After years of treating gas the same way two of my small engines refuses to start.

Sometimes the polymeric end of the needle in the fuel bowl will swell over time and get stuck in the seat. Hence, I keep a carb rebuild kit or a spare needle and seat on hand for this reason. While the polymers are resistant to fuel infusion, over time I believe they develop microscopic scratches which allows some fuel intrusion and thereby results in swelling.

Good Luck!

This is really common. First thing I'd do is wack the carb with something to see if the needle will open then shoot a little compressed air in the fuel inlet to see if that gets it going. More than likely if its happened once it will need to be replaced/rebuilt to keep it from happening again.

How old is your Stabil? I've haven't been a fan of Stabil since I saw what happens to it after sitting in the bottle for two or three years.

Last couple of years I've very been happy using E0 marine gas with Seafoam mixed in.

If I had ethanol concerns, I'd wash ethanol out of the fuel (use the water/ethanol as windscreen washer fluid) and add some acetone to the remaining fuel to keep any water in the mix.

i saw all the crud in the carb bowl after a couple years of not running it dry.
Of course if you run it dry (fuel valve) after every mow etc your starter life is greatly reduced.
Takes the 316 about 30s of cranking to pump up after run dry.
Yeah those vacuum fuel pumps take a while to get fuel back into the carb. 318 here, the JD 300 series are great machines!

If I had ethanol concerns, I'd wash ethanol out of the fuel (use the water/ethanol as windscreen washer fluid) and add some acetone to the remaining fuel to keep any water in the mix.

Better use premium gas if you do that. Doing that with 87 octane E10 will leave you with 85 octane E0.

The way I see it - Stabil slowed down the gumming up process. Many small engine owners clean their carbs every season, and you got 10 seasons before a clean up is finally needed. Issue did not happen over night, took 10 years to develop. Clean it and move on.

For stored fuel, I only buy Shell brand non-ethanol (if you can trust the pump labeling) and add a double dose of blue marine Stabil along with some Techron. I haven't had any fuel issues for years since. Mowing machines have all started up in the Spring.

Carbs need to be serviced from time to time. Just the nature of the beast irrespective of which fuel you use.

If you want to go at it like a caveman you can keep it running for a bit on starting fluid and see if it 'Fixes itself'. When I was a kid some of the lazier or less mechanically inclined folks would do this though it certainly wouldn't be my first choice.

Running ethanol fuel through an AL carb is just a matter of time. I do it to but I know I'm living on borrowed time. I have access to E0 fuel so that is what I run in all of my Stihl 2 stroke stuff, a single 5 gallon metal pale will last me all year. I run E10 in my mowers though simply because they consume so much more fuel. On the mowers though, I bought and installed in line fuel shutoffs, so come winter, I shut off the fuel and drain the bowls, never any problems with clogged jets.

Carbs need to be serviced from time to time. Just the nature of the beast irrespective of which fuel you use.

If you want to go at it like a caveman you can keep it running for a bit on starting fluid and see if it 'Fixes itself'. When I was a kid some of the lazier or less mechanically inclined folks would do this though it certainly wouldn't be my first choice.
I wouldn't spray either into a running engine

I've never used Non Ethanol gas in any of OPE . The generator gets cranked at least once a month and I shut the fuel off and let it run till it dies . That's it . The ZTR gets used almost year round at least until all of the leaves finish falling . After that I crank it at least every two weeks . Nothing special for the trimmer or the edger . Long story short , I don't buy into the ethanol hysteria and it's never been an issue for me . The OP has something else going on .

I'm guessing you just got a bad batch of fuel. Even untreated gas should be decent after only a few months.
I've seen untreated gas be orange like Tropicana after 1 month.

As for the OP, I'm guessing since you are in MA that E-0 fuel is basically impossible to find like it is for me. I've been using a double-dose of Stabil Marine 360 in my E10 gas, since it seems to work the best against moisture. I've also only been buying gas 2.5 gallons at a time, and when I'm done using my equipment I turn the fuel valve off and let it run out of fuel especially if I'm going to be storing it for more than a week. I have found this method to work the best, and it works well for most of my small engine customers too.

My only suggestion is to maybe buy gas 1 gallon at a time if you use it very sparingly.

I'm so annoyed right now. For years, I have been purchasing 87 octane fuel and adding Sta-Bil without any problems. I follow the directions on the packaging. It has been a few months since I used my ride on lawn mower and generator and today neither one would start. Last time I used them they started right up. A squirt of carb cleaner and they both turn right over for a few seconds meaning both carbs are probably gummed up. This fuel was purchased in the summer (I believe there is no ethanol here during summer months) and the Sta-Bil was added right away into standard plastic gas containers. I even use the fuel shutoff value each and every time I use the lawnmower and generator to make sure all the fuel is used up in the carburetor.

This happened after the first year I owned my snow blower 10 years ago and using the method above I have since had 10 drama-free years of operation and most of that gas was E10. I'm only buying 10 gallons of gas at a time and I go through that in less than 6 months. What the heck else can I do to prevent this situation? Is the Sta-Bil 360 ethanol and storage a better product?
I run a side business of fixing snowblowers in my area.
I stopped using stabil a while ago, I still get tons of people who have gummed up carbs even though they use stabil.
2 years ago I used startron enzyme stuff. Zero issues and zero gummed up carbs. My customers who also switched to it, I never hear from them any more.
FWIW.

I run a side business of fixing snowblowers in my area.
I stopped using stabil a while ago, I still get tons of people who have gummed up carbs even though they use stabil.
2 years ago I used startron enzyme stuff. Zero issues and zero gummed up carbs. My customers who also switched to it, I never hear from them any more.
FWIW.

I've seen a lot of people who have used Startron with good results.

I've seen untreated gas be orange like Tropicana after 1 month.

As for the OP, I'm guessing since you are in MA that E-0 fuel is basically impossible to find like it is for me. I've been using a double-dose of Stabil Marine 360 in my E10 gas, since it seems to work the best against moisture. I've also only been buying gas 2.5 gallons at a time, and when I'm done using my equipment I turn the fuel valve off and let it run out of fuel especially if I'm going to be storing it for more than a week. I have found this method to work the best, and it works well for most of my small engine customers too.

My only suggestion is to maybe buy gas 1 gallon at a time if you use it very sparingly.
Boat Marinas will have E0 if they have a fuel pump

If you are not purchasing E0 fuel, it's very, very, very likely to contain 10% ethanol.
E0 meaning ethinol free?? If so it should have no ethinol in it. I’d bet his summer gas was not ethinol free either. Anymore if you want ethinol free you have to find ethinol free. Every place I’ve purchased ethinol free has tested to be completely ethinol free. It’s all I will run in my yard equipment. Ethinol free is getting harder to find and it will say ethinol free on the pump.

Back