which brand 1911????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
You want 1911 for the classical look or for 45 mm power? If what you are after is not the classical, SAR / EAA has a nice 45. K2, the magazine takes 14 rds.
The price is competitive too.

K2SS.jpg

That looks somewhat like a CZ-75

That gun is a cross between a Sig 226 and a CZ-75 and then chambered in .45 Acp with a 14 round magazine. Its really too bad a high quality American gun manufacturer didn't make that gun.

Wow what an awesome piece that would be!

Originally Posted By: AMC
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
You want 1911 for the classical look or for 45 mm power? If what you are after is not the classical, SAR / EAA has a nice 45. K2, the magazine takes 14 rds.
The price is competitive too.

K2SS.jpg

That looks somewhat like a CZ-75

That gun is a cross between a Sig 226 and a CZ-75 and then chambered in .45 Acp with a 14 round magazine. Its really too bad a high quality American gun manufacturer didn't make that gun.

Wow what an awesome piece that would be!

That would be, at an exorbitant price.

But the gun is made by a very very high quality Turkish manufacturer. That is how we can afford it.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
You want 1911 for the classical look or for 45 mm power?

45MM handgun? Wow, you could take out a tank with that howitzer. 1.77 inch bullets.
It is for real men.

Would be nice/interesting to have such a gun with 1.77 inch bullets. 14 round magazines.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
You want 1911 for the classical look or for 45 mm power?

45MM handgun? Wow, you could take out a tank with that howitzer. 1.77 inch bullets.
It is for real men.

Would be nice/interesting to have such a gun with 1.77 inch bullets. 14 round magazines.
laugh.gif

I imagine it would indeed be a wrist breaker.

Well I ended up getting a SAR K2P 9mm. With all the reviews I have seen and under $300 I couldn't pass it up.

Well let us know what you think
wink.gif
I shot the 45 and other than a heavy trigger it was nice well made bargain for the $$$

I've done a lot of research, and have decided on a Dan Wesson Heritage (their entry-level model).

As mentioned above, the DWs have forged frames, no MIM parts, and fit & finish is as close as you can get to a custom 1911 like Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Les Baer or Nighthawk, to name the big 4, while still being a production gun.

I also like the minimalist look of the Heritage - "everything you need and nothing you don't". No billboard on the slide, no forward slide serrations, etc.

Only thing is, since the slide to frame fit is so tight, the DW 1911s do require a specific break-in procedure. You're supposed to oil it with their oil before shooting, then break it down and clean and re-oil every 50 rds for the first few hundred rounds. Personally I don't have a problem with that, but some folks might.

The Dan Wesson Heritage is going for ~ $1050 on GunBroker right now. "Blem" models, which have some sort of cosmetic defect that is often hardly discernible, are selling for even less.

Only reason I don't have one yet is that i have a few other purchases I need to make first (new toolbox for work, new mountain bike, etc).

Originally Posted By: billt460
Who, (if anyone), here has had an MIM part fail in a 1911, or any other gun for that matter?

I'm interested in the answer to your question also. But the point, to me, is not whether MIM is as good as forged, or whether anyone has had a failure.

Rather, the point is that top manufacturers like the ones I mentioned "go the extra mile" to build their guns with the highest quality materials for the money.

Gives you that extra pride of ownership, knowing it's an heirloom-quality piece that you can pass down to your son or daughter, and they can pass down to their kid as well.

With the Dan Wesson, it's about value. You can easily spend more than what a DW Heritage costs, and end up with a gun that has inferior parts.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
You can easily spend more than what a DW Heritage costs, and end up with a gun that has inferior parts.

What exactly constitutes "inferior" parts? I don't think with todays modern manufacturing techniques, MIM is inferior. They use MIM parts in turbine engines on modern passenger jets.

Originally Posted By: billt460
You can easily spend more than what a DW Heritage costs, and end up with a gun that has inferior parts.

What exactly constitutes "inferior" parts? I don't think with todays modern manufacturing techniques, MIM is inferior. They use MIM parts in turbine engines on modern passenger jets.

Actually it is inferior. It is not as dense or as strong as a forged part. It's pointless to argue this.

A forged part will have longer MTBF than a cast or molded part.

It is not that the MIM parts are not adequate to the task, but it is that forged is better. Same with cast frames vs forged(as long as the steel is good. There have been forged 1911 colts made with soft forged steel)

You just have to decide if the cost of better materials is worth it to you and your budget.

Last edited:
Hmm... Maybe I SHOULD get a Colt, especially in light of the current situation at Colt.

But I almost certainly couldn't get as much gun for the $$$ with Colt. Instead, I'd be paying for the name.

Hmm... Maybe I SHOULD get a Colt, especially in light of the current situation at Colt.

But I almost certainly couldn't get as much gun for the $$$ with Colt. Instead, I'd be paying for the name.

Colt released a statement stating that production would continue despite the filing and that it is pretty much business as usual as far as availability of products. However, just about any Colt will likely appreciate in value, but if you get a Colt for an investment it is best to keep it a safe queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back