Replacement for the Pirelli Scorpion Verde's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Appears the time for replacement is fast approaching. I've got a set of these Pirellis in size 255/60VR17 106V on my Envoy (255/60R17 export vs. 245/65R17 USDM) and they're starting to dry crack in the threads. I've owned countless Pirelli tires in the past - P6 Four Seasons, P4 Four Seasons, Scorpion STR, Scorpion ATR and Scorpion Verde - all of them seem to have the same dry crack problem, regardless of country of origin. The current tires I have are made in the United Kingdom.

For reference, here is what I'm talking about. This is a shot of the Scorpion STR I had on the Mitsubishi (265/70R16 112H) and the cracks ultimately end up with a piece of rubber being torn off:

mw6zaa.jpg

This particular tire was in service for 3 years (2011 - 2014) and had ~53,000 km (33,125 mi) on it. I've had a few sets of Scoption STR's - made in Brazil and made in Romania - the problem does not appear to be associated with COO. I will say, performance wise, I've never had any complaints about any of the Pirelli's I've owned and they've been every bit as good as claimed and then some - except for the P6 Four Seasons, which sucked in wet conditions. What you see above is my only problem. For reference, my tires are rotated every 3,000 miles (back to front one interval and cross the next) and I avoid directional thread patterns for this very reason. Heat being a major concern, I keep tires no longer than 3 years and only buy tires manufactured in the same year (e.g. I won't buy tires manufactured in 2014 in 2015).

Here's my biggest problem - I'm a very spirited driver and my vehicles are geared up as such; progressive springs, Bilstein shocks/struts, bigger sway bars, braided brake lines, you name it. In most cases, this means I cannot buy the tires I want - unless you're driving a Porsche or a Bentley, most drivers here settle for the cheapest tires money can buy in your average sizes and I have to settle with what's available. If they can't sell it, distributors don't import it. The tire I actually want for this particular application is the Yokohama ADVAN ST V802 (255/60R17 110W), which is not imported in this size. Instead they have the Geolandar H/T-S G051 (255/60R17 106H), which is not what I'm looking for. Not even in the same performance category. My truck is RWD anyway and all-terrain thread patterns are not what I want.

Cooper, unfortunately, doesn't have a tire available in this size - a shame, given they've been my go-to manufacturer for tires of late.

Bridgestone has their Dueler H/P Sport with a 106V rating, which TireRack appears to rate higher than the Yokohama ADVAN ST and the Pirelli Scoprion Zero. Then there's the Michelin Latitude Tour HP, also 106V. These two appear the be the two available options as of now. If anyone has any input on the Bridgestones, or has any other suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks!

The Michelin Latitude Tour HPs on my folks' 2014 MDX are fantastically sticky, but I imagine that this depends highly on the OE application. Michelin's website appears to be down at the moment, but if and when you can connect to it, look up this tire in your size (or just call them) and see if it's an OE fitment. If it is, then it may or may not act like Latitude Tour HPs in other sizes. It could be even stickier...it could be much looser. Hard to tell without being able to sample them yourself.

Likewise, I'd check to see if the Bridgestone is OE in any particular application. If it is, then the same caveat applies...check to see what that is and if you're comfortable with that. If not, then you can probably be assured that it'll be a great tire.

yep those definitely look overheated.

you cant have someone order in a set for you?

ugh.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
If they can't sell it, distributors don't import it.

Interesting I would have thought money talks and some retailer there would special order it and just pass the cost on to you. I presume Tire Rack does not ship overseas, you tried that already? Cost, again, would be high but that is the price for high performance. In the end, someone will ship there (FedEx etc.) try contacting Tire Rack directly and explaining your situation at your location. I worked for Saudi Aramco on a project and the Saudi engineer I worked closely with told me cars generally do not last longer than 3 years there. I assume Kuwait would be the very same in terms of a vehicular hostile environment. I thought I had challenges in my climate (bitter cold) but they don't compare at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back