Which Amsoil and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If an Amsoil oil is not on the recomnended list, does it
mean that Amosil will not stand behind it. I am using
HDD in my 2004 Toyota truck. Toyota calls for 5W-30 SL.
Amosil lists it for gasoline engines. So why would there be a warranty problem. Would the Amsoilwarranty not cover it?

Quote:

If an Amsoil oil is not on the recomnended list, does it
mean that Amosil will not stand behind it. I am using
HDD in my 2004 Toyota truck. Toyota calls for 5W-30 SL.
Amosil lists it for gasoline engines. So why would there be a warranty problem. Would the Amsoilwarranty not cover it?

Good question. While I am not employed by Amsoil, nor can I speak for the corporate legal side, the answer is "within reason". If the HDD is defective and it toasts your engine, Amsoil is on the hook. Simply because it is a claimed API SL 5W-30 is good enough for warranty coverage, because as you state that's what Toyota asks for.

The reason I say "within reason" - Not to be ridiculous but 75W-140 is not listed for use in my AT. If I put it in and the tranny no go........well I'm onmy own.

The guide is a guide, but there is always some small print:

Quote:

DISCLAIMER & TECHNICAL CONCERNS

Specifications contained on this website are based on manufacturers' information and were believed accurate at the time of publication. Our recommendations apply to AMSOIL products only, as we cannot be responsible for products from other manufacturers. Always compare fluids and lubricants that were installed in the vehicle with those replacing them during service. Never install more fluid or lubricant than what is considered adequate according to gradients on dipstick or level of filler hole. Fill and drain locations are for reference only. Failure to perform adequate inspections or obtain proper resolution will limit or negate any liability toward AMSOIL, Inc.

Models introduced midyear may not have the same specifications as those produced earlier.

If any discrepancies are noted, they can be simply reported to AMSOIL by clicking on the "Report Discrepancies" button found on the top of each application page. All discrepancies are reviewed and if you would like a response, please indicate so by placing your email address in the box provided on the form.

ssmokn, Amsoil 0w-30 does have some positive qualities. It has been shown to reduce oil consumption, lower operating temps and increase hp/mpg. It's supposedly based on the same chemistry as the Series 2000 20w-50 racing oil. These oils possibly contain more esters. Regardless though, the 5w-30 and 10w-30 is all you need and with the latest additive chemistry they are using, it's tough to find better 30wts IMHO.

Amsoil ASL/ATM/ASM are using 260ppm of boron with a generous dose of Calcium to keep the engine clean. 3000+ppm.

Mobil 1 and PP would also work very well. I've seen really good UOA's with both in Subs. I'd use PP over M1 right now. Mobil 1 IMHO has really fallen off over the last 1.5 years.

"Within Reason". Having written warranty claims for over 25 years, including automotive, this is one of the issues that does come up at times.

Due to this, whenever I go away or consider going away from manufacture specs, I request in writting, that using what the aftermarket suggests will be covered without reservation. I've tried this with Amsoil and have mixed results.

We've debated this on the ATF forum but the bottom line is a salesmen is still a salesmen and when I can't get a written assurance of a product for it's supposed application, I stay away,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, very far away.

Go ahead and flame away but the facts can't be changed!!!!

Quote:

Mobil 1 and PP would also work very well. I've seen really good UOA's with both in Subs. I'd use PP over M1 right now. Mobil 1 IMHO has really fallen off over the last 1.5 years.

Buster, you seem to praise M1 but then are critical of M1. What are you basing the "fallen off" on - UOAs, their possible use of GIIIs, or their marketing, or ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back