Where to put the 'e' - spelling lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.
One little letter can make such a difference.

A friend can become a fiend without an "r."

Immortal can become immoral, without the "t."

And I heard that once a newspaper columnist wrote "the masses," but got the space in the wrong spot, resulting in "them asses."

if brakes break, they won't brake because they're broke.

ok, ok, broken....gimme a break.

The proper spelling for the oil company is "Mobil". There is no "e" on the end.

"Silicone", on the other hand, has an "e". "Silicon", without the "e", is not a rubbery substance... it is pretty much sand.

Quiz on Friday.

Signed: Guy with a little too much free time today.

quote:

A friend can become a fiend without an "r."

Immortal can become immoral, without the "t."

And I heard that once a newspaper columnist wrote "the masses," but got the space in the wrong spot, resulting in "them asses."

Yep, one little extra "e" converts an oil company into a coastal Alabama city.

The "Silicon/silicone" thing is a bit more confusing. Does your UOA result indicate you've got sand in your engine (silicon) or leaching from your rubbery seals (silicone, I suppose)

Ooooops, there's another one -- leaching vs. leeching. Thinking about the latter is enough to curdle one's blood, unless of course, you're being leeched, in which case, the leech spit will keep your blood from curdling at all. . .
tongue.gif

quote:

Punctuation is vital as well.
Remember the famous Panda who eats, shoots and leaves?

Yes indeed it is. At the beginning of Dirty Harry, as the infamous bank robbery unfolds, Clint is eating a greasy hotdog, and so is definitely not a vegetarian. Thus, the one comma is critical, as in:

Once again, Harry Callahan eats, shoots, and leaves. . .
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Public and Pubic?

I'm ashamed I even thought of that one ....

"Silicon" is a naturally occurring element -- the most prevalent in the earth's crust, if I recall correctly. "Silicone" is a compound. The two terms are not interchangeable, or Anna Nicole Smith would have rocks on her chest and the beach would be, well, it'd be different for sure.

-- Paul W.

always remember a friend is a friend to the end

and you always have a piece of pie

it's nice to visit silicone valley, It can be found at any strip club! silicon valley is not as nice of a place, but contains alot of technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back