Which fuel treatment for low mileage use?

As per this thread, my Wife is purchasing a Rover Mini this weekend.

It's going to be a weekend toy and won't be going out in the rain or winter months. Therefore at times it's going to be sat for weeks or months on end.

The majority of our fuel here is E10, you can purchase Super Unleaded which is E5 and there's an Esso garage about 6 miles away that sells E0. There's no information out there on the cars compatibility with Ethanol in any blend.

Regardless, I would like to treat the fuel to minimise any potential issues related to stale fuel/water. In addition, it would be nice to find a product that will help clean/lubricate the pumps and injectors and also provide some cleaning to the combustion chamber.

What would you recommend?

I'm leaning towards purchasing Sta-Bil Storage and running it in every tank regardless of the fuel used.

Stabil is good if it will sit for six months or longer.. I don't think it's needed a just a few months.I have had vehicles with full tanks of gas stored for 6 months without any problems when I have forgotten to add the Stabil in the fall. It takes much longer for 15-20 gallons to go bad versus a pint in your lawn mower.

If you can't get away from 10% Ethanol gas, I would at least treat the fuel with a healthy dose of both Ethanol Shield and Pri-G.

IDK either. I have & use in my stash...all for different apps & usage vs time.
Sta-Bil STORAGE(RED)
Sta-Bil MARINE 360(Blue)
Sta-Bil 360 PROTECTION(Amber)

* I honestly don't know the true difference between any of them except for what the label says.

If there is not a big price swing going to E0 that would be my choice for a vehicle that sits more than it moves.

Red Sta-bil if you use E0.

Marine Sta-bil if you use E10.

I use Redline SP1, has the highest amount of DEA on the market. Works great, there are several YouTube videos showing before and after treatment. The stuff works

Why bother, since none of them work anyway. Check YT for the video where 10 lawnmower motors were tested with stabilizers, they all failed.

Seafoam is my go to for stabilizing gas. I try to always run E0 in my mitsubishi to help prevent ethanol related wear. For winter storage, i throw a bottle of Seafoam in the gas tank and fill it up all the way. When all i could get was e10 fuels, i would put a bottle of lucas safeguard to help stabilize the fuel during the winter storage months.

I have a good success with this CRC product
It helps to keep the gasoline stable and at the same time clean the internals, car always start on first try, no hesitation on acceleration, even the car has been left a year without driving it (but I charge the battery regularly)

I used stabil + 95RON E5 when I put my ca in the garage for 18 months. No running problems when I re-started using problem.

E0 would bypass the potential problems with ethanol but can still go bad (evaporation, varnish to start with).

In addition to stabil, you can look at techron range for something suitable

how long do you take to run through a tank of fuel?

You say no information is out there on the car's compatibility with Ethanol - it is in your owners manual. With that, it doesn't hurt to treat every tank with Sta-bil or similar to be ready for storage conditions.

IDK either. I have & use in my stash...all for different apps & usage vs time.
Sta-Bil STORAGE(RED)
Sta-Bil MARINE 360(Blue)
Sta-Bil 360 PROTECTION(Amber)

* I honestly don't know the true difference between any of them except for what the label says.
Storage red had longer stabilized additive and stabil marine and 360 protection has pea ( or other cleaning additive in it .) I will go marine or 360 protection or Techron marine or power protection which also pea base this stabilizer up 2 years.

You say no information is out there on the car's compatibility with Ethanol - it is in your owners manual. With that, it doesn't hurt to treat every tank with Sta-bil or similar to be ready for storage conditions.

It doesn't. It simply says to use Unleaded petrol with a minimum octane rating of 95RON.

Bare in mind in '96 here in the UK Leaded petrol was widely available and there was no Ethanol in our petrol.

I ended up purchasing Stabil Storage which now doing some more reading I don't think was the best choice for my circumstances. Stabil 360 will keep fuel fresh for 12 months which is ample time and has enhanced cleaning additives.

It doesn't. It simply says to use Unleaded petrol with a minimum octane rating of 95RON.

Bare in mind in '96 here in the UK Leaded petrol was widely available and there was no Ethanol in our petrol.

I ended up purchasing Stabil Storage which now doing some more reading I don't think was the best choice for my circumstances. Stabil 360 will keep fuel fresh for 12 months which is ample time and has enhanced cleaning additives.
I apologize I failed to notice your location - in which case your post makes better sense to me now. I think the Stabil will do fine for your use.

Attachments

• 21093_KineticFuelTech_Rackcards-G.jpg
    21093_KineticFuelTech_Rackcards-G.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 12
The MSDS
has good info for once. Some exotic chemicals.

I also read https://www.originalair.com/the-best-fuel-stabilizers-the-good-bad-and-ugly

Cummins/Onan sells this for their generators: https://www.rvupgradestore.com/v/vspfiles/assets/pdf/Onafresh-SDS.pdf
which use metanol, xylene, and others to suspend water I suspect.

This https://www.hotshotsecret.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/SAFETY-DATA-SHEET-RVPGA-ADA-COMPLIANT.pdf

This guy tested a lot and little difference after 19 months.

I only know that ~3 months is the max I can let the Dodge 413 go without fresh gas.

Back