Which is best? Nitto or Hancook hi perf tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 4200 lb. 1994 Chevy Impala SS with RWD. I have two Hancooks on the front and two Nitto's on the rear. Both have been good tires with good wear patterns. Much better than the BF Goodrich tires that were the only choice for a long while. Size is the original 255/50 X 17". When I go for another set of four tires, should I go with Nitto's or the Hancooks? Both are abaout the same price.

Nitto tires, who makes them, are they a known good tire??

Id favour the Hancooks over Nitto...
How about some Kumho tires?

For a street/track tire, the Hankook RS3 is a great choice. For a more track oriented tire that is DOT legal, the Nitto NT01 is a great choice.

Personally, I love the NT01. I go through five or six sets a year on my Miata, maybe more. Great grip, very forgiving at the limits, no need to shave them, and they're usually the least expensive option!

I know a bunch of folks that run the RS3. It doesn't quite have the grip that the NT01 does, but it is cheaper, lasts longer, and and still has a ton of grip. It is an amazing tire for the money.

Either company will be fine, IMHO.

robert

I've done road course track days on Nitto's for many years: NT555 RII's (3 sets), NT05's (1 set), and NT01's (1set). I've liked them all, especially the NT01's. The NT555 RII's and NT01's have a treadwear rating of 100, and can only be expected to last for about 10 track days, but the grip is awesome. The NT05's have a treadwear rating of 200. I ran them on my Camaro for 2 full seasons, and got about 16 track days on them. Not as much grip, but I could drive them HARD, and they wouldn't get greasy.

Another great tire that gives awesome dry grip is the Kumho Ecsta XS. It has a 180 treadwear, and I have outrun many people on 100 treadwear tires with them. If it rains, though, just stay in the pits. They're not good in the wet.

Not knowing anything about your driving style or current specific type of tire, I can highly recommend the newer Nitto Motivo for a general purpose high performance tire. I have not driven them long enough to make an observation about treadlife, but they are a very versatile tire in both dry and wet. It is an ultra high perforance all season tire with a 60K treadwwear warranty. Nitto is a sister company or sunsidiary of Toyo and quite a few of their newer tires are made in Georgia. I have never owned Hancooks and have just driven a few rental cars that have them installed.

Hankook V4 for ultra high performance all-season
Hankook V12 for a max performance summer tire.

They are like the best of the cheap tires. My friend has tried both on his SRT4, he likes the V4 better surprisingly

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Another great tire that gives awesome dry grip is the Kumho Ecsta XS.

I agree with this. I think I prefer the RS3 to the XS, but for me it came down to sizing: they didn't make an RS3 in the size that I needed, so I ran the XS for a number of years before moving to the NT01. The XS is fantastic on track and for daily driving (at least here in Texas). It's not great in the wet, but it won't kill you as long as you're not an idiot.

robert

I am the origial poster. I drive very conservatively generally. Occasionally, on a winding mountain road I like to push it to the limits. But no track days on either a road track or a drag strip. Very infrequently I tow a small utility trailer for lawn mowers,est.

Originally Posted By: robertcope
Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Another great tire that gives awesome dry grip is the Kumho Ecsta XS.

I agree with this. I think I prefer the RS3 to the XS, but for me it came down to sizing: they didn't make an RS3 in the size that I needed, so I ran the XS for a number of years before moving to the NT01. The XS is fantastic on track and for daily driving (at least here in Texas). It's not great in the wet, but it won't kill you as long as you're not an idiot.

robert

I almost bought Kumho XS, my Kumho Ecsta V700 ran out of tread. I got Potenza RE-11 instead.

I am pretty sure the Nitto tire is Japanese and the Hankook and Kumho tires are Korean. I am not at my normal computer ,so I can't do any reaserch.

Originally Posted By: Jim Spahr
I have a 4200 lb. 1994 Chevy Impala SS with RWD. I have two Hancooks on the front and two Nitto's on the rear. Both have been good tires with good wear patterns. Much better than the BF Goodrich tires that were the only choice for a long while. Size is the original 255/50 X 17". When I go for another set of four tires, should I go with Nitto's or the Hancooks? Both are abaout the same price.

Use the Hankook Ventus V12's if you want a summer only tire with EXCELLENT performance. They are also available in extra load considerations for larger vehicle like yours with heavy curb weights.

On my particular application they ride well, have minimal noise on most surfaces, and grip VERY well laterally. They cannot really stand up to high torque at launch as well as I'd like but they were also among the cheapest UHP tires I looked at.

I was actually recommended to them by a BMW forum member who has a big 7 series and loves them. Good tire.

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
Nitto tires, who makes them, are they a known good tire??

From what I can remember, Nitto is an american only subsidiary of Toyo tires. It was established in the late 90s and has its roots in the off road racing world. They make high performance tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back