Which Amsoil Products are API cert ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We know they make great oil but which products won't void your warranty if you have a major engine /tranny/diff claim? The Xl 7500 series are currently certified, but what about any other oils, gear lubes, pre mix? Amsoil warrants it's product if used as directed and I'm sure it would do no harm if you follow their guidelines, but your XXX brand car or equipment dealer will likely say otherwise if an engine blows at 20K under warranty when he or the head office hears you used that "snake oil" stuff from Wisconsin in your engine instead of good old OEM etc. I would imagine Amsoil would test ok on analysis so their product held up, no warranty from them, and the car is wrecked with an unaproved oil used so no warranty from dealer. Even though it is likely their part failed but how can one prove it would have or would not have happened with xxx brand approved oil instead. Amsoil claims it is expensive to have oil formulas certified which is probably true, but I notice buck a quart no name stuff in the department stores that has a starburst symbol from API. Is this to say that the big oil company that bottled the cheapo stuff only neads one approval for that formula no matter who sells it under whatever name? Also do we need to change our oil at their mile time guidlines and filter too? What about filter brand. Magnuson Moss covers the brand issue but is their a standard like with oil. (You can use any kind you like if it meets these specs etc) What about viscosity if the say 5W20, can you use 5W30,10W30,20W50,SAE60, if they have an SL or SJ stamp?

None of the Amsoil products will void your warranty if what you choose is the correct viscosity for your car.

Before we get into the usual huge debate about meets, exceeds, etc...please read the engine oil page in your owner's manual and post the exact words. I'm serious read and type OR scan the page. Exact words.

Oils recommended for your vehicle can be identified by looking for the starburst symbol. This symbol indicates the oil has been certified by the American Petroleum Institute (API). Do not use any oil wich does not carry this starburst symbol. If you change your own oil, be sure you use oil that has the starburst symbol on the front of the container. If you have your oil changed for you, be sure the oil put into your engine is API certified for gasoline engines. You should also use the proper viscosity oil for your vehicle, as shown in the following chart. (Charts says 5w30 (preferred over all) for 100F and down 10w30 for 0F and up Do not use SAE 20w50 or any other grade oil that is not recommended) AS in the chart shown previously, SAE 5w30 is best for your vehicle. However, you can use SAE 10w30 if it's going to be 0F or above. These numbers on an oil container show it's viscosity, or thickness. Do not use other visocity oils, such as SAE 20w50.

NOTICE: Use only engine oil with the API Certified for Gasoline Engines Starburst Symbol. Failure to use the recommended oil can result in engine damage not covered by your warranty.

GM Goodwrench oil meets all the requirements for you vehicle. If you are in an area where the temperature falls below -20F, consider using either an SAE 5w30 synthetic oil, or an SAE 0w30 oil. Both will provide easier cold starting and better protection for your engine at extremely low temperatures.

Engine Oil Additives: Don't add anything to your oil. The recommened oils with the starburst symbol are all you will need for good performance and engine protection.

When to change your engine oil: Your vehicle has a computer that lets you know wheno to change your engine oil. This is not based on mileage, but on engine revolutions and engine operating temperature. When the computer has calculated that the oil needs changing, the GM Oil Life system will indicate that a change is necessary. The mileage between oil and filter changes will vary depening on how you drive your vehicle -- usually between 3000 and 10,000 miles since your last oil and filter change. Under severe conditions, the system may come on before 3000 miles. Never drive you vehicle more than 10,000 miles or 12 months 9which ever occurs first) without an oil change. The system won't detect dust in the oil So, if you drive in a dusty area, be sure to change your oil and filter every 3000 miles or sooner. Remember to reset the Change Engine Oil whenever the oil is changed.

This is from pages 6-16 and 6-17 of the manul for a 2001 Gmc Yukon. Mine is the Xl (= a suburban) with a 4.8 and all the options except sun roof and cassette. I have received several notices in the mail for our other GMs from the corporation about using syn oil in the winter. They say it is a good idea, so does the manual. I already do in every thing. One guy I know says his 01 or 02 GMC truck with 4.8 owners manual warns not to use syn oil. I think he probably mis-read the part about "DO" use syn oil. Plus they have been sending out those notices promoting it. He is one of those Quaker state 4x4 brand ever 3000 nothing else works guys. But I will ask to see where it says no syn next time I see him. Back to the warranty issue Pablo does this mean (unless there is some other hidden warranty contract that oil type and change interval is up to me unless they can prove that is what wrecked the vehicle or parts? If so what good are any of the oil certs except for more knowledgeable people to judge oil by? I also own 2 Harleys and they are the master of implying warranty obligation.

quote:

Originally posted by hk33ka1:
Oils recommended for your vehicle can be identified by looking for the starburst symbol. This symbol indicates the oil has been certified by the American Petroleum Institute (API). Do not use any oil wich does not carry this starburst symbol.

NOTICE: Use only engine oil with the API Certified for Gasoline Engines Starburst Symbol. Failure to use the recommended oil can result in engine damage not covered by your warranty.

Looks like if you want to use Amsoil, the XL7500 is your only choice as far as your GM warranty is concerned.
shocked.gif

Actually, I will say this about what your manual says: it's not exactly correct. The Starburst Symbol is not the ONLY indication of an API certified oil. The API "doughnut" with the API service rating(s), SAE grade, and the Energy Conserving rating, if applicable, is another indicator of an API certified oil. What the Starburst indicates is GF-3 compliance. For example, the Rotella T Synthetic I'm using is a fully certified API SL oil, but you won't see any Starburst on the bottle. What you will see is the API doughnut with "API Service CH-4/SL" in the top hemisphere and SAE 5w40 in the center.

Using the API certified oil may save you some hassle if there is any warrantee issue, however my understanding is they can't void the warantee simply because you didn't use an API certified oil. They would have to prove that it was an oil related failure and not some manufacturing defect.

The fact is the dealer/manufacturer will look for any excuse to void a warranty claim and if they know you used a non API certified oil it gives them an out. Sure, you can go to court and win and after 3-5 years maybe get your money back from the repair. Don't count on the Amsoil warranty, they have never paid off as every failure has been due to mechanical difficulty with the engine not the oil.

Their warranty states the oil is fine for 25,000 (non certified oils) if changed once a year with a filter at 6 months or 12,500 miles if Amosil filter if other brand then in accordance with your owners manual. As noted though, the warranty isn't worth the paper it is printed on.

So if the warranty is an issue use only the XL series or go to Mobil 1 or a Schaeffers blend. Redline and Schaeffers synthetic are not API certified either.

Can someone explain to me how in the heck they would know if the oil is API certified or not unless you are going to tell them that, daring them to find fault with what you did??

If the oil was suspected of causing engine damage, they would have to prove it. I would like to here of people who have had warranty problems related to the type of oil that was used. What is more harmfull it all the mixing of oil I am hearing people here talking about, adding additives to good oil, experiementing by blending different brands and viscosities.

quote:

Failure to use the recommended oil can result in engine damage not covered by your warranty.

It does not say "Will", it says can. I my engine were to fail and the dealer said to me, We are not going to warranty the engine because we think you used drain oil in you new Corvette to save a few $$". Does anyone really beleive this would happen?

In my many years I have noticed that the people who have to most problems with dealers and warranty issues are those that are confrontational. By that I mean, they wallk in the door with a chip on thier shoulder, looking for a fight and being very unreasonable by making demands.

[ December 17, 2002, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back