Where to read about manufacturers oil specifications?

I am sure most of the veteran members are going to chime and point to search.

I have searched, and I have read quite a bit.

Background- I have driven diesels for the better part of 20 years. Lots of VW’s, Cummins, powerstroke, and we recently just added an ecodiesel 2022.

All of our diesels have had good success. However, finding Ms-12991 spec oil for the ecodiesel has been somewhat challenging. Which has brought me to the boards here and reading. From what I have read this spec oil tends to bring a “high” for new standards with a DPF SAPS oil…. Favors motor longevity over epa mandated items…. With the challenge to find the oil I am curious as to where I can find and read various manufacturers requirements to obtain certifications/compliance.

What makes an ms12991 vs a vw 507.00 or a mb 229.5?
To some degree I get specific weights (507) amongst many other things- but where could I read to understand what separates an ms12991 spec from a mb229.5 spec?

If this has specifically been covered in another thread- please post a link, I obviously didn’t find it.

If the response requires a novel to explain, and an engineering degree to understand, unfortunately, I’m out- just a regular dude with ocd for maintenance…

List of Chrysler MS-12991 Engine Oil for the 3.0 EcoDiesel Jeep Wrangler​

This is a list of oils that have the Chrysler MS-12991 and API SN Certification/Standard/Approval for use in the Jeep Wrangler 3.0 EcoDiesel. The 3.0 EcoDiesel uses 9 Quarts of Engine Oil

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40
Ravenol 5W-40 VST
Valvoline 5W-40 MST SynPower
Shell Ultra Helix 5W-40
Total Quartz 9000 5W-40
Redline Full Synthetic 5W-40
Mopar 5W-40 Engine Oil - 68231021AA is for the 5 liter jug. 68231020AA is for the 1 quart bottle.
PENNZOIL ULTRA® EURO 5W-40 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
Motul 8100 X-Cess Gen 2 Motor Oil 109774
MOTUL 8100X-CLEAN 5W-40
Quaker State Euro Synthetic

Hope this helps, you can also Google MS-12991 oil spec Bitog and see what comes up.

I am sure most of the veteran members are going to chime and point to search.

I have searched, and I have read quite a bit.

Background- I have driven diesels for the better part of 20 years. Lots of VW’s, Cummins, powerstroke, and we recently just added an ecodiesel 2022.

All of our diesels have had good success. However, finding Ms-12991 spec oil for the ecodiesel has been somewhat challenging. Which has brought me to the boards here and reading. From what I have read this spec oil tends to bring a “high” for new standards with a DPF SAPS oil…. Favors motor longevity over epa mandated items…. With the challenge to find the oil I am curious as to where I can find and read various manufacturers requirements to obtain certifications/compliance.

What makes an ms12991 vs a vw 507.00 or a mb 229.5?
To some degree I get specific weights (507) amongst many other things- but where could I read to understand what separates an ms12991 spec from a mb229.5 spec?

If this has specifically been covered in another thread- please post a link, I obviously didn’t find it.

If the response requires a novel to explain, and an engineering degree to understand, unfortunately, I’m out- just a regular dude with ocd for maintenance…
Other than some tidbits leaked out by industry insiders most of the information is not available so you won't be able to make a direct comparison. The general assumption has always been that European automakers have higher performance standards due to their history of long drain intervals and operating conditions (ex, congested city combined with autobahn). Another assumption is that an oil with more approvals was/is considered to be a better all around product. After that it's a matter of to what degree to blenders develop a product which exceeds the performance requirements of various automakers.

Back