ever gets damaged to the point that it has to be replaced, she has to replace all 4 at once. Also, be sure to have her rotate the tires, like every oil change.

VW Golf or Jetta. We looked at them before buying a Challenger and they definitely seemed like a high quality car for the money. It would have been our top pick after looking at several other cars.

Impreza, Forester, crosstrek if awd is beneficial. Otherwise id consider a corolla or camry.
Or honda crv, rav4 with awd. Guess it depends what she likes too. Alot to consider...

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
My dad is wanting to surprise her.
I'm leaning towards a a Subaru Impreza 2.0I Premium 5 door. The fuel economy is really good despite having AWD.

I find the fit and finish of the inside of camrys today has definitely not kept up. I still think its very reliable.

PS. I just noticed you said surprise her...ignore my comment about what she would like in previous post..

The subaru 2.0 impreza is a CVT, so im not a fan for that reason, but still a solid pick.

Last edited:
I would go a different route. I think it would have the same surprise effect your dad took her out somewhere and then go to whatever dealership for a test drive. I would hate to buy a car for my daughter and she wasn't comfortable sitting in it. Knowing my daughter, she would hold her tongue instead of telling me my surprise car hurts her butt, back or shoulders.

Surprise !!! It's a 2017 Shelby GT ...
wink.gif

She's single,kids flew the coop. A shiny new bright red 370Z Nismo! Time for her to have some fun!
19.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
She's single,kids flew the coop. A shiny new bright red 370Z Nismo! Time for her to have some fun!
19.gif

For $25k, huh?

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Well, this remains to be seen however, I would take my chances on the Camry!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back