Tire Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s time to replace the General Altima’s R43’s on my Elantra ( good tire but Loud!). I think I’ve narrowed it down to two choices, with my main goal of quiet and comfortable ride (as can be with 17” wheels).

Michelin Premier A/S

Or—-

Pirelli Cinturato P7.

My dilemma is this:

I’ve run the P7’s before about 5 years ago, nice ride, tolerable noise, decent grip—till it rains, then it’s like running slicks (as the tires wear it got worse) tire life not that great.

The reviews of the Michelin from several places are good dry, excellent wet, quiet for most part, wears quickly, starts out with only 8/32 tread.

Both are pretty close in price.

The last set of Michelin’s were OEM on an ‘02 Elantra, And sounded like a jet engine when going down the road!

The last Pirelli was, as noted, bad slick in the rain as the tire wore.

Most reviews on both are “best tires in the world” kinda stuff.

If you had the choice, which one?

Oh, and alignment is spot on, wear is dead even on the current tires, rotated every 5000 miles in “X” pattern.

The P7 is a high performance summer tire. For an all season tire the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus would be the best option for traction. Big difference. Make sure it says Plus in the model. Also the proper way to cross rotate a fwd car is to have the front tires come straight back and cross the rears to the front.

The Cooper CS5 is another choice to consider.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Neither. Especially not the Michelin.

Honestly, these are your best two choices?

If you want quiet and comfortable, you're doing it wrong.

Look at the Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring. The only tire that I've put a set on three different vehicles. Yes, they're that good. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp...forTred+Touring

OP is also complaining about wet traction.

Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring (Grand Touring All-Season, 205/55R16 91H)
What We Liked: Responsive steering
What We'd Improve: Wet traction
Conclusion: A good choice for drivers wanting to blend responsive handling with good road manners
Latest Test Rank: 3rd
Previous Test Rank: Not previously tested

The Primacy MXM4 also delivered the quietest ride of the group, producing minimal tread noise and only a modest boom when encountering abrupt impacts. The Assurance ComforTred Touring also produced very little tread pattern noise, but did emit a bit more impact noise. The Turanza Serenity generated a little more overall tread noise than the Michelin and Goodyear tires, with the ContiProContact rounding out the group right behind the Bridgestone for overall noise levels.

and

In the wet, the Primacy MXM4 was in a class by itself, thanks to plenty of cornering stability, braking traction and overall control as it lapped the track nearly one second faster than the next best tire. The ContiProContact followed with good overall grip, but a somewhat edgy feel as the limit was reached with less warning than the Michelin. The Assurance ComforTred Touring and Turanza Serenity both displayed less overall traction than the Michelin or Continental tires, feeling rather slippery and easily upset by abrupt inputs of the steering, throttle or application of the brakes.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Neither. Especially not the Michelin.

Honestly, these are your best two choices?

If you want quiet and comfortable, you're doing it wrong.

Look at the Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring. The only tire that I've put a set on three different vehicles. Yes, they're that good. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp...forTred+Touring

Why not the Michelin?

What am I doing wrong?

The comfort tread does not have my size.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The P7 is a high performance summer tire. For an all season tire the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus would be the best option for traction. Big difference. Make sure it says Plus in the model. Also the proper way to cross rotate a fwd car is to have the front tires come straight back and cross the rears to the front.

The Cooper CS5 is another choice to consider.

The P7 plus a/s is what I was looking at.

As for rotations, I have done it the old way per se for many years, started doing the X and tires seem to wear much better. YMMV.

Noise is the coopers main complaint.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
P7.

Don't forget to look at Yokohama.

Yeah, don't count Yokohama out of the list. They have a few excellent models in your tire size.

First I've heard of RT43 being loud. I have not noticed over the sets I've had. I still prefer them.

Originally Posted By: supton
First I've heard of RT43 being loud. I have not noticed over the sets I've had. I still prefer them.

Maybe Toyotas have better noise insulation, so you don't hear the tires as much compared to other cars.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: supton

Maybe Toyotas have better noise insulation, so you don't hear the tires as much compared to other cars.

Camry definitely will compared to like, a corolla, elantra, or civic.

Tire Rack Recommendation: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/dg/TireDe...r=0&price=0

Do you need all-season tires? Does it get cold where you are? Or would summer tires be ok for you? If you don't need all-season tires, then grand touring summer tires will give you the quietest comfortable ride.

Also, you can chuck the 17's in favor of the base model's 15-inch wheels (tire size 195/65-15) or the mid-level 16-inch wheels (tire size 205/55-16)

I HATE these big wheels and no-profile tires that Hyundai makes you buy in order to get the panoramic sunroof on the GT
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

If I had one of these cars, the first thing I'd do is swap in the smaller wheels, and also get an additional 15/16 wheel for a full-size spare
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
It’s time to replace the General Altima’s R43’s on my Elantra ( good tire but Loud!). I think I’ve narrowed it down to two choices, with my main goal of quiet and comfortable ride (as can be with 17” wheels).

WOW! I was planning on going to the General Altima’s R43 on my wife's 2014 Elantra Limited with the 17" low profile tires. And noise and comfort is my biggest concern. First I've heard of them being loud.

I don't need a tire for snow or winter as if it snows here I'm not going out of the house.

So this thread is very interesting to me. I probably won't need tire for like 6 months but am studying my options now. I was going with the General Altima’s R43 till I saw this.

I put cooper cs5 ultra touring tires on my car and the wet weather grip is amazing. They are very quiet too.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Do you need all-season tires? Does it get cold where you are? Or would summer tires be ok for you? If you don't need all-season tires, then grand touring summer tires will give you the quietest comfortable ride.

Also, you can chuck the 17's in favor of the base model's 15-inch wheels (tire size 195/65-15) or the mid-level 16-inch wheels (tire size 205/55-16)

I HATE these big wheels and no-profile tires that Hyundai makes you buy in order to get the panoramic sunroof on the GT
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

If I had one of these cars, the first thing I'd do is swap in the smaller wheels, and also get an additional 15/16 wheel for a full-size spare
smile.gif

We have the occasional Ice and Snow in the winter, temps mostly in the 30's during winter.Drops to 20's at night. I don't care for them either. Hence my quest for the best ride and noise with this size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back