Which battery to buy from walmart lineup? - Best Value?

Walmart batteries around the east coast are East Penn. The serial number starts with "EP". Obviously that may not hold up across the entire country.

Your local Walmart may not have all 3 flavors of a given group size and/or recent MFG dates for a given group size.

Good to know. I should have said Duracell above for Sam's Club (not Energizer).

There are always a handful of East Penn batteries here in Arizona at a Walmart but never the group sizes I need.

All my vehicles require AGM batteries. This would be the Platinum line. Unfortunately, now never available in my area at the Walmarts stores. Usually the first place to check, as appear to be the "best" priced. Previously I have had good luck with them in previous German vehicles. Vehicles now need resetting for the new battery, and if the new battery specs (Ah) are not identical to the installed previous battery, recoding as well. Will need to invest in a higher end scanner with said capabilities when time comes, or go to dealership 😱

Battery shopping and swapping is now getting more complicated. Not convinced the new tech. pays dividends. Usually get at least 7/8 years from AGM batteries, as long as I keep them on AGM trickle chargers when there is an extended down (as in not driving) time.

Incidentally, cost of new battery alone is now between $200 - $250, so pays to give them the required extra care to maximize their life!

All my vehicles require AGM batteries. This would be the Platinum line. Unfortunately, now never available in my area at the Walmarts stores. Usually the first place to check, as appear to be the "best" priced. Previously I have had good luck with them in previous German vehicles. Vehicles now need resetting for the new battery, and if the new battery specs (Ah) are not identical to the installed previous battery, recoding as well. Will need to invest in a higher end scanner with said capabilities when time comes, or go to dealership 😱

Battery shopping and swapping is now getting more complicated. Not convinced the new tech. pays dividends. Usually get at least 7/8 years from AGM batteries, as long as I keep them on AGM trickle chargers when there is an extended down (as in not driving) time.

Incidentally, cost of new battery alone is now between $200 - $250, so pays to give them the required extra care to maximize their life!

Yup. I programmed a BMW battery the other day w/ ProTool ($80 + dongle) and it was interesting to see what available options & parameters the ECU would ingest for battery type. Since the vehicle was a track car we went with a H6 but without the programming that poor battery would have been smoked by the alternator in no time if it thought it was a 10 year old H8.

I'm up to almost 15 years on an H8 AGM battery. It will be 15 in November but I'm not sure it will make it that long once it gets cold. It's the OEM Varta battery which was JCI/Clarios. Lots of those Platinum AGM batteries are also JCI/Clarios, Champion, Die Hard, Advance Auto and Autozone. I liked Champion because they have a 4 year warranty instead of the standard 3 that most other sellers have. But maybe it doesn't matter if you get anywere from 8-15 years out of a battery.

Back